Losing Motivation

Options
I suppose I'm not losing motivation...because I still want to continue this new journey. But man I'm tired. I'm tired of getting up everyday and working out. I'm tired of weighing everything I put in my mouth. I'm tired of counting the calories. I'm tired of being consumed with weight loss. I don't want to binge. I don't want to over eat. I don't even want to quit exercising. I want to continue being healthy and making healthy choices and living a healthy life...I'm just tired of actively trying to work my butt off....literally. I know most of you are much further along than I am. I'm on day 191. I've had a few breaks here and there. Take a day off when I need it...even went on a week vacation recently where I was careful but not consumed. But I'm just so tired. My body is even weak the last few days. I'm achy and my mind is just not on track. I feel like I'm slipping and I need some motivation! Am I the only one? Is this a normal blip in the road? Does it pass? What has helped you get through these times? Help me out!

SW: 233
CW: 174
GW: 133
Ht: 5'4

Replies

• Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    mmjclark04 wrote: »
    I'm tired of getting up everyday and working out.

I would be too. Running is my workout and I only run 3 or 4 days per week.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great!! the weight you've lost so far is phenomenal!! Most people would have quit well before now.
    Secondly, you can do this. yes, being worn out and tired of all the constant counting happens to everyone. Just remember that taking some rest days and indulging every once in a while is part of getting yourself back. Healthy lifestyle is not easy to stick to, b/c there is so much unhealthy (fun, yummy) stuff out there to temp you.
    Just know that you can do this and with some rest and maybe a good couple days of relaxing you can get back to your bad a** work out self.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important. Make sure to take 1 to 2 days off of strenuous exercise a week. You can still go for a walk or something if you want but it sounds like you need a couple days of nothing but actual rest including good sleep. Maybe even have some naps this weekend. Remember we lose weight & build muscle in our sleep not in the gym :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Also what kinds of exercise are you doing and how many grams of protein do you get a day?
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    You can definitely take a break from workouts. I was running myself into the ground, literally--I got an overuse injury in my foot. I've had to back way off from my workouts, but I brought down my daily calorie goal to make up for it, and I'm still using weight, plus I lost some retained water weight as well. Maybe you could try backing off your workouts some?

I can't give you advice on the calorie counting--I think I'm in it for life!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important and should be incorporated into your training protocol...You don't need to, nor should you really train daily...that would be exhausting for anyone...I generally take 2 rest days per week...and keep in mind "rest" doesn't mean you just sit around...I use my rest days to enjoy some restorative yoga or take the kids out on a recreational hike, etc...it's just rest from my usual training and higher intensity activity.

Also, you might want to mix your training up a bit...it gets old doing the same thing day in and day out. I primarily cycle as my primary cardiovascular exercise...but I mix my cycling up...I have days where I do short, higher intensity rides...days when I do hills and/or hill repeats...days when I just go cruise for an hour or so...days when I go out on a long ride...I do intervals and threshold training, etc. I'd be tired and bored out of my gored if every ride was a 60 minute cruise or something...or if all I did was intervals, etc. Mix it up.

As counting calories goes, I can't help much with that...I never really liked it and stopped doing it as soon as I felt comfortable that I had a grasp on my nutrition and what I needed to be eating from an energy standpoint...haven't counted a calorie in over 3.5 years. While I was counting calories, it was just something I had to suck up and do...kind of like cleaning the bathroom or something...an unpleasant necessity.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    So, what I did may or may not help you but I'll offer it up.

I lost 30 pounds over 3-4 months this summer, and by then I was exactly like you. Freaking.sick.And.tired. of the process. I took a beach vacation for 2 weeks and then decided that I didn't give a flying rat's @$$ how long the next 25 took.

I set my calorie goal to 1 pound per week so that when I feel good and up to it, I have a decent goal to push for but here's the good part, if I go over I don't care! So long as I'm under maintenance, it's all good!

Last month I lost one pound and I couldn't be happier, I'm living like a normal person, practicing maintenance and if I keep it up I'll be a whole size smaller by the time I get to the beach again next August without suffering...awesome!

Good luck with whatever you do :)
  • mmjclark04
    mmjclark04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also what kinds of exercise are you doing and how many grams of protein do you get a day?

At this point I am doing a mix of running and 30 Day Shred. I've gone through a time where ALL I did was 30 Day Shred every day and then a point where all I did was running 3 to 4 days a week. Right now I'm doing a mix of the 2 and taking 1 rest day a week. Even with a rest day....I'm just feeling so burned out.

Thank you to everyone. I'm not sure why I feel so down right now. I have enjoyed this SO much the last 6 months and I KNOW I'm not finished but the thoughts of just not wanting to keep up all the hard work are getting harder to push away. I just need to keep on keeping on...and I know it. I just don't like this feeling and want my fire back!
  • mmjclark04
    mmjclark04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are doing great!! the weight you've lost so far is phenomenal!! Most people would have quit well before now.
    Secondly, you can do this. yes, being worn out and tired of all the constant counting happens to everyone. Just remember that taking some rest days and indulging every once in a while is part of getting yourself back. Healthy lifestyle is not easy to stick to, b/c there is so much unhealthy (fun, yummy) stuff out there to temp you.
    Just know that you can do this and with some rest and maybe a good couple days of relaxing you can get back to your bad a** work out self.

This made me tear up...literally lol. I'm a mess right now!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The 1 most important thing about taking a break from your weight loss plan is to retain a sense of control over the process. If you deliberately step off the wagon for a time, you can comfortably step back on. Maybe that is what you need. Perhaps give yourself a 'maintenance' vacation.