Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gamification of Health and Fitness

Options
124»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've never been motivated by challenges, like in the challenge forum.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me, depends on the challenge. Committing to doing something can be motivating for me, but for gamification I was thinking of stuff like the Harry Potter challenge.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I would be one of those who is impacted and motivated by this. Without a goal / purpose I'm not getting the motivation I need to accomplish a task. This is how the successful become so - documenting goal, establishing plans, and reinforcing good habits.

There was a fascinating TED talk about the use of the Achievement points on the Microsoft XBox 360 platform and how this could be expanded into other elements to social engineer from a positive reinforcement rather than punitive measures. He made several proposals on the potential of this and it would be remarkable if implemented correctly. For example - maintain a BMI within range and receive achievement points that result in tax deductions, lowered insurance premiums, etc.

The rise of Fitbit and similar tracking tools are nothing more than this - positive reinforcements through challenges. MFP uses the same model in a similar manner as well although indirectly.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I don't really do it with my food intake, but ive been "gamifying" my life for ages just to make myself a more organized person. Ive used Habitica (a productivity website) to organize my life for about 4 years now and it works on a reward system, and turns your life into an RPG. I didn't think it would work long-term but I honestly don't know what id do without it now. It keeps me productive and hitting all my goals and making sure im getting everything accomplished in my day to day life, and makes it fun!

I have a daily goal of X minutes of exercise daily and if I fail, I lose health points. If I succeed, I get coins which go to purchasing the little rewards ive set up for myself, like a new outfit or a new book or something of that sort. If I fail too many times, my character dies, and I lose all my coins. Its a bit of an honor system but if you stay honest with it, it can be very motivating.
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I like and use Zombies, Run, so I like some of it. I'd still run even if I didn't use the app. Music suits me fine. An audio book would be even better.

OMG.. Did someone say Zombies,Run
    My favorite running app
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I also use an app for my treadmill runs called RunSocial
    You download it to your phone or iPad and you can "run" in different countries
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    [I don't see what's wrong with boutique gyms, or having a mani/pedi after your workout.

you know what i want? a gym that is also a laundromat.

i would KILL to belong to something like that. why has nobody ever come up with that?
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Gonna be an @$$ here but Game theory is a theory of "the study of mathematical models of conflict and cooperation between intelligent rational decision-makers." Ie statistical probabilities related to rational decision making. Think "Beautiful Mind"

Gaming Psychology or Behavioral conditioning is probably the theory used in the "gamification" of health and fitness.

carry on.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    [I don't see what's wrong with boutique gyms, or having a mani/pedi after your workout.

i would KILL to belong to something like that. why has nobody ever come up with that?

I built my own world in The Sims 3 when I played regularly. My proudest feature was my gym / laundromat / coffee shop , with on-site daycare.

In College there was a laundromat that had a bar and restaurant next door, They also had a small study lounge. Close enough.

They also had an awesome folding service. When my husband and I go back for games occasionally we bring our dirty laundry with us.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

I built my own world in The Sims 3 when I played regularly. My proudest feature was my gym / laundromat / coffee shop , with on-site daycare.

see? is this not a business idea that totally has to happen?

#someone else do it. i can't businessman my way to the end of the block. right now all i have is the terrible temptations of a gym built on the top floor over a library. oh gawd there are times when that's hard.

• DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I know there are tons of people who would do best with a leveling up system. It would inspire them to compete against them self.