Eating the night before weigh in.

Options
Aside from the obvious of staying away from sodium the night before weighin, what are some other food you either eat or avoid the night before a weigh in?

Replies

• lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    good question
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Aside from the obvious of staying away from sodium the night before weighin, what are some other food you either eat or avoid the night before a weigh in?

I don't avoid anything.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I wouldn't eat carbs after lunch. On a daily basis I normally eat mostly protein for my afternoon snack, dinner, and PM snack. Drink a ton of water that day too.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Because I want an honest read, I do everything I normally do. I'm not into "tricking" the scale. :wink:
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Because I want an honest read, I do everything I normally do. I'm not into "tricking" the scale. :wink:

And at 131 lbs lost.... I think this woman knows what she's talking about! Great job btw!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Vodka - I don't make a habit of it but as my weigh in's are Saturday morning, Friday nights can be unavoidable sometimes.

I find if I've drank booze the night before, the dehydration can strip fluids out (along with 5 litres of water a day all week to reduce water retention) making for leaner numbers on the scale.

Totally a false economy though as you pay for the calories in the booze later on.
  • tonialeem
    tonialeem Posts: 42
    Options
    I've read that Brocoli, Banana's or anything high in potasium as Potasium it helps get rid of retained water your body might be holding on too
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've read that Brocoli, Banana's or anything high in potasium as Potasium it helps get rid of retained water your body might be holding on too

Interesting......
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless I were in a weight loss contest why would I avoid anything. I can't really fool myself that easily so what is the point?
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    I don't believe it's fooling yourself. I think fooling yourself is when you weigh after dehydrating (kind of like some wrestlers will do). The scale can move 2 - 5 lbs from day to day.
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    Options
    Yeah not really trying to trick myself or the scale. Im really just wanting to get an accurate read of my actual body weight not the Water weight and the weight of the food i ate the night before. What would be the point to weigh in if i ate a ton of sodium and my weight was like 5 lbs heavier becuase i was retaining fluid like crazy. Im not changing the amount of water i drink or anything like that i just know that certain foods hurt your weigh in and can give you an inaccurate weigh in. Nothing Up my sleeves lol no tricks here just wanting an accurate measurement.:sad:
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    I don't change anything either, the omly thing I do different is the day after my weigh in i have take away as it's so hard to log. Other than that I just keep everything normal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning so it stops me from trying to game the system. Eat how you would normally and you will have an accurate assessment.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I just eat what I normally would. However, I'm more cautious about sodium intake the night before, and I have my weigh in day on Friday so I can prevent eating out the night before weigh in. I like to have the four days during the week to recover from any parties that might have taken place on the weekend.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I eat normally....
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    What would be the point to weigh in if i ate a ton of sodium and my weight was like 5 lbs heavier becuase i was retaining fluid like crazy.

Would you normally eat a ton of sodium then?
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    Options
    I try to eat less sodium but certian I.E. Lunch meats i try and avoid them before a weigh in.
  • tryinghard2012
    Options

And at 131 lbs lost.... I think this woman knows what she's talking about! Great job btw!

• tryinghard2012
    Options
    Yeah not really trying to trick myself or the scale. Im really just wanting to get an accurate read of my actual body weight not the Water weight and the weight of the food i ate the night before. What would be the point to weigh in if i ate a ton of sodium and my weight was like 5 lbs heavier becuase i was retaining fluid like crazy. Im not changing the amount of water i drink or anything like that i just know that certain foods hurt your weigh in and can give you an inaccurate weigh in. Nothing Up my sleeves lol no tricks here just wanting an accurate measurement.:sad:

In all seriousness, it is recommended you conduct life as you normally would. That's the most effective way. You may try some of the suggested "tricks" it may give you immediate satisfaction however if it's not an honest read, that following weigh in may result in a gain.

If you lost weight, your body will reflect it. Just drink enough water, eat healthy and exercise. Good luck!