Time to get serious...so discouraged

So, I'm an almost 35 year old mom of 3 who has always prided herself in my ability to be "thin" and healthy and fit, or lose weight quickly when the scale says I weigh 5 more pounds than I should.

Well, within the past 10 months or so I've been through several things in my life that have caused me to overeat, stop working out, just stop caring in general. I'm 5'5" weighing 153.2lbs when my "normal" weight is about 135. So almost 20lbs over, and extremely unfit.
r9y1xde0wh85.jpg

The picture I inserted, to the left, is me 3 years ago when I was working out consistently and eating healthy. The picture to the left is me last night. I haven't had any children or surgery or bad health problems in 3 years to cause this. Most of he weight gain is less than a year old.

Anyway I was going to join WW because of the accountability of the meetings but I read that the community aspect of MFP is really good. I've used MFP before successfully but never participated in the community.

Sorry for rambling. I guess I'm just looking for (free) support through my journey, a couple of people who can help me kick my *kitten* back into shape. I'm sad and I went from a size 4 to a size 10, and I'm just devastated about that. My husband is no help, he says I'm fine the way I am and hands me the doughnuts.

Cookies if you read all this

Replies

• janjan1981
    janjan1981 Posts: 14 Member
    Ummmm.... I said "butt" , I don't know why they changed that to kitten!
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    lol...i thought people actually typed *kitten* themselves. I like MFP way better than weight watchers. As long as you stay at your calorie goal, the weight will come off. You sound really disciplined....you can do this!
  • janjan1981
    Thank you ellekay! Yeah that kitten thing was weird, I just don't want people thinking I typed pus... LOL

Anyway that's what I'm lacking right now...discipline. Let's hope I can get back in track and stop feeling sorry for myself
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    You can do it! Luckily you have muscle memory on your side and are getting started quickly after the gain which seems to help too.
  • laura9400
    laura9400 Posts: 418 Member
    I think husbands can be the best weight loss partner or the biggest hindrance. My husband is underweight and his idea of a great dinner is pizza. Like yours I'm told I'm beautiful which is good, but on the other hand it's not always helpful either.
  • RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    You're in great company here. I've lost over 75 pounds on MFP, 96 or so to go. There's really no need to pay for WW. Glad to see you're addressing this with just a few pounds to lose, hun...go for it! Friend me if you like, my dairy is open if you want to peek.
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! I also have 3 children and a boyfriend who, although is very encouraging of my MFP addiction, exercise, and eating (hate the word "dieting") habits, he is also sometimes quick to offer a bite of his chocolate bar, spoonful of his ice cream, or chunk of his doughnut. Hahaha! But in a weird way, it empowers me when he does this, because I politely turn it down with a quirky smile. lol
    I was also, up until about 4 or so years ago, very weight and health conscious, but things happen in our lives that steer the boat a different direction. So, like yourself, I'm back at the helm again!
    Someone mentioned "muscle memory," which is a very real thing. So we have that going for us! I only really NEED to lose 23 lbs, which I've already lost 4 of in just 4 weeks on here. I'm pretty psyched about it, too, because besides seeing the decrease on the scale, my clothes are fitting a little better and I see a difference in the mirror.
    You can do this! We BOTH can! I feel for you! I'm in the same boat!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I heard there were cookies here?!
  • lexibrielle419
    lexibrielle419 Posts: 5 Member
    You look like you can bounce right back with diet and exercise...Your body will remember the muscle it had and go right back with a little hard work!
  • janjan1981
    Thank you so much everyone!!! :blush:
  • zoritt
    zoritt Posts: 68 Member
    Hey I'm a 35 yr old mom of one and I can relate. Somewhere I forgot that eating within reason and working out consistently should be a lifestyle change and not a passing fad. Life has gotten a bit crazy for me within the year so I have decided to make my personal goals a priority. Best wishes!
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    I feel you. Trying to eat right when your spouse is not interested in the life style can be very very difficult. It's hard pulling a food scale out all the time in front of them. Remember your goals are your goals and be you.
    janjan1981 wrote: »
    So, I'm an almost 35 year old mom of 3 who has always prided herself in my ability to be "thin" and healthy and fit, or lose weight quickly when the scale says I weigh 5 more pounds than I should.

Well, within the past 10 months or so I've been through several things in my life that have caused me to overeat, stop working out, just stop caring in general. I'm 5'5" weighing 153.2lbs when my "normal" weight is about 135. So almost 20lbs over, and extremely unfit.
    r9y1xde0wh85.jpg

The picture I inserted, to the left, is me 3 years ago when I was working out consistently and eating healthy. The picture to the left is me last night. I haven't had any children or surgery or bad health problems in 3 years to cause this. Most of he weight gain is less than a year old.

Anyway I was going to join WW because of the accountability of the meetings but I read that the community aspect of MFP is really good. I've used MFP before successfully but never participated in the community.

Sorry for rambling. I guess I'm just looking for (free) support through my journey, a couple of people who can help me kick my *kitten* back into shape. I'm sad and I went from a size 4 to a size 10, and I'm just devastated about that. My husband is no help, he says I'm fine the way I am and hands me the doughnuts.

Cookies if you read all this

• Ahh, I totally empathize! I love working out, and have never really fallen off of that train in the past couple of years, but I went from eating healthily to binge eating way too many days since about march of last year. I'm scared to weigh myself and see how much weight I've gained, because then it just makes me more upset. I keep telling myself that I just need to have one week straight of not eating sweets or drinking alcohol and then I'll weigh myself, but then on day two I binge eat and push the scary back again. Womp womp.

I think I only need to lose 15 pounds, and I really want to do it by Christmas, but I keep failing. My boyfriend is also incredibly nice and says I'm beautiful just the way I am, which is what I want in my partner, but I also wish he'd understand that I want to not have dessert or drink.

I really need a community of people similar to me who can help me be confident in my ability to do this. I know you guys can, and I'm hoping I can gain my strength through you!
  • greg_sucal
    greg_sucal Posts: 7 Member
    We can still loose weight without sacrificing our urge of eating. Just choosing the right food and eat when hungry. Eating low carbs food will help a lot. Focus on eating high protein foods and vegetables. Avoid eating instant foods or even at the fast food.
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Just wanted to say that you and I are in similar positions. I had 20 to lose, lost 10 and and am kind of hanging out here in no motivation land :). You can do it!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    I feel ya. I'm semi in the same boat. I spent years on here losing weight..about 60 ish lbs to be exact. Then last year i stopped logging and putting in the work cause i was at my goal and maintaining. I can tell you that that was a mistake. I have gained about 10 lbs and my clothes are getting tight. :( No Bueno!
    I did go through some depression this year..family problems, empty nest syndrom, etc...but its still no excuse.
    I would love to add you as a friend and anyone else for that matter. We can do this!!
  • Hi guys! I could use some cheering on a bit/reassurance. I feel like I've finally started to monitor my food intake better this past week and have been on-point with exercising (switching between cardio and weight-lifting), but I only lost 0.6 pounds over the week. And I feel like it should've shown more. Do you think because I'm incorporating weight training the pounds will be slower to drop off? I only have 10 pounds to lose anyway, so I know it's not going to be fast. But still!
  • You can do this JanJan. Totally understand the husband thing, mines the same way. I Make separate meals sometimes now because I don't want to eat that "unhealthy" stuff anymore, like fried potatoes, BBQ, mac and cheese and the wonderful creamy pesto sauces. Get that motivation back and look to a healthier fitter you!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    I am in somewhat the same boat. I lost a lot of weight several years ago and kept it off with careful eating and exercise for a few years. I became a runner and, though it didn't help me lose weight, it did keep my weight pretty stable, no matter what I ate. After getting injured, a few pounds came back, and I ignored it. I ran a marathon and ate a lot of junk and more weight went on. This year I've had two major road trips (one month and 3 months) when I ate pretty badly and exercised a lot less than usual and I've watched the pounds creep up until I passed the point where I could not ignore it any more. Fortunately, my husband is willing to go along with a change in our diet because he also has gained weight during our travels. (Though I think he will have a hard time giving up ice cream for long.)

In any case, I know what I need to do to lose the weight, and so do you: increase exercise and decrease the junk going in.
  • I can totally relate! Before I had my twin girls four years ago I was in the best shape of my life. After I had my girls I dropped the twin baby weight, but after 4 years of caring for everyone else and losing myself in the mix, I don't recognize myself anymore! I look in the mirror and I want to cry! I decided 2 weeks ago that I have had enough! I'm calorie counting and working out 6 days a week and down 4.8lbs. I tell myself that this is for my girls! I want to be the best role model for them and teach them a healthy lifestyle. I'm also doing it for me... I want to feel like me again! If you want friend request me and maybe we can encourage each other to not lose sight of the big picture! We want to be MILFS lol!