I RODE A BIKE!!!

Options
I just have to express my excitement for a minute! Now...this might not seem like a big deal to some people but I haven't gotten on a bike in easily over 15 years...also the last time this butt saw a bike seat it was probably 100+lbs smaller...I live in FL and always see people out enjoying the warm days riding carelessly on their bikes and always wished I could be one of them but have felt way too nervous to even try...

I have been considering buying a bike as a means of exercise for over a year but was nervous to spend a lot of money in the event I just wasn't able to do it...I would check yard sale groups and Craigslist but never really found anything I liked that was affordable..plus I was just having anxiety all around at the thought of riding again...

A few weeks ago I finally broke down and made the decision to purchase a bike...its a cheap little cruiser I got from Walmart...it came in the mail on Thursday and my amazing fiance put it together for me...I went outside to try it out and FAIL we had to do some adjusting of the seat and handlebars to get them straight...it was dark out so I figured I would put it up for the night and try it again the next day...

The next day my fiance adjusted the handlebars and the seat to get it up to the correct height (I'm tall...5'10")...then I sat on it and we noticed the tires were completely flat...oh well tomorrow I'll get a bike pump...pump these babies up and be ready to roll....

In the morning we went to the store and purchased a bike pump came home and pumped up the tires and was then finally time for the moment of reckoning..could I actually do this? I wearily made my way down the driveway to the street, put my foot on the pedal and pushed off and with a wobbly start I was OFF!!!

Yaayyyy! I yelled like a kid as I rode down the street, wind in my face...I was DOING IT!!! I could not believe it...I rode to the end of my street and had to stop and turn around because I'm still getting used to the feel of the handlebars and such and then rode back down to my house...I then rode again down to the other end of the street and back this time going a bit further...so excited to be doing something I wanted to do for so long!

My only complaint is that, being the bike is so cheap, it makes this clanking sound when I ride...it's not horrible but it kind of annoying and at first I was like great, this just screams "HEY GUYS BIG GIRL ON A BIKE HERE!!!", but after going online and reading that several other people have had the same issues I realize I'm getting what I paid for BUT it will serve it's purpose for the time being until I can afford something better...either way I'm not disappointed!

Again this may not seem like a big deal to some people but I am 31 years old, 350lbs and haven't touched a bike in over a decade and I just got on and RODE! So for those of you considering trying something new or might be having fears or anxiety about being too big to do something I just want to say TRY IT...if it turns out you're just not ready then take baby steps and work your way up to it!

As always if this motivates you or you need a friend feel free to add me :) I love meeting new people to share this journey with!

okhwvwsi9c8a.jpg
asbveonbwamp.jpg

Replies

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    What a great feeling! I'm glad you shared.
  • aliyou1
    aliyou1 Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That is great!!!! Keep up the good work. I am sure the kiddos loves having mommy out with them
  • anezinis
    anezinis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cool girl!keep going!
    best wishes
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! When you get more confident, you might want to invest in a better bike. :)

And... Thus the saying: It's like riding a bike. You never forget how. ;)
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Super cute Cruiser!! I'll bet any bike shop could tighten that up for you so it won't make noise. Have fun!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wtg,I hadnt rode a bike in over 15 years either and just got a new bike in august(anniversary present from hubby-I was always talking about getting a new one) and ride when I can due to weather issues here. but I love it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Brilliant story - well done you!

(You might enjoy the app Strava, very motivational tracking your progress and seeing the improvements each time you ride.)
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and ride for transportation regularly. (I live in Portland, so its pretty easy to do that.) I was obese when I started riding again in my mid-20s, and I will never forget the way it felt to be back on a bike, like flying even with my unwieldy bulky body. I still feel that way sometimes when I swoop down the driveway on my mundane trip to the grocery store. I'm so glad you were able to have that feeling, and you remind me of how great it is to try things I want but am afraid of! Keep an eye out for used bikes; you should be able to find something decent (and with enough gears to tackle hills). I have a heavy old bike that runs great and is indestructible that I bought used for $100 off craigslist. My husband found a decent bike at a yard sale for $10.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I just started rising my bike too! I am only able to go about 2 blocks, but hey! I went 2 blocks! It is an amazing feeling, so congratulations!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yay for you! You are motivating me to get back on a bike, it's been 25 years and for the last 5 I've been saying "soon". "Soon" could be much closer now.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and have been using my bicycle very sporadically for a few years. I have used it a bit more since I started this weight loss journey. The weather was so nice that I just didn't want to sit around or exercise indoors today so away I went 2.3 miles out and back, for a good little workout on my trusty 35-year old 18-speed mountain bike. I had it refurbished at a local bike shop a few years ago and the mechanical performance is great.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You never know where this will take you ... keep it up!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    And so it begins...next we will be seeing pictures of you doing races...this is how addiction starts.

Good on you, I love the gear!!