BMI and fat%

Options
Can anyone help me?
My BMI is in the normal range but my body fat % is over 30. I workout and consider myself quite fit.
How can I shift the extra fat?

Replies

• dabomb5198
    dabomb5198 Posts: 26
    Options
    How do you know your body fat is over 30%? My BMI states I am overwight but a Dexascan determined I'm at 18% body fat. I would you caution in determining body fat without a water test or Dexascan.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    I had it measured at my gym. i also have scales that measure body fat. The readings are almost identical.
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. Eating low fat...lean meats and fresh veggies. Drink tons of water at least 80 oz a day.
  • JoBFit
    Options
    i do lots of cardio and eat well. I guess I'm guilty of not drinking enough water. I must try harder!!
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water is very important...I cannot stress that enough. I don't add anything to my water. I drink with a straw it helps. I do not count coffee, tea, or anything else as water.

I brought my body fat from 25% to 19% since just before summer. It works!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    i do lots of cardio and eat well. I guess I'm guilty of not drinking enough water. I must try harder!!

weights, go as heavy as you can.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    First of all...throw BMI out the window. It's not an accurate measure especially for people who are into fitness. I would get an actual test done for BF%. I want to do it but haven't had time. A doctor's office may be a good place but I know many bigger colleges have the equipment to do these tests and are much more accurate.
  • 21katykat01
    Options
    The exercise you're doing is great. Cardio gets your lungs, heart and blood pressure in great shape. But if the cardio you're doing isn't burning fat, you really need to start strength training around two times a week to start out with.

If you've never done strength training before and feel you don't have the physical ability to start with weights, start with your own body weight. Press ups, sit ups, squats, lunges and (if you have the facilities to get a bar) pull ups. You can move on to free weights once your strength is built up, lifting as much as you can. You might only be able to do 4 or 5 reps before your muscles are exhausted, but that's fine!

Muscle burns a lot more calories, and as you build up more, you will burn much more of your fat percentage.

Good luck!

xo
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    IMHO, time is your friend. Be consistent in your workouts, make them intense.

For me, over the last 20 years, I have put on pounds. If it takes a year or so to get to my 'ideal' weight is that really so bad? Better to be moving down then up.

Looks like you are doing fine according to your ticker. I concur with the BMI comments. Its great for a baseline, but at the end of the day its not 'one size (BMI) fits all'. A better measure is to watch how your clothes fit. Every month do the pants get a little more room in them? Thats the part that counts.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

I second this... the more muscle you build the lower your BF% is... also the more muscle you have the more fat you will lose. Muscle burns fat.

Read the link in my signature titled "WHY WEIGHT TRAINING IS IMPORTANT" this will shed light on your specific problem.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I third this - I weighed 102 pounds and was 22% body fat. I weigh 110 now and am at 18% body fat. I also eat more now than ever. I attribute it completely to lifting heavy weights and doing Crossfit (high intensity functional weight training and cardio).
  • JoBFit
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!
    I am getting a new program at the gym this week- and will ask for some weight training to be thrown in. I am really pathetic when it comes to weights- can't even do a single push up! I am a little scared of weights to be honest- feel a little intimidated by all those beefy guys!
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!
    I am getting a new program at the gym this week- and will ask for some weight training to be thrown in. I am really pathetic when it comes to weights- can't even do a single push up! I am a little scared of weights to be honest- feel a little intimidated by all those beefy guys!

My mom used to tell me "if you only knew how much people DIDN'T care and DONT watch you, you would have more self confidence"

I always repeat this when ever I feel like people are watching me... no worries.. most of those guys are too busy gocking at thier own big muscles that they wont even notice you. Unless of course you wear booty shorts and a sports bra and go flaunt yourself in front of them. lol :wink:
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    **Double post
  • JoBFit
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could wear booty shorts and a teeny top!!! lol
    Have just followed the thread you posted- thanks that was really helpful.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Oh how I wish I could wear booty shorts and a teeny top!!! lol
    Have just followed the thread you posted- thanks that was really helpful.

hahah me too.. oh how I wish those booty shorts complimented me... lol Im getting there. SOMEday i will be there! lol
  • sportsfan34
    sportsfan34 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with shannontrevino. Water is extremely important and you can acutally burn a few more calories drinking ice water than water at room temperature. As a registered dietitian, we recommend drinking at least a liter of water for every 1000cal you take in. For example, if you eat 1800 calories per day, you should drink at least 1.8 Liters of water per day. There are 33.8oz or 34oz per liter. Meaning, if you eat 1800 calories per day, you should take in at least 1.8 liters or 75oz of water per day (8oz=1cup). This doesn't really take exercising into account or the water that you get from foods and other beverages. Most women need between 2.5 and 3 liters of total water per day, which includes the water you get from foods and other beverages. Then add more to replace water lost during extreme heat and/or exercise. Water can actually help curb your appetite, drinking more than the daily minimum can be very beneficial. Hope that helps a little!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio. Eating low fat...lean meats and fresh veggies. Drink tons of water at least 80 oz a day.

Especially if the glass of water is on the floor and weighs about 100 lbs. Squat down, pick it up, take a sip, and put it down. Repeat 8-10 times.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic. Very interesting.o
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Weights, definitely. Lifting heavy weights 2-3 times a week, it will change your body composition, help build lean muscle and burn off the fat better.