Quick and Cheap meals for on the go!

Options
alyssag2011
alyssag2011 Posts: 46 Member
I currently work two part time jobs and work crazy hours. So I'm looking for some quick and easy but also cheap meals to prep to take to work with me! Thinking mostly soups and salads. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Make a lot of soup or chili in a slow cooker and pack it in portion sizes for lunch each week. I pack boiled eggs each day and prep fruits and veggies on Sundays for the work week. Lots of prep and planning, but it keeps me on course.
  • philsimon1980
    philsimon1980 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have the time & grill prepping chicken/fish once a week is huge and sets me up for lunch at work. I always do 6-8 chicken breasts at a time and put potatoes/rice and veggies on the side.
    I also keep tuna creations packets in my desk - a little pricy but good protein and easy.
  • Angelwingz99
    Angelwingz99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I always cook 3 cups of quinoa for the week. I really like adding a can of black beans and chicken. I first start my quinoa and I usually cook It in chicken broth or I chop up a bouillon cube. Next I season the chicken with whatever I have and I cook it four minutes on each side to get nice and brown. I remove it from the heat and I cut it into tiny bite-size pieces. Then I rinse my beans and add it to the quinoa. This entire process literally takes 20 minutes and I have meals for the rest of the week. So fast and super easy. Hardest part is boiling water and using a can opener.

Quinoa is an acquired taste like coffee. Try it three times before you hate it.
    Hint keep it in a tight container or your car will smell like chicken and quinoa. Also. Chicken is wayyyy cheaper if you buy It at the butchers counter in the grocery store. In Seattle It is around $13 for two chicken breasts compared to the five dollars at the counter
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of soup. Some of my favorites start with the same base - saute onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt & pepper. Add a flavorful protein like spicy sausage (not the most healthy, but you don't need to add a lot). Add chicken stock, a bay leaf, a can of drained/rinsed white beans and then add some greens. Top w/a bit of grated parm cheese.

Another favorite is red lentil. Saute onion, minced ginger for 5 or 10 minutes, then I add red curry paste, a tablespoon of tomato paste, & garlic for a minute or two. Then add water and rinsed red lentils - you can add a cooked sweet potato or not, 1/2 can of diced tomatoes and a half can of coconut milk. Yum! one of my favorites.

I like butternut squash soup as well. Roast the squash (I use butternut, acorn & sweet potato or a carrot) & an onion or 2. Then add in a soup pot the cooked squash & onion, chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, add in a tablespoon of molasses and a teaspoon or two of curry powder. Add some cream if you like, but I never have it in the house.

Obviously you can adjust the ingredients to your taste - soup has become a staple in my house. And it freezes well, so put some in the freezer and a month later when you forgot to cook, you've got meals!
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Make a bunch of rice in a rice cooker - put in fridge. Buy frozen (pre cooked) chicken, Frozen veggies and sauces. Make chicken bowls to go
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Making a big crockpot soup at the beginning of the week and portioning it off and freezing it is my go-to right now, I just made Japanese mushroom soup the other day and it was fantastic :) Pinterest is your friend.