whats happening here at mfp?

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
back in november or last year i came to this site to track my calories, and i soon discovered that this was a placeof great encouragement and support, and also a fun place to be. Soon i started getting a lot of friends here and maxing out my limit. I felt bonded to the majority of them and always enjoyed seeing there status updates, their flirtations, progress reports, advice, support etc. Well fast forward a few months and things are changing i've had new friends drop me in less than a week, no big deal just odd, but what bothers me is people are deactivating left and right most without giving any notice too. Its very sad when you loo, forward to reading someone's post and they disappear without a trace, sure some come back but others dont. Maybe there is something going on that i'm not aware of but i've lost too many mfp's to deactivation in the past month so if anybody has a clue please tell me

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have been a part of this site since 2008 and honestly although there are some great people.. it really isn't the same :(
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a simple numbers game? I'm sure there is some average percentage of members that deactivate every month. So more friends = more deactivations? ie - 2% of 200 friends < 2% of 300 friends?
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    Fill me in too! I get so connected! Its like a break up everytime!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    so true mrmarius........ I can't help you out as to "why" but I can tell you that they'll be missed :(
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the natural ebb and flow of life. People will come and go but it just leaves room for new friends and new experiences.
  • 1Prettypain
    1Prettypain Posts: 122
    Options
    Mr Awesome has a great heart too....hmmm jk sweetie. you know i adore you! And i whole heartedly agree with you!! ik i deleated a few for being too over the top for me but im missing several in the last week to deactivation also, seeings we share several friends i know some of whio your talking about. and i miss them too!!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    maybe they lose steam and quit cause it's always easier to quit?
    maybe they got too caught up in the flirting and not enough of the fitness and had to change direction?
    maybe their significant other didnt like how they were flirting and had to give up their account?
    maybe they got stuck in a rut and changed their account names trying to make a "fresh" start?

idk. im just throwing these out there. for me, personally, i dont want to deactivate because ive been working my balls off and dont want to "start over" at all. i have, however, had to cut some people out because of nonsense. flirty fun is fun but when it's taking over the fitness part of my MFP status feeds it becomes too much. im no prude and im all for fun but when i get stuck in a rut i need to re-evaluate and see where i'm slacking and where my attention is being focused on instead of where it should be.

does that make sense? idk your circumstances cause im not your friend marius. im just speaking for myself is all. ive had a few friends deactivate as of recently too and im trying to just think that they need a re-evaluation and theyll come back hopefully cause some of those friends were really kicking *kitten*. but then i try to remember if someone deactivated and they really felt "connected" to me they would have PMed me and asked for my email address or something. if they dont, then i guess that i cared more about them than they did me and i can't change that and i try not to take it personally cause this journey is for each person individually and they need to do what's best for them.

sorry for the babble.
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    You know it's hitting me...........it's strange to feel sad over something like this.....but it's been a rough week for deactivated accounts....when a person is active here you definately notice their absence :(
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You already know I love mfp since I stay on here lol!! But I think a lot of people don't want to commit to counting calories. Or they get discouraged by not losing weight. Or their support system isn't the right mix of people. I don't think it's one specific thing.

Regardless the adage is true, those who want to will, those that don't....won't.
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    Well...in one of discussions I had to face "regional" and "racial" comments from fellow members. I don't want to generalize that but for sure it has prevented me from reaching to people on 1:1 basis anymore.

So, for now, I just use this website to do my own thing, learn from reading the experiences from others MFPians and keep to myself, unless someone initiates a discussion with me.

I guess with time, MFP will just be the reflection of overall world habitat.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. 3 friends on my list have deactivated their accounts in the last month.

Even though I have never met any of them, I feel a better connection with my MFP friends than some of my "off-line" friends.
  • _CLEAN_
    _CLEAN_ Posts: 6
    Options
    I think for some it's all the drama. I have left and came back a couple times and I think it's to try and recapture the positive feeling I had when I first started here. I love my friends here and feel bad when I have left. I got most back and won't take it for granted this time.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a small microcosm of the ebb and flow of real life. People come and go in life.

Turn off your computer and go connect with the real people in your life. Neighbors. Workmates. Family.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options

Turn off your computer and go connect with the real people in your life. Neighbors. Workmates. Family.

But but i dont wanna!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a small microcosm of the ebb and flow of real life. People come and go in life.

Dude, don't use my lines haha.
  • tab143
    tab143 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Girl, you always know the right thing to say. You are so awesome!
    Theresa
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

True...but I only have a very small support network for my fitness goals in my "real life." ...on MFP I find the continued support that helps me keep working toward reaching those goals. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to connect with a world out there that I don't currently have the money to visit :)
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with @crazymama2two....there could be alot of reasons, but i'm on here for fitness/nutrition tracking, accountability and support. and just like in offline life, different friends serve different unique functions and provide different support and things, i see MFP the same way. I have a small, strong core of a few close friends on here and others that check in occassionally.....i think when the friend net is cast very wide, people are overall less invested.... if any of my constant support (the people that make an effort to keep up with me everyday, check in on me when i'm having a hard time or stop commenting for a few days) disappeared without a word or trace I would be really sad, but I think I'd realize that something heavy must be going in their life that was on that made them go suddenly....and wish them well for whatever was going on that i didn't know about. In any case, i'm sure it wasn't personal if they de-activated their accounts....
  • christina3323
    Options
    Mfp has turned mire into a huge virtual orgy with "mean girls" and drama....when your spending 5,6,7 hours a day on here cyber ****ing_ everyone you tend to lose the purpose