Need to lose 88 pounds

How long will it approximately take to lose 88 pounds if I'm walking an hour a day and eating 1200 calories a day? Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    It depends on your stats, activity level outside of exercise, and how accurate you are in your logging. But you likely don't need to eat that little. I lost 60+ pounds never eating less than 1500.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Depends on lots of things. How overweight you are, your gender, your height... if you're very over weight you could lose 2lbs a week for a while, then change to 1lb a week. But for 88lbs I'd say 8-12 months.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    I'd advise not to eat only 1200 calories a day. You might burn out and quit partway through because of the large deficit.

Instead, eat the calories MyFitnessPal recommends, including eating back part of the calories you earn for the walking. You'll be more likely to stick with it if you're well-fed.
  • benjistar
    benjistar Posts: 7 Member
    Give yourself a year.
  • Jeffagner2
    Jeffagner2 Posts: 23 Member
    I'm with daniip_la, going too low on calories can work against you and your goals. Also, racing toward a number can be counterproductive to making a long term change. Rather than race toward a goal, consider working at developing a way of living that you can be comfortable with for the rest of your life. Avoid short term sacrifices that will only provide short term rewards. If you focus on living in a healthy way, your appearance (and your body weight) will reflect the way you live.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I'd start at 2 pounds a week so you can see results and get excited about it but very quickly that will become too large of a deficit for you...you'll start burning more muscle the smaller you get. And the more muscle you lose, the lower your calorie needs will stay and nobody wants that. Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2016
    I would estimate 18 months to 2 years to reach your goal. Then continued work after that to improve body composition.