Feel light headed on 1200 calories.

Options
2»

Replies

• aprilzabeth
    aprilzabeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    MFP started me on the same amount of calories and I was starving and cranky. SO CRANKY. I upped my calories a bit and feel much better and have more energy. Maybe you can try more calories for a little while and see how that goes.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kris03451 wrote: »
    I think it is better to find the TDEE using a TDEE calculator like sailrabbit and aim to take off 250-500 calories.

I used a TDEE and the numbers came out the exact same

So did you calculate TDEE or BMR because they should not be the same?
  • TeaCurls
    TeaCurls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong but are you staying hydrated? A common cause of low blood that can lead to dizziness pressure is dehydration.... just a thought. Are you spacing out your calories thru the day or are you only eating a couple of times a day?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Kris03451 wrote: »
    I think it is better to find the TDEE using a TDEE calculator like sailrabbit and aim to take off 250-500 calories.

I used a TDEE and the numbers came out the exact same

So did you calculate TDEE or BMR because they should not be the same?

BMR is the amount of calories you use to stay alive not counting exercise movement daily activities etc.

TDEE is the total calories your body requires per day including movement exercise activity etc.

You should eat 250 to 500 below TDEE.
    You should NOT eat below your BMR.
  • Quilty60
    Quilty60 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm new at this so I have a few questions. What is BMR and TDEE?
    I am 60 years old and have Systemic Lupus among other auto immune issues. My activity level is very, very low. Daily steps between 800- 1400 per day.

I raised my calories to 1300 per day. It helped a little. I need to add more veggies and protein to my diet. I drink a lot of water in the summer, less now.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Best wishes Quilty. Don't worry, you don't have to excersize to lose weight. Just eat less calories than you use each day and you will lose. Set your goals on mfp to lose one pound per week. Set your activity level at Sedentary. That should help.
  • jvanessa89
    jvanessa89 Posts: 332 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My advice is if you are hungry, then please eat more (but choose something healthy). Always listen to your body over what MyFitnessPal says. You don't have to starve to lose weight. I've lost over 100 pounds without feeling weak or deprived of food.
  • Quilty60
    Options
    I use SailRabbit calculator.
    It says my BMR is 1385
    TDEE is 1605
  • Quilty60
    Options
    Calorie intake goal 1107?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I would try 1450 since your BMR is 1385 you don't want to eat less than that. You will still be under 1605 so in a mild deficit.

See how your results go and how you feel and adjust from there.

At least that's what I would think is good- have you consulted your doctor?
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Quilty60 wrote: »
    Calorie intake goal 1107?

No! You already feel lightheaded on 1200, do not go lower!! Stay above BMR
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

OP, if you are feeling better on 1300, then stick with that for a few weeks. Also watch how you are feeling and if you are losing and how fast.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    So, if this helps - there is disagreement in the medical community, world wide, about how many calories people should eat to lose X amount of weight. Different countries have different standards. I've noticed that MFP seems to take the lower end of calories recommendations.

The thing is, PEOPLE are quite individual, and what may be healthy for one person may be far too few calories for another. It's often best to see how YOU feel, and if you are not feeling good on the amount of calories you are eating, I would eat more, you know?

Re: losing weight as someone with health issues - in my experience (as someone who has a few chronic illnesses, and is on support groups for them so I talk with others who have these, too), don't approach it like a healthy person.

Because losing weight is a stressor on your body. And due to your illnesses, you ALREADY have numerous stressors on your body. Losing weight at 1 pound a week, while fine for someone healthy, may be excessive strain on YOUR body, you know?

Many chronically ill people I know try to exercise or lose weight in a much slower manner than those who are healthy (if, of course, they don't have doctor's advice to do so in a different manner). And from a different, well, perspective, I guess.

Healthy folks can start at a higher level of exercise/weight loss and if it's too much, not a big deal. Easily remedied. But if you start doing too much when you are already ill, it can really knock you down. It can be better to, instead, start small and work your way up slowly, so you start getting hints when things are getting too much and you need to slow it back down.

As an example, when I started walking exercises, I tried at first to walk 15 minutes at a time a few times a day - such a bad idea. My illness flares due to exercise, too, and holy cow, everything just nose dived!

So to combat it, I literally started with 3-5 minutes a day, and I increased my time by 1 minute every 1-2 days. And I had to make sure to time it, and even if I felt 'ok' when I walked, I kept it to that tiny, incremental increase. And I WAS able to slowly increase my exercise, even though it felt like I was moving at a glacial pace. And when I hit the point where my body was just doing too much, I was only BARELY doing too much, with that small increase in exercise times, so the flare was tiny, and I was able to go back down to a safe exercise level without so many health problems.

Weight loss can be the same, for us less healthy folks. Starting really small, like 1/8 or 1/4 of a pound a week, and then if that feels good, increasing the amount little by little, until it is in a 'good' range for you, you know?

Wishing you well, hon!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Given your health situation, is this something you can discuss with your doctor?