Feel like throwing up when I walk/exercise?

Options
My daughter just had gastic by pass surgery, 8 weeks ago, and walking slowly down the street makes her want to throw up. I had the same thing done, felt the same way, but push through it and sometimes did throw up and kept going. I have reached my weightloss goal and have kept it off for 3 years. My daughter will walk, get the "feeling" and stops exercising for the day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• HeartLunger
    Options
    I didn't have the procedure done, but often times if I run within an hour of eating a meal I get a nauseous feeling. Once I ate a sandwich before and run and about half way through I couldn't keep the sandwich down. Are you, perhaps, eating too soon before exercise?
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Whatever she does, she has to want it for herself. You can't want it for her.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It might be related to the surgery. She should discuss it with her doctor.
  • DANANFL
    DANANFL Posts: 11
    Options
    The doctor has cleared her medically and says she is all good for exercise, even with weights. She really has not moved from behind a computer or off the couch in years. I sometimes think it is due to her not being used to moving and walking alone is too hard for her to do. Just wondering if maybe drinking too much water while we are walking might make her sick. I don't drink water when we walk or when I work out, she is however, drinking the whole time we are walking. I was wondering if anyone else gets "sick" and if you walk through it or quit?
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do you think it could be mental? maybe try distracting from the task at hand. Having a set destination, or walking through a garden? even shopping...... It might be hard to view exercise as healthy and fun after hating it for so long.

My good friend just had the surgery and is having a hell of a time with it. I wish you both the best!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It used to me sometimes when I am walking at a decent/fast pace, then slow down. I read it has to do with the sudden drop in blood pressure. She may just have to walk at a slow even pace for a while until her body gets used to exercise.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot of specifics about gastric bypass but from what I do know, it's probably the water. If her stomach doesn't have a lot of room, filling it up with water while moving could definitely be the cause of her becoming nauseous, or could at least make it worse. Have you talked to her about not drinking water while walking as a test?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If I drink too much water when I exercise, then I get nauseous. I take little sips just to get rid of the thirsty feeling and after I am done working out, I drink a ton of water. I don't know much about the surgery though and its effects on the amounts of water that can be consumed.
  • DANANFL
    Options
    I sometimes think its mental. But I hate to say that and dismiss another issue. Cause believe me, I love my daughter, but she is mental! :)
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    She should start off super slow and not drink so much water. Whenever I drink a lot when exercising it makes me feel sick, but I've never gotten physically sick. Usually when I work out I drink little sips then a lot when I'm done. Walking on a full stomach of water is probably what's doing it. Plus she hasn't been active in a while, so go slow, and if it's hot out bring a small handheld fan. Tell her to wear a hat and sunscreen to protect herself.. whenever I'm exercising in hot weather it makes me feel sick (hence why I go to the gym)
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The doctor has cleared her medically and says she is all good for exercise, even with weights. She really has not moved from behind a computer or off the couch in years. I sometimes think it is due to her not being used to moving and walking alone is too hard for her to do. Just wondering if maybe drinking too much water while we are walking might make her sick. I don't drink water when we walk or when I work out, she is however, drinking the whole time we are walking. I was wondering if anyone else gets "sick" and if you walk through it or quit?

If I drink too much water while exercising, I too get nausous. I have to put my water bottle away.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Instead of water, could she chew gum to keep her throat from drying out?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I sometimes think its mental. But I hate to say that and dismiss another issue. Cause believe me, I love my daughter, but she is mental! :)

My first question would be - is she actually feeling sick or does she want to stop. I remember when I'd 'feel sick' so I didn't have to do XY&Z, if the real issue is that she doesn't WANT to be walking, if she lacks her mother's motivation, than the problem will persist. She has to want it as badly as you wanted it.

I used to be the same way, I had bad knees and ankles and I'd use them to get out of running all the time, now, (after cutting out foods I was allergic/intolerant to/of) I have no pain on a run. And, on at least one occassion popped off the trail to lose my lunch before continuing on the run. I think this was because I was drinking water with flavor in it and I normally don't (Mio and I hate one another).

Take her to the doc about it, or call the doc, maybe get her a trainer who will be able to make sure she isn't doing something to the point of sickness/injury.
  • DANANFL
    Options
    Instead of water, could she chew gum to keep her throat from drying out?

i am going to suggest that! Good Idea!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I had the gb as well. I pushed through it. As you are aware the more exercise she can get in now the better her overall healing and health will be when the hard times come.....plateau. If she's not drinking enough drink while she walks. If she is walking on a full belly (at 8 weeks post op easy to do) this could be causing that belly discomfort. She might be drinking too much instead of sipping. That was the hardest thing for me to learn at first. Over filling that pouch with fluid is a nightmare. Best of luck to her and grats to you. I'm down 180lbs and on my last 58 til goal weight! WTG Ladies
  • DANANFL
    Options
    I had the gb as well. I pushed through it. As you are aware the more exercise she can get in now the better her overall healing and health will be when the hard times come.....plateau. If she's not drinking enough drink while she walks. If she is walking on a full belly (at 8 weeks post op easy to do) this could be causing that belly discomfort. She might be drinking too much instead of sipping. That was the hardest thing for me to learn at first. Over filling that pouch with fluid is a nightmare. Best of luck to her and grats to you. I'm down 180lbs and on my last 58 til goal weight! WTG Ladies

Glad to hear your doing so well and can understand what we go are going through. I am going to suggest less fluids during the walk and more during the day and after. She is having trouble understanding how her stomach is working. I swear she still walks around with the Arbys sign over her head! She is having a hard time and missing her fast food!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I honestly think the mental game is the hardest with the GB. You know how it is about now she is thinking why on earth didn't I just lose the weight instead of doing this to myself. In about 30 days she'll be glad she finally made the decision to do something. Everyone thinks the GB is the easy way out. If they really only knew how difficult a journey it really is. Encourage her to join and she can add me. I'll be happy to encourage her along side you. :)