I threw my scale away today

Options
I threw away my scale today.

I had an epiphany today and I just want to “say it out loud.” This is nothing earth shattering and nothing that y’all don’t already know. But I want to put it into words for my benefit much more than yours. So just indulge (can we use that term on this site?:wink: ) me . Or use the “back” button.

I joined this site a week ago. I have enjoyed the postings that I have been able to read. As I have lurked about, I have admired and appreciated the comradery, support, insights, and information available here. My story is like everyone else’s so I have nothing to add. I decided to employ the tools available here to keep track of my eating habits in an effort to improve myself.

Since I joined a week ago, I have done a really good job of eating all of my calories including the exercising calories. I have done a fairly good job staying on in the carbs, a little over in the protein and good with fats. I have been strictly off of butter and mayo (I didn’t think I could gag down a sandwich without mayo, but I have survived!:happy: ), and the fats have been good ones from olive oil and fish. I have exercised regularly, though nothing very rigorous yet, but I have been much better and consistent.

I have weighed myself every day...several times a day...in fact every time I go to the bathroom which, given the amount of water I am drinking, is a lot of times a day. Like every one else, the scale doesn’t move much...at all...except for up and down a pound or two during the day which tells me nothing. I think the same things I have read from many of you: “Stay away from the scale.” “But I need to know where I am so I can know if I am on track.” “I’m building muscle which weighs more than fat.” “Yadda, yadda, yadda...”

Then this morning, one week later, I stepped on the scale, and sure enough I had lost my pound! Just like the program said I would. :flowerforyou: What struck me, though, was my thought, “Big deal! It is a spit in the ocean.” It wasn’t enough. The delight wasn’t nearly as big as the “sacrifice” and effort I thought I was making.

And then it hit me. I thought about my reasons and motivation for losing weight. My list didn’t say “to weigh 135lbs”. It says to feel better about myself, to develop self discipline, to be healthy, to be more active, to demonstrate self control and self mastery. And I realized that for six days in a row, in this particular area of my life, I did what has been a struggle for me for fifty years. I ate well, I ate healthy, I lived healthy! I was faithful to my goals and expectations for me. Forget the scale! I was faithful!!!!:happy:

I was thinking that alcoholics measure their success by keeping track of how many days they go without a drink. (They don’t have to deal with inconsistencies in scales and obtuse body mass figures) One day at a time. That is where I am. So I am counting days that I have been faithful to this program on this site. I’m going to eat my calories by eating the healthy foods. My goal is to be faithful 356 days. I don’t need a scale to tell me that.

As I feel better, as my clothing fits better, as I am able to get into bed without a sigh and a groan (I know you know what I am talking about), I’ll borrow a scale to weigh so the program can make the adjustments on my calorie allotment. But I am going to keep track of days. If I mess up, I’ll have to start the count over. But hopefully each time, the number will be higher and higher until I have a score of “faithful 365 days!”

FAITHFUL 6 DAYS!!!

Replies

• Mooryado
    Mooryado Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I threw away my scale today.

I had an epiphany today and I just want to “say it out loud.” This is nothing earth shattering and nothing that y’all don’t already know. But I want to put it into words for my benefit much more than yours. So just indulge (can we use that term on this site?:wink: ) me . Or use the “back” button.

I joined this site a week ago. I have enjoyed the postings that I have been able to read. As I have lurked about, I have admired and appreciated the comradery, support, insights, and information available here. My story is like everyone else’s so I have nothing to add. I decided to employ the tools available here to keep track of my eating habits in an effort to improve myself.

Since I joined a week ago, I have done a really good job of eating all of my calories including the exercising calories. I have done a fairly good job staying on in the carbs, a little over in the protein and good with fats. I have been strictly off of butter and mayo (I didn’t think I could gag down a sandwich without mayo, but I have survived!:happy: ), and the fats have been good ones from olive oil and fish. I have exercised regularly, though nothing very rigorous yet, but I have been much better and consistent.

I have weighed myself every day...several times a day...in fact every time I go to the bathroom which, given the amount of water I am drinking, is a lot of times a day. Like every one else, the scale doesn’t move much...at all...except for up and down a pound or two during the day which tells me nothing. I think the same things I have read from many of you: “Stay away from the scale.” “But I need to know where I am so I can know if I am on track.” “I’m building muscle which weighs more than fat.” “Yadda, yadda, yadda...”

Then this morning, one week later, I stepped on the scale, and sure enough I had lost my pound! Just like the program said I would. :flowerforyou: What struck me, though, was my thought, “Big deal! It is a spit in the ocean.” It wasn’t enough. The delight wasn’t nearly as big as the “sacrifice” and effort I thought I was making.

And then it hit me. I thought about my reasons and motivation for losing weight. My list didn’t say “to weigh 135lbs”. It says to feel better about myself, to develop self discipline, to be healthy, to be more active, to demonstrate self control and self mastery. And I realized that for six days in a row, in this particular area of my life, I did what has been a struggle for me for fifty years. I ate well, I ate healthy, I lived healthy! I was faithful to my goals and expectations for me. Forget the scale! I was faithful!!!!:happy:

I was thinking that alcoholics measure their success by keeping track of how many days they go without a drink. (They don’t have to deal with inconsistencies in scales and obtuse body mass figures) One day at a time. That is where I am. So I am counting days that I have been faithful to this program on this site. I’m going to eat my calories by eating the healthy foods. My goal is to be faithful 356 days. I don’t need a scale to tell me that.

As I feel better, as my clothing fits better, as I am able to get into bed without a sigh and a groan (I know you know what I am talking about), I’ll borrow a scale to weigh so the program can make the adjustments on my calorie allotment. But I am going to keep track of days. If I mess up, I’ll have to start the count over. But hopefully each time, the number will be higher and higher until I have a score of “faithful 365 days!”

FAITHFUL 6 DAYS!!!
  • ToeTapN
    ToeTapN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love what you shared. Thanks!
  • myhoney
    myhoney Posts: 41
    Options
    keep up the good work!
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I truly love your story I too have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I have sacrificed and starved myself to be skinny only to still be unhappy with myself because the "scale" isn't the number I had hoped. I too am throwing my scale away. Goodluck on your journey.
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!! That is truly what it is all about.... to be healthy!!!
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful post. Congratulations on taking your steps to make this journey a reality and a healthy new way of life! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    that is such a great post. keep up the most excellent work.
  • Aliciathecatmom
    Aliciathecatmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love that! For my 40+ years the scale has been a depressing thing. Thanks!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    That is so great. I always akin our obsession with weight to asking yourself "how many times has someone said, WOW she is hot, I wonder how much she weighs?":laugh:
  • Felixanvk
    Options
    Good job, keep the good walk!
    Felixa:flowerforyou:

111908.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • dsthil08
    Options
    Amazing post! I think you are very inspirational. Keep up that attitude friend!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Eloquently put!

"I am eating healthy and exercising, if I lose some weight while doing so, then wonderful!"

:flowerforyou: Me
  • Mooryado
    Mooryado Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your kind support!

FAITHFUL 7 DAYS!!!!
  • rosered51
    rosered51 Posts: 189
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

What you said is so true, you not only made a change for you, but you have changed the way several members view the scale. While I am not prepared to throw mine away, I can relate to you. I used to weigh myself all the time. I now only weigh myself 1x a week so I can put my adjustment in the program. This web site is a great tool that I am so excited about using. I know with the forum here and the tools made available for FREE (my best friend!) that I will be able to make this journey. It is a long road, but I know I can do it with the support offered here. You are truly inspiring to the others out here thank you! Keep up the great work!