Feeling a little Blue - Motivation help please

Options
Good morning!

Up until the last few weeks, I've had a very successful health journey.
I have PCOS and in March I was finally put on the right medication to help me with my hormonal imbalance. I started a very healthy eating program and regular exercise and have been able to lose 60 lbs!

While very excited and happy about this, I've fallen apart a little in the last few weeks and need some tips to get back on track. I know WHAT I'm supposed to do, just having a hard time getting myself to want to.

I came down with a pretty bad cold and lacked any kind of energy. I used this as an excuse to do nothing and drop the 10,000 daily steps I was doing.

I used this as an excuse to eat what I wanted (Thanksgiving didn't help) and have been giving in to my craving such as pizza. This is a weird craving for me since I never used to even LIKE pizza before. I was tracking all my food religiously every day before and now I just don't feel like it.

I'm still feeling a little run down and just am not sure how to motivate myself to get back on track. I've gained back 2 lbs, which I'm sure is mostly water weight from the crummy sodium filled foods I've had. My body feels "blah". I feel "blah". I"m feeling a little blue and I"m not sure what I need.

Has anyone else ever felt this way? What did you do to get yourself back on track?

I appreciate any advice and tips you might have for me.

Replies

• BarbaraJatmfp
    BarbaraJatmfp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been feeling this way for months . . . and 20pounds ago. You have to get back on track or it will all come back. I'm still fighting it and am back on the way down, but don't give in.

!0,000 steps is excellent. Have you thought about joining a challenge? MFP has a "Challenges" message board and they have several waking challenges. You would check in each day with your progress.

I have started weighing every day and graphing my progress. It is easier for me to correct a .2-pound gain (2/10) than it is to reverse a 2-pound gain. And weighing every day makes me conscious of what I'm eating NOW. I am not going to eat multiple pieces of pizza if I have to weigh in tomorrow. I find I am also avoiding candy, pumpkin pie, etc.

After losing 60 pounds, you know you can enjoy pizza, pumpkin pie, candy, etc., but not all you want, not all in one day, and maybe not even all in one week. You can enjoy three bites: one for an explosion of taste, one for enjoyment, and one to say goodbye until the next time you really want that flavor.

It is interesting that you lost motivation when you lost 60 pounds. I lost motivation at -61. If we get to -65, will we be good to go to -100? lol

Keep fighting. We have come too far to give in and gain it all back.
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Think most of us go through spells like this. Bit on the down side myself at the moment. I just do something, go for a walk, anything that gets you moving, a half hour of exercise because as much as you do not feel like it, you always feel better after it. Don't know if this is helpful but it's what I do.
  • Acrosno
    Acrosno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel this feel. But you gotta get back in the saddle! This is a lifetime. Not a year. Not two years. The rest of your healthy, fit, wonderful life!

We all struggle. Daily. I myself just got back on my journey after gaining 50 Pounds back! (Omgwtfhowdidiletthishappen!) Just last night I was staring down a huge pan of gooey delicious looking mac & cheese. I had a spoon in my hand "just a bite" I told myself. "Just a bite won't hurt". And then it was like the movies. I flashed back to this morning when I stood on the scale and saw I'd lost 15 pounds. My hand started shaking, breath quickened, stomach grumbled, moth was watering ... and I put the spoon down and walked out of the kitchen.

No one applauded me. No one knows what a victory that was. But I know. And that feeling of knowing that I'm doing something SO DANG GOOD for myself ... way better than that mac & cheese could ever be!

I try to look at it as a series of small victories that lead to my dream of being fit and healthy. It's a war of days, minutes, weeks, holidays, office parties... we won't win every battle. But we will win the war!

So sorry for the long post, but that's my motivation! :)

Cheers!
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you are on any high BP meds, e.g. beta-blockers or calcium-channel blockers, it could be a side effect. If you are feeling depressed or down for a while, may be you should consult your doc. It is very hard to exercise when your mind is elsewhere