lift weights?or cardio?

Options
is it best to lift weights when im 248lbs? or jus do cardio? i need to strengthen my knees.. ive got that problem.. im gonna buy a elliptical.. i wanna do in am & pm.. i was wondering if i should join a gym for the lifting but im afraid the scale wont move.. any suggestions?

Replies

• ardysedwardsmcgrath
    ardysedwardsmcgrath Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    so lifting ill still lose? dont pay attention to the scale right? jus how my cloths r fitting.. OK thanks! ;)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    so lifting ill still lose? dont pay attention to the scale right? jus how my cloths r fitting.. OK thanks! ;)

You'll still lose and you'll see it on the scale. If you were closer to your goal weight then you might not see much scale change, but for now if you don't see the scale moving it's a good idea to check to make sure your food diary is accurate.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    ok thanks alot usmcmp! I jus want that scale to move&my body to get smaller.. seems like ive been at a yoyo all summer... in this weight amt.. :(
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In my opinion wieghts are what you should focus on. You have a sense of progression other than looking at a scale. Compound movements will burn more calories than cardio and make you stronger. Cardio is a good supplement to burn a few extra calories. I was 260lbs and dropped to 168 in a year and a bit. Now floating around 185 but that's beside the point. also diet will be the most important factor on your journey.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Definitely both right from the get-go. Lifting will make a huge (positive) impact and it's a great morale boost to keep getting stronger. Cardio for heart health. If you have a time issue, just alternate days.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    both. My "beginner program" Includes strength training, and cardio and stretching/yoga.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    wow betterbuns!Congrats how awesome.. thats great motivation to think bout.. seems like its takin me forever.. &i also never thought of body weights.. every1has help me alot im gonna give it my all...usmcmp i do have a food scale.. jus never have used it. How will i know how much to weigh? &o my 1 lb a week doesn't seem like much.. i have on mine now 2lbs i suppose i could try that & see how it goes.. Slower means what staying off longer?or better? No hanging of fat skin. Ive seen ppl like that b4 lose to fast&then their fat hangs.. ewws.. thanks all for all your help&advice! :)
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You really should do both. For me the fastest results have come from doing high intensity interval training. I do this when I do cardio and when I do strength training. For strength training I started with body weight exercises like push-ups, planks and the like. I've only just started incorporating free weights, 5 weeks into the process. I've seen my body change quite a bit. My clothes are looser and my strength and balance have increased. The scale is moving in the right direction but ever so slowly. I'm okay with that because I can see the other changes.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No strength training doesn't burn more calories than moderate cardio let alone intense cardio - but just like cardio the calorie burn isn't the best reason for doing it.

Do both for overall health, fitness, strength and body composition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Both...as a matter of general fitness, cardiovascular exercise and resistance training of some sort are both important.
  • lcbachman1
    lcbachman1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns more than fat. I have lost 81 pounds doing a combination of both cardio and weight training. There are people who say to not weight train until you have reached goal weight ( as in my sister) for weight watchers. Any weight gain , even muscle, she looks at not "good weight". I have less loose skin and more muscle definition. I have 30 lbs to go.
  • PhilHarrison1
    PhilHarrison1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Listen to your knees.

If cardio hurts try a recumbent bike for the cardio. If the knees hurt while lifting, use the machines. They will protect your knees because they isolate the muscle groups. Avoid the leg press, leg curl, or leg extensions until your doctor clears you. If it is the weight that is causing the pain, he/she may approve it. If it isn't and you have damage in the knees, they may be banned. Look for exercises both weight and cardio that takes the stress off the knees for now. And do see your doctor.

Weight training will build muscle which does help burn weight. However, gaining muscle while you are burning fat may make it look like you aren't losing as much. You are. Remember the size of a pound of steak [muscle] vs a pound of lard [fat], Your size will change. That's why it is recommended you take measurements and place less attention on the scale.

Cardio helps burn the fat. It is suggested if you do them both on the same day that you do Cardio AFTER the weights because studies show that the weight workout starts the burning and enhances the cardio while doing cardio first doesn't add a thing. [I'm sure there will be a study later saying it doesn't matter but that's how it goes...]

My best results is when I do HIIT on the bike, however, it is the recumbent to protect my knees. They are basically shot due to my former job [I should have let the inmates escape...] The catch with HIIT is you have to be in good shape to tolerate it. You are going to stress your heart and entire body if you do it properly. Do not try it without the doctor's permission and maybe a stress test. I will also say doing cardio even in the Navy never had results like the HIIT does for me. However it may not be the same for every person. As I said, it works for me and it really works because Cardio bores me to death. With HIIT, I don't get a chance to get bored before I'm done.
  • LoganKwiat
    LoganKwiat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd say walking and light weights along with proper nutrition and you will be where you want to be in no time.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    is it best to lift weights when im 248lbs? or jus do cardio? i need to strengthen my knees.. ive got that problem.. im gonna buy a elliptical.. i wanna do in am & pm.. i was wondering if i should join a gym for the lifting but im afraid the scale wont move.. any suggestions?

If your goal is to strengthen your knees, I would lift weights. If you are experiencing pain in your knees, I would also eat in a deficit to lose weight as this helps many people as well.

If you are eating in a deficit, you WILL lose weight. Lifting or cardio has no bearing on weight loss on their own.
  • ardysedwardsmcgrath
    Options
    alot of different ideas thanks! :)
    Whats HIIT?
    IVE GOT ONE BAD LEG that doesn't like to bend so ive got alot of troubles going up&especially down steps.. biking&elliptcal seem to help.. i ve also got troubles gettin out of a chair or bed.. &im sure its all this weight ive gotten.. seems like a slow progress to get smaller&healthier.. i get impatient at times.. lol..
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    alot of different ideas thanks! :)
    Whats HIIT?
    IVE GOT ONE BAD LEG that doesn't like to bend so ive got alot of troubles going up&especially down steps.. biking&elliptcal seem to help.. i ve also got troubles gettin out of a chair or bed.. &im sure its all this weight ive gotten.. seems like a slow progress to get smaller&healthier.. i get impatient at times.. lol..

Me too, it takes me half to a full hour just to get out of bed and walk every morning...it can be done if you keep in a deficit regardless. That is how I got down to a 12% body fat at age 47. Just do right, and what your body as lows ypu today & worry about tomorrow when it comes.