Early Holiday Prep

Options
thisonetimeatthegym
thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
Anybody into preparing for the holidays early?

If so, what do you do and when?

How do you plan to work your calories when the season gets busy and the treats show up everywhere?

Replies

• thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Seriously? No one here prepares for the holidays early, or wonders how their diets will be affected?
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I do is I stop packing work snacks. Lately the office is almost always guaranteed to have some sort of donut or cookie concoction running around for Halloween so theres no need to pack the freezer meal I usually throw in the lunchbox.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    From past threads on these forums, yes, a lot of people worry about the constant availability of food and how they'll handle it during the holidays. I think first most people are planning on getting through Halloween before tackling the official holiday season so maybe your thread is just a bit early. Always good to plan ahead, though!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    From past threads on these forums, yes, a lot of people worry about the constant availability of food and how they'll handle it during the holidays. I think first most people are planning on getting through Halloween before tackling the official holiday season so maybe your thread is just a bit early. Always good to plan ahead, though!

I like to do it early so I enjoy a slower pace than the frenzy that I've had in the past. Plus, you have time to enjoy your efforts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by preparing for the holidays. I get my Turkey and whatnot the weekend before Thanksgiving...I get my Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving...then I'm pretty much done.
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    I take a looooong dump when they do desserts on thanksgiving and christmas.

Last year it was cookie jam. This year it's going to be subway surfers.

I'll bet they really enjoy you.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    thanksgiving weekend just passed & i ate everything in sight

for halloween it will probably be just watching halloweenie movies and eating snacks & candy

as far as Christmas goes i stay on track until Christmas Eve then i do not log again until the new year ...

its what i do every year
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    So I have an eating plan and a strategy around the sweets.

Since I tend to do a lot of baking and chocolatiering this time of year, it actually helps with not being tempted. I have to taste stuff, but I don't crave it because I'm around it.

A few tablespoons of semi-sweet chocolate is enough for a chocolate craving, or a very thin slice of cake. I find deserts taste best when you first bite into them, so I keep the desert portions very small. This helps when you have many deserts to choose from. A small square of brownie or cheesecake can be cut into four smaller squares, and you take one of the squares. So you could try four desserts for the caloric equivalent of one.

To make up for the feasts that show up this time of year, I hope to incorporate lots of salads, soups and chili, to have some low cal days add up so I can have extra for the deliciousness of Thanksgiving and Christmas season. I hope to have meals prepped and ready to go to help avoid the temptation to eat lots of fast food as I tend to do this time of year because things get so busy.

And I also want to calm down the busy by doing a lot of the work way ahead of time so I can focus on the reason for the season: the birth of Jesus Christ. I want to truly enjoy my family activities. I also want to be rested enough to enjoy the sights and sounds, the comfy thick socks and cups of hot cocoa.

Hoping for a peaceful and happy Christmas!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    Enjoying my Christmas prep:

Bought ribbon, tied a bow:

7er612pfuhpc.jpg

Got lights, put them up:

aiu8smjz3w8s.jpg

Got printer paper and packing tape, made snowflakes:

7d8ykbpict7p.jpg

Got stuff, wrapped them:

ufuzs2rmbw7e.jpg

I have a lot more snowflakes to tape "laminate," and I'll be baking and freezing some mini cakes today, God willing. Also decluttering clothes closets.

A little bit at a time!
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    Options
    How are your Christmas preparations coming along?

• Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Other than shopping and minimal decorations, we really don't have much preparation to do.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'll probably bake something for Christmas and at least set it up the day before.