Treadmill Recordbreakers

13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    fitbisi wrote: »
    Hi guys, what is the highest number of calories you burn on a treadmill and within what time frame? My maximum so far is 971 cals in 65mins.

What do you do to burn 965 calories in an hour and five?

Cardio mains are grossly exagerrated. For example, the treadmill renders 250 calories more than my actual burn of 325 for a 40 minute run on the treadmill. If I ate back calories from yhr treadmiĺ, I'd gain weight over time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I can't go much longer than a half hour on a treadmill without wanting to dig my eyeballs out with a rusty fork from the boredom.

Last week I did 2.6 miles in 38:00 (including warmup and cooldown - yeah, I'm a real slow runner) and Garmin said I burned 324 calories, which is real close to the Runner's World formula BrianSharpe mentioned on page 1 (I'm 6'6" and 216 lbs.). I don't remember exactly what the actual treadmill said my calorie burn was (I don't pay much attention because I know it overestimates), but I think it was in the 500-something range.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I weigh 238lbs right now which I guess would almost be about right.

So six miles in that hour?

A decent pace then.

Actually it's like 4.3 miles within the hour and a 6" incline the whole time

Fair enough.

Personally I'd treat that figure with a significant degree of scepticism, and wouldn't recommend replenishing to the full amount. I'd suggest only logging maybe 500 cals for what you're describing. As above, if you eat them all back you're likely undoing any effort to eat in deficit.

I'm very much in the camp of training to optimise your fitness, not to artificially generate a large deficit. I'd suggest focussing on being able to run continuously for 30 minutes, rather than run/ walk for an hour, as a method of improving your aerobic base.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    dmullen75 wrote: »
    I'm using the Polar H7 hrm along with the Polar Beats app and my 45 minute treadmill run tonight calculated at around 750 cals. I was varying my incline but ended up with a 156 bpm average. Sound about right?

How far did you run? How much do you weigh? (There is not a linear relationship between heart rate & caloric expenditure....) 750 cal in 45 minutes sounds optimistic.......

I'm at 203 and did 4 miles at a straight 6mph with a .25 mile cool down. Again the app calculated the calories burned and has my weight in it.

MFP estimates on the high side , at 203 you'd be burning about 128 cal per mile run, 4.25 miles would be about 543 cal. (Runners World's formula is .63 x weight in lbs and distance in miles - my Garmin Forerunner is very close to that)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish Posts: 831 Member
    edited October 2016
    My best was an approx 5 hr hike over hills with a 20lb pack or so, 2000+ ft elevation gain at high point but lots of ups and downs too and approx 15 mi+: approx 3800 cals. Go ahead, try and eat that back and then stay on track afterwards ;)
  • dmullen75
    dmullen75 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm using the Polar H7 hrm along with the Polar Beats app and my 45 minute treadmill run tonight calculated at around 750 cals. I was varying my incline but ended up with a 156 bpm average. Sound about right?

How far did you run? How much do you weigh? (There is not a linear relationship between heart rate & caloric expenditure....) 750 cal in 45 minutes sounds optimistic.......

I'm at 203 and did 4 miles at a straight 6mph with a .25 mile cool down. Again the app calculated the calories burned and has my weight in it.

MFP estimates on the high side , at 203 you'd be burning about 128 cal per mile run, 4.25 miles would be about 543 cal. (Runners World's formula is .63 x weight in lbs and distance in miles - my Garmin Forerunner is very close to that)

That's another formula I'll add to the toolbox for comparison. I never use the MFP or Map My Run estimates because all it sees is the average heart rate. Regardless of what I log for a calorie burn I am usually under the base intake everyday and if I go over it is just by a bit. For me I track my heart rate and calories burned more as a tool to guage my fitness improvement and not as a reason to add more calories to my menu. Thanks!