airbnb

Options
Cameron_1969
Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
Anyone ever used it? I'm looking at some rentals and they seem ridiculously cheap.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My family uses airbnb or VRBO/Homeaway regularly...the only issue we ever had was one of the rentals we ended up with was not a full time vacation rental...it was someone's live in home that they vacated when we were there...so it basically felt like we were living in some weirdos house...and it was weird and not particularly clean.

We use Homeaway more often and other than the above, we've always stayed in dedicated vacation rentals. We like it because we have kids and it's a lot more comfortable to get into a condo with a couple of bedrooms than getting a hotel room...price is usually about on par. Of course, you don't get the amenities you usually would in a hotel...pool, hot tub, cleaning and new sheets everyday, etc...but it's more important for us to have a little space as a family when we're traveling...I'd kill my kids I think if we spent a week in a hotel room.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Okay. that's interesting. I've never heard of "homeaway". I'll check it out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Okay. that's interesting. I've never heard of "homeaway". I'll check it out.

If you get a dedicated vacation rental it's pretty much a no brainer over a hotel IMO...the one negative experience we had, we didn't realize that it was a primary residence, though we suspected it might be and there are more than a few out there like that so just something to be wary of.

I would opt for either a full time vacation rental or otherwise I've seen people renting out in-law quarters/casitas, etc that are on their live in property, but you'll have your own place...but really, a full time vacation rental is the way to go IMO.

We just got back from staying at a kick *kitten* condo on Mission Beach San Diego (right on the beach) and it was awesome...
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've stayed at some great places through AirBnB. Even saw it mentioned on a recent episode of RHW of OC. lol
  • joelo_1119
    joelo_1119 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Use common sense, contact the host with specific questions and read user reviews. If it seems too good to be true, probably is. I stayed in Nevis, St Kitts, AND San Diego in some really nice places for cheap with no issues.