for all who zigzag!

rubixcyoob
rubixcyoob Posts: 395
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I just have a few small questions when it comes to zigzagging, if you would be so kind :)

What made you start, and continue with, zigzagging?
What does your average week intake allowance look like?
Since starting zigzagging what weight loss have you had?

Any other info, tips or advice for a newbie? :)

Replies

• fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    bump
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    I don't do zig zagging on purpose, but often on weekends or at picnics, eat more than I should so try to stay at least a couple hundred calories under my goal at least 2 or 3 other days of the week. I've continued to lose weight that way.
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    what is zig zagging?
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    I'll preface this with the fact that I'm 5' 4.5" with initially 25 - 30 lbs to lose.

What made you start, and continue with, zigzagging?

After losing about 2.5 lbs a week for my initial weeks on MFP, I was approaching a milestone on the scale that i was not able to break for the past year and I had a week when I lost only .5 lb and I wasn't hungry enough to eat all of my MFP calories. I felt I needed to mix it up. I tried a one day "cheat day", but my stomach had shrunk and I wasn't able to eat that much more on my "cheat day". I didn't want that big of a swing in my calories and I didn't want my stomach to be big enough to enable binging. i research zig zagging (aka calorie cylcing) on the web and on MFP boards. I used a free calculator at www.freedieting.com and I was off and running.

What does your average week intake allowance look like?

(before exercise calories, which I mostly eat back as often as i can):

Sunday 1283
    Monday 1283
    Tuesday 1200
    Wednesday 1535
    Thursday 1283
    Friday 1200
    Saturday 1409

Since starting zigzagging what weight loss have you had?

I broke through my plateau weight and have steadily lost about 1.5 lbs a week and I feel this schedule is much easier to maintain for me. I enjoy it and will continue.

So... if you decide to do it, the next question is how to set your calorie goals in MFP?

Here's how I do it:

I set my MFP daily goal to be my lowest calorie target of the week (e.g., 1200).

I then set up a custom cardio exercise for each day of the week: (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc.).

Each custom exercise has the number of calories above 1200 that are my target for that day. I put them in as X calories burned in 1 minute. For the couple of days that my calorie target is 1200, I set that custom exercise to be 1 calorie burned for 1 minute of Tuesday exercise, for example, since MFP doesn't allow 0 calories burned for a custom exercise.

Then, each day, I add that day's cardio custom exercise as a tracked exercise and the extra calories get added to my MFP total. This works for me, since I'm used to eating back exercise calories, anyway.

You can message me directly if you have any trouble setting this up or have further questions I may be able to help you with.

Here are my custom exercises to include my zig zag calories (based on a 1200 MFP daily target), based on a schedule from a free calculator at www. freedieting.com:

Sun 1 minute 83 calories
    Mon 1 minute 83 calories
    Tue 1 minute 1 calorie
    Wed 1 minute 335 calories
    Thur 1 minute 83 calories
    Fri 1 minute 1 calorie
    Sat 1 minute 209 calories

Good luck!
  • susanb_16
    susanb_16 Posts: 131 Member
    bump
  • Rachel925
    Rachel925 Posts: 15
    Bump
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    @ Sallho3

Wow! Thank you! I'm gonna "Google" it and find out more. :-)
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Found this on-line... Most people just think about rule #4 and forget the others. :-)

Rule One: Always eat at least 5 meals a day (preferably 6 or 7). Two or three meals simply isn't often enough. Your blood sugar levels will be controlled (and thus your cravings), you'll get protein in small amounts throughout the day to support growth and recovery, and (most important) the enzymes that store fat will be produced in far smaller amounts, making your body far less capable of storing fat! Simply, by providing your body with a consistent and frequent supply of calories -- life-giving energy -- its need to store fat is significantly reduced. Conversely, when you eat infrequently, your body recognizes a "famine" situation, and the enzymes are produced in large quantities to "swoop down" on every calorie you consume in order to store it as fat in preparation for the "famine" to come.

Rule Two: Remember the 1-2-3 rule. In each of your 5 meals, approximately 1 part of the calories should come from fats, 2 parts from protein and 3 parts from carbohydrates. This is a guideline, not a hard-and-fast law. Just keep the fat intake down to a low level (do not eliminate fat, as some fat is essential for maintaining good health), consume enough protein to support growth and recovery, and carbohydrates commensurable to your energy output (carbos are your body’s preferred energy fuel source).

Rule Three: When you sit down to eat, ask yourself, "What am I going to be doing for the next three hours of my life?" Then, if you're taking a nap, eat less than the average amount of carbos; if you're planning on being active, eat more than the average amount of carbos. For average between-meal activities, eat an average sized meal. Always keeep your protein intake up to an appropriate level. This simple system ensures that you'll never put fat on from eating excess calories, or cannibalize your muscles from eating too little.

Rule Four: Another thing to remember whether you're trying to lose fat or adding lean muscle is to "zigzag" your caloric intake. For example, if you want to lose fat, reduce your calories during the week, but "pig out" on Friday night and Saturday. This will 1) readjust your BMR upwards, 2) support lean tissue building, and 3) give you a psychological "lift." Remember, in Rule One you learned that your fat storing enzymes were no longer a threat, so you CAN pig out once in awhile! In fact, if you want to put on lean muscle, you MUST! There is no way you can maximize lean muscle mass while on a calorie-restricted diet.

Rule Five: Your reduced intake of cazlories makes it almost impossible to get all of the nutrients your body needs to remain healthy and active. So, it's important to supplement your diet with vitamins, minerals and other carefully selected substances to ensure maximum progress toward your fitness, health and fat loss goals.
  • rmrainbow
    rmrainbow Posts: 37
    bump
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Not to be contrarian, but I don't follow the five "rules" above, and I don't necessarily even agree with some of them.

My philosophy is that "pigging out" should not be part of our mind set if we want to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. I think "pigging out" two days a week can definity undue much of the positive things you do during the week, and can easily turn in to three days or four days of pigging out. Also, on my higher calorie days, I strive to not eat unhealthy things. I simply have larger portions of healthy meals, or add some higher calorie dishes such as brown rice pasta, etc. "Bad" foods are only an occasional item (2 - 3 times/month, max)

I also don't agree with rule number 5. The lower the calories you eat, it does become harder to get your vitamins and minerals, etc. which is why it increasingly becomes important to eat more nutritionally dense foods (you got it... fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, etc.). Your body does not process vitamin pills the way it absorbs nutrients from the foods you eat, and we should not become overly reliant on popping a pill as a solution, so it's best not to rely on them (except perhaps Vitamin D, B12, etc.) unless you are under a doctor's supervision and have tests that show you are low in some areas.

As you can see... I'm pretty passionate about nutrition... :smile:
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    I decided to give it a shot because I was stuck for about a month and a half, I would lose and gain the same 1lb over and over so I thought I would give it a try. I've screwed up my metabolism in the past so I figured a decent drop through the week would be good.

mine looks like this:
    Saturday: 1700
    Sunday: 1300
    Monday: 1800
    Tuesday: 1500
    Wednesday: 1700
    Thursday: 1300
    Friday: 1200

I don't PIG OUT as someone called it on the high days, I still eat healthy and I dont eat if I'm not hungry and don't beat myself up if I don't reach 1800. It's a GOAL for a reason, it's not a necessity that I reach , exactly.
    Oh, and I lost 3lb in a week of doing this after not for months.
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    bump
  • Sandbug
    Sandbug Posts: 200 Member
    Bump
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Bump - my first week of zig-zagging this week. Hope it will get me off this plateau. My calories look like this:

Monday 1649
    Tuesday 1520
    Wednesday 1979
    Thursday 1649
    Friday 1520
    Saturday 1814
    Sunday 1649
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    I just started, I'm 6 days into it. Mine's a simplified version because I know myself and know I wouldn't keep up with random amounts to eat each day. My calorie goal is 1400 a day to lose 1 lb a week. That's 9800 a week. So if I eat
    Day 1 1200
    Day 2 1200
    Day 3 1900
    Day 4 1200
    Day 5 1200
    Day 6 1900
    Day 7 1200
    Day 8 1200
    day 9 1900
    Ect ect ect then it adds up to my 9800 calories a week.

I started it because I've tired EVERYTHING else to bust through this plateau. No results yet but I'm gonna give it a good 2 weeks before I decide if it's working for me.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    FYI - I used a free calculator at www.freedieting.com too.
  • bump!
  • lk149504
    lk149504 Posts: 82 Member
    bump
  • claeysm
    claeysm Posts: 85
    Ok so i tried that site some of you posted and this is what it said i should do, do i do the ex fat loss or just fat loss?

Ex Fat Loss Fat Loss Maintain
    Monday 1151 1535 1918
    Tuesday 1137 1228 1535
    Wednesday 1381 1841 2302
    Thursday 1151 1535 1918
    Friday 1137 1381 1726
    Saturday 1266 1688 2110
    Sunday 1151 1535 1918
  • claeysm
    claeysm Posts: 85
    also i did try and space out the numbers and stuff but it didnt work when i pressed enter so the first column is the extreme, second the normal fat loss, and last the maintain

(in the above post)
This discussion has been closed.