Anyone doing the low fodmap diet for ibs

Options
Anyone doing the low fodmap diet with ibs? I struggle with ibs and know it can be extremely difficult to follow this diet plan. Let's work together and find recipes so we don't get stressed

Replies

• rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've actually been struggling to keep my IBS in check since I was diagnosed Novermber 2015. I actually just started looking in to the Low FODMAP diet and want to start it up and see how it goes for me - I read through the list of foods to avoid and it turns out foods I thought were safe for me really aren't do that's why I haven't had any relief I guess. I got an app The Monash University Low FODMAP Diet and you can plug in food and it will tell you if it's safe or not; I'll be using this for my grocery shopping.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I did it, the elimination phase was hard, but I am glad I did it. I suggest downloading the monash app to quickly look up foods and recipes.
  • knogoal2014
    knogoal2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-C and my doctor told me to try the low FODMAP but I am having a hard time with it. I feel like I cant eat anything.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That's why i am too scared to do it!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am on the autoimmune protocol, and I believe you can eat more food on fodmap. Elimination diets are scary at first but we have so many online resources now. You can so do it :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My daughter went through the routine over several months and to my eyes it looked like her cupboard was bare.

We did have a cooking session together where we made energy bars. Instead of butter, EVOO. Instead of puffed wheat, millet. And replacing the brown sugar, my daughter opted for blackstrap molasses.

She also kept veggie chips in the cupboard for snack attacks.

Over the months the symptoms slowly subsided and she gradually added new foods. She narrowed down her problem to dairy.

zjh4cc6nbgub.jpg

• mindyjo74
    mindyjo74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can anyone share low fodmap recipes? Getting ready to start this plan and it is so overwhelming. Need ideas!!
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a condition called hepatic flexure syndrome and my GI had suggested this if his other suggestions didn't work. I was fortunate that I found relief in other ways however I wanted to let you all know that there are tons of recipes to be found on Pinterest which may aid you in your quest to adhere to the diet. :-) I wish you luck. It is very restrictive but the short term pain could well be worth the long term gain of finding your triggers.