Busy Nurse and Army wife...... are you one too?

Options
vanessaaorth717
vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
edited October 2016 in Motivation and Support
On your feet all day, have biscuits and cakes shoved at you in the staff room/meetings? Physically and emotionally tired? have kids? Perhaps even a husband/wife in the army who leaves you for months on end? Want to share with me how you do it?? I'm at breaking point tonight!! Fed up of helping others and getting sweet f.a in return.

I have been on early starts this week. 4:30am my alarm goes off, and after working, picking up kids, washing uniforms, cooking dinner and cleaning and FINALLY getting my two rambunctious boys to bed, I fall into bed myself. No gym, no walks or bike rides or relaxing yoga. I don't log any activity in my diary because I don't really know how many steps I do or calories I burn - the hospital I'm at now has a strict no wristwatch policy (also no phones on the floor policy so I can't use my phone step counter!)

It's Saturday here in Australia and it was a nice day outside but I felt so tired, I sat all day. Now I feel guilty that I didn't get out there and move. Can I do it tomorrow? Haha. Would love to know from other nurses how many steps or calories per day you're logging. I do a 9 hour shift on a rehabilitation ward (surgical not drugs/alcohol) for comparison.

Thanks so much for your time

Replies

• GypsyERRN
    GypsyERRN Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm an ER nurse. The ER I'm in now is busy but small (24 beds). I get about 13000 steps in a 12 hour shift. As long as I'm not in triage...
  • GypsyERRN
    GypsyERRN Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We don't technically have the no phone rule.... we really aren't supposed to have them... we keep them silenced and discreet. It still counts my steps. I don't get service in the ER, so steps and the calculator for med calc is all it's good for until I go outside on my break!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people say they attach their Fitbit to their bra strap or something like that when they're not allowed to wear it at work. Not sure if that would work for you.
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    Thanks so much girls. 13,000 is a good number. I like the bra strap idea too. Inventive!!
  • nashgirl516
    nashgirl516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not an army wife, but a pediatric RN! I wear my fitbit alta and LOVE it. It doubles as both an alarm and a watch, so it's extra handy. It's also nice that it syncs my steps into MFP!

I definitely know the struggle of CONSTANTLY having snacks around. We actually have an "unhealthy coping skills" drawer in the staff workroom that is just filled with fun-size candy bars, etc! My only tip is that I make a few crock pot meals on my day(s) off and then portion them out into the Ziplock Twist n Seal rounds (which don't leak!) so that when I leave for work I can just grab two of them (i.e. chicken and soup or chili, etc) and toss in a greek yogurt and applesauce. That way I'm not (as) tempted to be snacking on junk food all night! The other thing I do is make sure to drink at LEAST 12c water per shift so that I stay both hydrated and (more) full.
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    @nashgirl516 good tips! How many daily steps do you clock up as a paed nurse?
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So many things in common! I also get up at 4:30. At work there is junk food several times per day. I work 12 hour shifts, and I force myself to take a five minute break every 4 hours no matter what. That way I don't get wrung out and likely to grab a donut ( or three oh no! ). I pack easy stuff like chicken thighs and apple halves. Sometimes Greek yogurt, almonds, veggies , cheese sticks, etc. it doesn't take much to keep me running for four hours and I know I will refuel at 11am, 3pm, and 7pm. Then at 8 pm I'm home and eat a huge plate of veggies with fish or chicken. Oh yeah, the water. I drink 700 ml each time real fast and then I am sooo full!

At first it was hard to put the time Into my self care. Now it's fast and simple. Best wishes to you, sounds like you have so much going on right now! You got this!

On med surg I get 8,000 to 16,000 steps depending on where my rooms are and how busy it is.

That's terrible that u can't wear a watch! How can you be expected to time stuff?
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @leahkathleen13 ! We wear fob watches pinned to our shirts. It's supposed to be compliant with hand hygiene/infection control. Whatever! It's not like I'm in oncology or ICU
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    The rest of my message disappeared. Grrr
    We had a masssive double decker chocolate cake for health and safety today (even though last week was nutrition awareness week!!) staying firm and saying no to all these treats is going to have to happen - I didn't have any cake by the way!
    Not becoming overly hungry and sipping cups of tea help too. Water, as you say, is a must! I have been paying more attention over the last couple of weeks to my 'patterns'. I grabbed a cookie from the kitchen and ate it with my coffee without even thinking yesterday. I got halfway through it before I threw it in the bin! I took some almonds and ate those instead today. Little things all add up. I am yet to find a way to get more sleep and energy to go to the gym..... maybe I'll just leave it for my days off. One step at a time xx