Cutting out Caffeine

melinaxox126
melinaxox126 Posts: 1 Member
Trying to cut out coffee and other caffeine to help with weight loss ... However, being a student and waitressing full time without caffeine is IMPOSSIBLE! Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations to help me out ?? I've been taking a multivitamin with energy but it doesn't give me an extra push.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I'm curious to know how caffeine affects weight loss?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    cutting out coffee is not going to help weight loss unless you are using enough cream/sugar,etc that puts you over maintenance calories
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Going cold turkey on caffeine withdrawal is brutal. I recommend weaning yourself off of it gradually if it's something you really want to do.
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    edited October 2016
    I stopped drinking coffee last fall and now grab a Starbucks Refresher when i need a kick in my day. Refreshers can be ordered at most Starbucks in various sizes (60-100 cal) and a few flavors (in like Very Berry best). Its cold, on ice, and watery, not a slushy drink. They also make a sparkling version in tall skinny cans (90 cal) which are also great (all of them) and convenient. I travel a lot so grab these in airprts before I head to my meeting or hotel). If they sold these at my grocery store i would keep them in stock at home. Im a doctoral student and work full time - cold refreshers are super helpful in keeping upwith what i need to get done.
  • bininj
    bininj Posts: 77 Member
    I've just been reading the benefits of coffee/caffeine. It seems coffee in moderation does no harm. It definitely revs some people up a bit by boosting their energy levels. Is that bad?
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I have to admit I am currently drinking coffee. But when I quit before I switched to green tea hot or cold. Then it is easier to switch to water or no caffeine. My grand parents use to mix one bag of regular coffee and one bag of decaf coffee, that way they were making half-caf. I think you can buy half-caf now. Good luck! I am trying to keep a pitcher of green tea and one of water with ginger, cucumber and lime in the frig this week.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I'm a student and I work as well, so I feel your pain. I have been completely off coffee before. I would drink several iced green teas (unsweetened) from Starbucks each day.
    Now I just decided to go back to coffee some days. I don't need sugar and I fit the cream in for my calories. I haven't noticed a difference in my weight loss!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    bininj wrote: »
    I've just been reading the benefits of coffee/caffeine. It seems coffee in moderation does no harm. It definitely revs some people up a bit by boosting their energy levels. Is that bad?

I just am very sensitive to caffeine. I try and limit myself to about 8-10 ounces a day. It's just that too much of it after a certain hour and my sleep goes to pieces.

• RaeAneJF
    RaeAneJF Posts: 7 Member
    I started changing out soda and other caffeine drinks by drinking really cold water instead. Just wean off. Trade out one or two cups/drinks every day with the ice cold water and after a few days you'll find your drinking more water and it'll get easier to leave caffeine behind. Since I left the caffeine for water I've actually had more energy and less sluggish down periods when the caffeine wore out of my system. Good luck to you!
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    cutting out coffee is not going to help weight loss unless you are using enough cream/sugar,etc that puts you over maintenance calories

^ This. I've noticed absolutely no difference in the rate or level of weight loss since giving up caffeine. All it did was give me a few extra calories to play with per day since I took milk and sugar with my coffee.
    Going cold turkey on caffeine withdrawal is brutal. I recommend weaning yourself off of it gradually if it's something you really want to do.

^ And this! I had no option but to go cold turkey (GP advice following heart palpitations) but it was horrific! For weeks. Definitely reduce your levels gradually if you really want to give it up.

I'm not sure there's any way to avoid the withdrawal symptoms from caffeine - but the horrible tiredness and lethargy does go after a while and I think I feel better for it.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    I figure out how much I'm drinking (I'm into black coffee, no sugar). Then, I cut one cup per week. I load up on herbal teas so there is something around that is hot. When I get down to the last cup, I quit it but I might carry around a bottle of diet, flat coke for a day or two. I take a swig if I have a headache or feel tired. A doctor told me this was his trick and it tastes so bad that I use it medicinally, if you will.

I agree that caffeine doesn't really impact my weight loss. But I do hate being addicted and I have cut myself off a few times, only to eventually go back.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Um caffeine is an appetite suppressent. If you are cutting out coffee to help with weight loss you might be in for an unfortunate suprise there.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm curious to know how caffeine affects weight loss?

Yeah - I've never heard of this either.
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    I think if anything upping my caffeine has helped my weight loss. Of course, I drink my coffee black now.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Um caffeine is an appetite suppressent. If you are cutting out coffee to help with weight loss you might be in for an unfortunate suprise there.

And its thermogenic...
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,626 Member
    whew, I'm glad to hear coffee doesn't effect weight, bcuz i love coffee & don't want to give it up! I make it at home. half decaf & half regular so i can drink more of it. I do use some creamer but it's only 25cal per serving & log it. I also drink green tea & lots of water. Fortunately, i never drank soda or fruit drinks before mfp, so I'm good
  • aaron_kollmeyer
    aaron_kollmeyer Posts: 5 Member
    A little pure caffeine is needed for morning fasted cardio!!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Caffeine is a mild thermogenic so can have some impact on increasing fat loss. If you have milk/cream/sugar in your coffee then track it carefully. If you drink black coffee, it is calorie free. Why cut it out?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Trying to cut out coffee and other caffeine to help with weight loss
    Well that's a mistake!...

However, being a student and waitressing full time without caffeine is IMPOSSIBLE!
    No it isn't, adequate sleep helps. Avoiding an excessive calorie deficit also helps.

Anybody have any suggestions or recommendations to help me out ??
    Drink coffee if you like it. Very few calories in black coffee.

I've been taking a multivitamin with energy but it doesn't give me an extra push.
    Vitamins don't give you energy.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Trying to cut out an appetite suppressant to try to improve weight loss seems a bit counterproductive.