Plateau

Options
I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks. I am balancing between 187 - 190. I work out 4-5 times a week for 30 min to an hour. What should I do to kick start my weight loss again? So frustrated

Replies

• peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    look at your body how much has that changed i went 6 weeks without dropping a pound but lost inches instead.
    Other than that the normal things are you weighing everything sometimes it just takes time and will start to fall off again.
  • harrisq958
    harrisq958 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you I will start taking my body measurements.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How's your logging? Working out doesn't mean anything out you're eating too much. I think the majority of plateaus are just bad logging.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Have you recalculated for daily calorie goals with your current weight? As you get smaller it takes less calories just to maintain or lose depending on your height, weight, age, and activity level. How many calories are you currently eating? Have you slowed down on daily activities or are you eating any differently?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If female, where are you at in your cycle? Women retain water at certain times of the month, making it so that the only really "fair" comparisons of weight are at the same point in different cycles since water weight can be significant.

Even if you're male, it could still be water retention if you've recently changed your exercise habits or eaten high sodium foods.

But it's also worth making sure you're logging your calories accurately.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You should wait another 2 - 3 weeks.. cannot be in a true stall if you 1000% on point with logging and exercise calories you eat back.

1) Check your logging etc.
    2) Make sure your exercise calories are not over inflated and eating back too many. If you have lost weight in the past, exercise calorie burns may be less..meaning tend to burn less as we lose weight and/or become adapted to the same exercise. Might want to change volume/intensity or the routine all together.
    3) Has your day to day activity level decreased any in the past weeks? Sometimes we may not be moving around as much during the day as we have been.
    4) Have you been changing weight goal in MFP at each 10 pound loss?
    5) Make sure your weight loss goal to lose each week is not too aggressive.. as you get closer to goal, slowing your rate of loss will be important.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am retired so I workout in the morning. I going to do another 30 minute cardio in the afternoon see if that doesn't kick start my metabolism.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    harrisq958 wrote: »
    I have not lost any weight in 3 weeks. I am balancing between 187 - 190. I work out 4-5 times a week for 30 min to an hour. What should I do to kick start my weight loss again? So frustrated

In these 3 weeks have you gone from 190 to 187 or 187 to 190? Either way that's 3lbs, so if it was a loss that's 1lb a week, if you've gained in the last 3 week you need to check your calories burned verses your calories eaten.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    Read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10459226/youre-not-plateauing/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    I am having the same problem. I am retired so I workout in the morning. I going to do another 30 minute cardio in the afternoon see if that doesn't kick start my metabolism.

You can't "kickstart" your metabolism. Doing cardio will increase your energy expenditure and therefore create a bigger deficit so you may lose weight.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »

You can't "kickstart" your metabolism. Doing cardio will increase your energy expenditure and therefore create a bigger deficit so you may lose weight.

I'm not talking about a hard cardio. Just an increase of my resting heart rate from 60 to no higher than 109. Being retired I got get the physical activity like I use to. It's not about burning calories. It's about booting the heart rate for short periods of time through out the day.