Need to lose 200 lbs/Severely Obese

Options
I have Cushing's Syndrome, and have been on Chronic Steroids 4 over 10 years! I've gained so much weight. i hope i can meet new friends.

Replies

• LoveMaineCoons
    LoveMaineCoons Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new to myfitnesspal so I'm trying to figure things out. I saw your post and wanted to say hello. I am not obese but have obesity on both sides of my family. I was a skinny girl but when I hit puberty, I started gaining weight quickly. Because I didn't want to be obese, I started aggressively working out in my 20s. I was in the gym 2 hours a day 6 days a week, which kept me very fit. Fast forward to today, I have chronic back pain, had several surgeries, was a pain management patient which resulted in becoming dependent on my prescribed meds causing me to go to drug rehab ... 20 years later, I am now off of narcotics (which were intensifying my pain). I still deal with back as well as various other pain related to overdoing it in the gym (imagine that!), but I manage them without the aid of prescription meds. When I went to rehab, I was down to 115lbs (I was 5'8, they say I'm 5'6 now after all of my back surgeries and procedures). After rehab because my body was in starvation mode, I was given protein drinks/bars and a high protein diet which caused me to gain 35lbs in a month (add about 16 more pounds ... ). I'm not obese but heavier than I should be and am working on taking this weight off which is difficult since I can no longer work out at the gym or do almost everything I knew how to do before chronic pain.

I now walk as much as I can ... though I developed intense nerve pain in my leg so it's difficult. I also have costochondritis (torn cartilage in my chest) so I can't work my upper body or even lift my left arm. I work out with Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. They may help you get started. It's a lot of marching in place ... at home in front of your TV. I actually march when I normally would stand, anything to get moving and burn calories. I rarely sit and even stand at the kitchen table when I eat. I'm standing/marching now as I type this. Baby steps will allow you to take larger steps. Even these small things help. Try to move more than you have been. Park a little bit farther away from the store. If you can, take a flight of steps instead of the elevator (I have a fear of elevators, LOL).

I don't eat a lot but my eating habits aren't as healthy as they should be. That paired with obesity on both sides of my family and being unable to work out like I did in the past is catching up with me. I am hoping this site will help push me closer to my goal of health again.

I know our circumstances aren't the same, but I know what it's like to endure lengthy medical issues, traumas as well as the effects of chronic medical issues/medications on my body. I lost more than a decade going through the progression of healing, revelation and where I am today. For me, healing is still a process (physically as well as mentally).

Be encouraged. Do what you can today and you will be able to do even more tomorrow.
  • dimples2581
    dimples2581 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too need to loose a substantial amount of weight, my journey has begun I'm taking things slow, don't focus on the amount you have to loose, just relic in the small pounds you loose weekly, feel free to add me as a friend if I can offer any words of wisdom and support i will :)