Whats better goblett squats and lunges or back barbell squats?

Options
I m over 50. Until last year never did squats rarely worked legs in my life after age 30 other then some running and later biking. I started with squats and never felt comfortable with them and did not enjoy. In fact deaded them and started to hate them. Being poor at them did not help. I stopped for 6 months i briefly started again but switched to only gobbet and lunges on advice from others. Got naturally slim legs so i would like to keep and add some muscle on my legs cause frankley they need it. Barbell Squats seem to be a more easy going motion for some over others. Opinion on goblet squats and lunges welcome. I read and hear the support that barbell squat are the best though.

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    back squats can be loaded the highest, so they are superior in that respect.

if you dont wanna do em.. don't
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For you Goblet

I find Goblet help my ROM

There is no better, it depends on your goal...they aren't interchangeable the Goblet hits your quads more than back squat does, it can cause more back pain if you have a weak back but it certainly helps develop core strength and anterior chain
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Agreed, there is no universal "better" form of squat. The only people who must do a particular type of squat are people who compete in that squat. Others can choose based on their preference.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Do whichever squat suits your preferences best and gives you best ROM.

For you, it sounds like goblet squats are better and you enjoy them more, so stick with them.

There's no benefit to an exercise you hate.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

For you, it sounds like goblet squats are better and you enjoy them more, so stick with them.

Agree with the comment on doing the squat that best fits any mobility ROM issues.

Disagree however on the no benefit to an exercise you hate. You will hear many people say they hate cardio or hate "leg day". Obviously these activities are important to overall heath.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Agree with the comment on doing the squat that best fits any mobility ROM issues.

Disagree however on the no benefit to an exercise you hate. You will hear many people say they hate cardio or hate "leg day". Obviously these activities are important to overall heath.

I take "an exercise you hate" to be a single exercise, not an entire group of them.

There are at least a dozen exercises that involve the squatting motion. Pick one or more you like and forget the one you don't.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I'll also tout barbell hack squats. They are a bit awkward at first but I found that I caught on pretty quickly. I do back squats but find them difficult. I do them once a week for the challenge but hack squats are my main quad builder and I do them on both lower body days now.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Back squats and front squats are the best for total leg and body muscle. The others are OK but will not do what squats will. They are also the hardest to master. The are plenty of videos on line that will some you the proper form. I had my hip replaced and didn't feel comfortable doing regular bar squats. So I use one of the machine s at the gym that mimics squats. I have always liked squats and leg day better than the others. You know you have really worked them when you can hardly walk out of the gym.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

You do have a point. I meant that in the context of the discussion where there's an alternative exercise to substitute.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    For you Goblet

There is no better, it depends on your goal...they aren't interchangeable the Goblet hits your quads more than back squat does, it can cause more back pain if you have a weak back but it certainly helps develop core strength and anterior chain

This confuses me too. Can someone please clarify, what is the difference in benefit and muscles worked of front/goblet squat vs back barbell squat. If goblet hits quads, core, back, and anterior chain (Please define), then what else do you need, except possibly hamstrings/glutes? But I definitely can feel those working during a good goblet squat too. Thx.
  • jemhh
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    For you Goblet

This confuses me too. Can someone please clarify, what is the difference in benefit and muscles worked of front/goblet squat vs back barbell squat. If goblet hits quads, core, back, and anterior chain (Please define), then what else do you need, except possibly hamstrings/glutes? But I definitely can feel those working during a good goblet squat too. Thx.

Back squats allow many (not all) people go heavier and hit all of that. That's pretty much it.

I feel like this is a fair write up on choosing not to back squat:

http://romanfitnesssystems.com/articles/done-with-back-squats/
  • LoganKwiat
    LoganKwiat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to choose ? I would incorporate them all into your workouts. Different day , different squat. Or you can use ( for example ) the lungs as a secondary. So do your back squats ( say , 5 sets ) then do some lunges ( maybe 3 sets ) . Front squats are another good one that you will love to hate , lol.

When I started lifting I also hated squats , I probably lifted for close to 10 years before introducing squats as a staple and the best way I found to improve and love squatting is to squat and squat lots. I would squat 3 times a week. My numbers came up big time and fast. Bill Starr has some very good information on squats .
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    For you Goblet

Back squats allow many (not all) people go heavier and hit all of that. That's pretty much it.

I feel like this is a fair write up on choosing not to back squat:

http://romanfitnesssystems.com/articles/done-with-back-squats/

I agree. Barbell back squats are just the easiest to load, making progression straightforward. For example, its much easier to squat ~100lb with a barbell across my back than for me to pick up and hold a 100lb weight at chest level for goblets. Arms will fail long before my legs. Even with front squats, there's a much greater demand on core stabilization, and you typically can't front squat as much as you can back squat (though I'm sure there are people out there who can!).

OP is interested in increasing muscle. So as long as you can progressively increase the resistance with whatever your chosen exercise is, you should be okay.

Just to throw another variation into the mix, you could try zerchers. They're similar to a goblet/front squat in terms of being front loaded and ROM, but don't require as much flexibility as a front squat and also don't have the bar smashing your shoulders. I've never tried hack squats, don't think I have the grip strength for it, but will give it a shot next time.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For you Goblet

They are slightly different. I'll do my best to explain in a general sense.

In a squat where the load is in front (lets talk about the front squat for example) you'll tend to see the following characteristics:

1) A more upright torso/less forward lean of the torso so that the barbell stays over the midfoot.
    2) BECAUSE OF 1) you will tend to see smaller knee angles (MORE knee bend) and larger torso angles (LESS forward pitch)

And so from this you can conclude that a front squat will tend to involve more quadriceps and less posterior chain (you require less hip extension torque and more knee extension torque).

This of course is somewhat relative because another consideration is that people don't tend to use the same loads with both squats. People tend to squat less with front squats likely due to increased demands on thoracic extension and possibly even core strength/etc.

At any rate though, the short answer is that the further the load goes behind you, the more posterior chain you are incorporating into the movement because of the forward lean/torso angle.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

You do have a point. I meant that in the context of the discussion where there's an alternative exercise to substitute.

Totally agree
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Totally agree
  • OrdinaryDude300
    OrdinaryDude300 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Awesome response. Thanks
    Iike many have dont enough time for the many other exercises i should be doing. I certainly dont dedicate enough time to lower body so i tend to gravitate to what i enjoy more and better at. Its a flaw and one i ll need to change.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can load back squats heavier, but there is a lot you can do with goblet squat variations. You can take 2 kettlebells in a rack position and that can be challenging. You can add bands to that for even more work. You can also try other variations such as pause squats and tempo squats as well.