Low carb high fat-protein diet

Options
I have been on the low carb, high fat diet protein diet for one week and of course working out. Has the diet worked for anyone out there with great results.

Replies

• kentbuhr
    kentbuhr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do u have a deficit when counting calories?
  • kentbuhr
    kentbuhr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have my own variation of this that I have sustained for 2 months. Lost almost 8% body weight. Each body is different. Some people never feel full on this type of eating.
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Down 5 lbs right now. This is day 8. I'm doing 1800 calories a day too
  • rozebud1
    rozebud1 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm back on the keto diet as of two days ago. In the past, I was able to lose a lot of weight pretty rapidly - about 13 pounds in the first three weeks. Pay attention to how much protein you are eating though. Protein will actually convert to glucose of unused. A good rough ratio is about 10% carbs, 20% protein, and 70% fat. Carb cycling (weekly cheat day) is also important in my opinion. It might take you briefly out of ketosis, but I've found with the ratio above, I can achieve ketosis again in about 24 hours. I never count calories on keto, because the point of it count net carbs - between 20g-50g daily depending on your own body (personally, I can maintain keto status around 30g of carbs daily) and eat lots of fat. In fact, the more fat the better!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've had terrific results with it myself...successfully eliminated 165 pounds (see my user profile for full details of my story). I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yes, I have. 51 pounds so far. Started about 18 months ago, lost most of it in the first 6 months or so then as I got nearer my goal weight its slowed down. So I still have 25 punds or so to go but alot if that is lymph (I have lipo-lymphedema ) so will not come off without surgery, but it is worth noting all that extra weight I had been carrying was put on while living on a low-fat (for gallstones ) low calorie (for weightcontrol) diet that just didnt work.
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I lost 23lbs on it last year over 7 weeks. Put 8 back on over the next 10 months but then have since lost 15 from the beginning of June by counting calories. I didn't count any calories while doing the lchf diet.
  • jmcdao
    jmcdao Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body chemistry and your specific metabolism.

For some (myself included)-- eating low-carb/high-protein is very effective.
    It is maintaining that lifestyle in a high-carb world that is the challenge.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit of course it will work (for anyone). Whether you enjoy eating that way or not will depend on you, just give it time and see if you like it.

Some will claim that it works better than other methods or is the only true way or nonsense like that (or ridiculous things such as that it's the only way to eat healthfully -- eating healthfully isn't really about macros at all, and diets can be great or terrible or in-between with almost any set of macros, I would certainly recommend eating plenty of veg when low carbing, as well as when eating more carbs). But that aside, it may turn out to work better for you, if it turns out to be a way you enjoy eating more than other ways of maintaining a deficit or, eventually, maintaining.

I like including more carbs in my diet and don't really enjoy a high fat diet, so it's not for me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work --again, of course it does.
  • kshatriyo
    kshatriyo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm on the ketogenic diet, which is high fat. I get about 5% carbs, 20% protein, and the rest is fat. I can't go over 1400 calories per day without feeling nauseated...there is no question this is an effective diet. I monitor my ketones with urine strips and my doctor coaches me. It's science, no a fad.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet and try to stick to around 50g or less of carbs per day, also once a week I allow myself a higher carb day of 100g or slightly more.

I like it as it's helped keep my cravings at bay and reduced my consumption of surgary/junk food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It worked very well for me. I lost the 40lbs I needed to lose in five months, improved my insulin resistance, cognitive function, autoimmune issues, skin, hair, and energy levels.

Because I am someone with insulin resistance though, the diet may have a beneficial effect for me than it would for someone who is completely metabolically healthy. Moderate carb or high carb is a recipe for disaster for someone like me.

BTW, my macros are 5-10% carbs, 20% protein and 70-75% fat.
  • DebraBenefield
    DebraBenefield Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I will let you know how I am doing in the coming weeks.
  • DebraBenefield
    DebraBenefield Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kentbuhr wrote: »
    Do u have a deficit when counting calories?

I do have a deficit most days
  • GoChica
    GoChica Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also following Ketogenic diet. 36 hrs. in :)
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs since March of this year.