Any Pebble users?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
My Pebble Time 2 will maybe arrive next month (I pledged on kickstarter) and the core maybe in January. Has anyone of you a Pebble and is using it as a health watch? What's your experience with it? I suppose calorie burns will be off like with every other device, but more general things such as step counting?

Replies

• qwikstreet
    qwikstreet Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know as well. Pebble is in my top 3 choices for a watch. I like that it has a fitness aspect and is stylish for the office.

Your Pebble Time 2 is coming next month? Is this a early release for Kickstarter supporters? I'll be kicking myself if thats the case. I almost plunked down the cash a few months back.
  • yirara
    Options
    qwikstreet wrote: »
    I'm interested to know as well. Pebble is in my top 3 choices for a watch. I like that it has a fitness aspect and is stylish for the office.

Your Pebble Time 2 is coming next month? Is this a early release for Kickstarter supporters? I'll be kicking myself if thats the case. I almost plunked down the cash a few months back.

I hope it's not delayed as I'm extremely curious! The Pebble 2 is shipping now I think.
    I was looking for a smartwatch that looks like a real watch and not a big plasticky sportswatch, but with decent battery time. I'm still uncertain about the colour though. Being a not too big woman I opted for silver, though the black one might also be nice. I haven't really decided yet. Only the golden one is out. I really don't like gold.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Yes, i'm a pebble user. I currently have a Pebble Time, but I also pledged for the Time 2 on Kickstarter.

Absolutely love it.

I do use it as a health watch. Seems to pretty pretty accurate with the step count, I also really love the sleep monitor as well.

Hoping that the TIme 2 with the built in HRM, will give an even more accurate calorie burn.
  • yirara
    Options
    Great to hear!

But please don't expect more accurate calorie burns from an HR meter. In running and walking, calorie burn is pretty much a function of bodyweight, distance and a constant (running: bodyweight in lbs * distance in miles 8 0.67, and use the constant 0.3 for walking).

HR is not related to calorie burn.
    • If I use my asthma meds my HR is elevated, yet this has no influence on calorie burn.The same for colds, being hyperthyroid or other things.
    • going to a sauna or higher temperatures cause an increase in HR, yet also don't signify higher burns
    • or imagine you sit in front of the telly. An ice van stops in front of the house. You run outside to get an ice cream. Your hr goes up and still is higher when you stand at the van. You're not burning more calories then. The same is true for any sport that is not steady state cardio.
    • and if you've no measured your maxHR accurately your measurements will be way off anyway. My maxHR is a bit extreme, being about 30bpm higher than this terribly wrong equation. Just standing up would give me massive calorie burns that simply aren't there.
    • And imagine you run regularly and you get better. After a while you're able to run the same distance at the same speed. Yet your HR remains lower. Do you burn less calories even though you do the same kind of work? Nope, not true.

I do use a HR monitor when running, but mainly to get an idea where my fitness level is, and if a new asthma attack might be imminent. If I only do a slow, relaxed run, yet my HR is very high I know something's coming.
  • qwikstreet
    Options
    The Garmin vivoactive is also high on my list but the style is not office professional. However, I know it will more than cover any fitness item I throw at it. I'm not sure if I need that level of overkill.

I do like the Pebble and its ability to swap the bands with typical watch bands.

I'm 100% on the heart rate monitor but a stand alone GPS I am still on the fence.

Does anyone know how well Pebble syncs with MapMyFitness?
  • yirara
    Options
    I have no idea to be honest. There will most likely be an app for ismoothrun, which is my dedicated running app. I do hope I can leave my phone at home one day.
  • qwikstreet
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I have no idea to be honest. There will most likely be an app for ismoothrun, which is my dedicated running app. I do hope I can leave my phone at home one day.

I would like to leave my phone behind once in awhile which is why I still lean towards GPS. However, I would probably leave my phone home only 5% of the time. I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 which I can hold onto for those rare moments.
  • yirara
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I would like to leave my phone behind once in awhile which is why I still lean towards GPS. However, I would probably leave my phone home only 5% of the time. I have a Garmin Forerunner 10 which I can hold onto for those rare moments.

I guess the main reason I bought the pebble is that I simple wanted to have a new electronic toy that I don't really need ;)
  • qwikstreet
    Options
    Isn't that the main reason we buy so many do-dads.
  • yirara
    Options
    Isn't that the main reason we buy so many do-dads.

Ha, probably :blush: Not that I usually do. My laptop is getting hardware problems now after more than 4 years of daily use and many airmiles, and I just upgraded my 3 year old iPhone 5s to an equally unlocked 6SE. I hope I'll be fine for the coming years.