KettleBells

zoombie_bear
zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
any here use kettle bells? is this any good?
what dvd do you recommend
what would be a good starter weight for a kbell for a girl?

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    I bought that 10lbs one that they had at my local Walmart. And the Jillian Michaels Shred it with Weights DVD. I love the routine. A lot of people recommend taking a class because the movements can be difficult form wise so the teaching of it is often suggestion. I like to live on the wild side...:laugh: so I didn't take a class but did read up on it some to make sure I wasn't going to take out my back or something!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    I Love kettlebells!

I got the DVD & 15 lbs kettlebell from walmart. Love love it. GREAT work out! However, I took a few classes before I did the DVD on my own - for is truely key to get the best work out, and not injure yourself!
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Right now I sm using the kettle bell once a week in conjunction with other weights. I started with a 10 pound kettle bell and the lady in the DVD explained that if it is wobbly when using it you might use one with less pounds. I really enjoy using it because it offers variety for your workout!! Good luck and best wishes! :)
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    I think kettlebells are overpriced (like the pretty pink vinyl ones for girls that cost twice as much but weigh half as much as the "guys" kettlebells). I think the routines are great, but you can do them with regular dumbells you can buy on craigslist or a garage sale. Good luck.
  • Kettlebell Bombshell is an excellent dvd for beginners. I have a 10lbs and about to upgrade, I love working with it. The dvd is awesome, she really explains everything and you get a great workout at the same time. You can go to any dvd selling website and check out clips of it.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    I LOVE kettlebells!!! While it's a great workout, I wouldn't recommend Jillians to start though, she doesn't go over technique very well. Get a good beginner dvd or take a class, as mama said. Improper technique can cause injury! Gin Miller is a good one, also Kettlebell Bootcamp with Angie Miller. If you're already in decent shape strengthwise, Kettlebell Bombshell is fantastic (has a tutorial plus 3 workouts).

I disagree with dumbbells being the same. KBs provide a whole different dynamic and are way more versatile for an all over body workout than dumbbells.

Friend requst me if you'd like a KB buddy :))
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    I use Jillian Michael's Shred It Weight...which I love even after 7 months.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Kettlebell Bombshell is an excellent dvd for beginners. I have a 10lbs and about to upgrade, I love working with it. The dvd is awesome, she really explains everything and you get a great workout at the same time. You can go to any dvd selling website and check out clips of it.

I second the Kettlebell Bombshell DVD. I bought a set of bells, 5, 10 and 15 lbs. I use the 15 lbs. on the circuit training portion of the DVD and 10 lbs. on the upper body workout right now.
  • dawbygirl
    dawbygirl Posts: 19
    I would avoid the Jillian Michaels kettlebell routines if you want the correct form to follow for them. She changes the names of the classic moves and doesn't apply her muscles in the way the kettlebells were designed for. The American Kettlebell Club (AKC) suggests 8kg (18 lb) for a healthy female as a starting weight, but I found I had to build up to that from a 10 lb. Remember, though, that the swing of the kettlebell does NOT come from your arms, but from your legs and the forward motion of your hips. So you can probably use a heavier weight than you might think.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    We have them at the gym I go to. Going to ask the fitness instructor there to show me how to use them..and add them into my strength training routine soon. I love my gym--mostly because it is free..and easy to get to..since it is where I work on an Army installation...very top notch!
  • Karilee75
    Karilee75 Posts: 4
    If you all up your kettlebell to at least 18 lbs, you will get results much faster. Even a beginner can use an 18 lb. bell. Form is key with kettlebells, get the book kettlebells for dummies, or kettlebell bombshell is a good place to start. Lauren Brooks kettlebell DVD's from amazon are awesome. All you need for a good workout for the rest of your life is a couple heavy kettlebells. They are DIFFERENT from dumbells. But you must learn from a good instuctor, or at least a good quality DVD instructor. Jillian is great, but her kettlebell technique is BAD!!
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    I have the Jllian Michaels Shred-It with Weights and Bob Harper's Kettlebell Cardio Shred. I really like JM's. I bought an 8 lb and 10 lb Danskin Kettlebell from Walmart (which it also comes with a starter DVD) and that seems to work well for me. Anxious to look up some of the other suggestions mentioned on this post as well since I really like doing the kettlebell workouts. Thanks for posting.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    I just got my first KettleBell work out.. I'm excited to try it. I bought The Firm Kettlebell and it came with a 5lb kettlebell, not sure that I'll stick with 5lbs for long before I move up to 10lbs, but it's a start, I plan on using it for the first time tonight, so.. I'll add ya, and let ya know how I like it. It was only like $18 for the DVD which had a 20 min workout, a 45 min work out, and an 8 min ab workout on it and the 5 lbs kettlebell, I got it at Walmart..

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=the+firm+kettlebell&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    For Kettlebells you can't do better than Pavel's he is the person who has brought them into modern fitness.

Enter the Kettlebell is his DVD and I would highly recommend it.

MBody post lots of workouts on You Tube as well as their own website and they are both fun and informative.

Form is everything if you can get a one off session with a PT I would for two reasons 1) Help ascertain what KB to start with and 2) Ensure that you use them correctly.

I love Kettlebells they are my favourite piece of equipment but you are only one bad swing away from a bad back!

Enjoy
  • MAG2010
    MAG2010 Posts: 30
    I found this one on Amazon - has the workout and the ball....has anyone used this one? Amazon reviews seem good.

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Kettlenetics-Slim-Tone-Kit/dp/B001EQW8W2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1310486893&sr=8-11
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Kettlebell Bombshell is an excellent dvd for beginners. I have a 10lbs and about to upgrade, I love working with it. The dvd is awesome, she really explains everything and you get a great workout at the same time. You can go to any dvd selling website and check out clips of it.

I agree! I have the Bob Harper dvd and it's so long and I could hardly walk for three days. The girl on Kettlebell Bombshell is not as annoying as Jillian and I love it!
This discussion has been closed.