how often do you weigh yourself

Options
can you tell me how often you weigh yourself or do you just not bother as it can be really discouraging. I was feeling great this morning and felt like I had lost another pound or 2. Then I get on the scale and find out I gained 2 pounds. How is that possible when I have been so good at tracking my food and working out every day......ugh

Replies

• DiarrahW
    DiarrahW Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. i recently put my scale in my closet and I am going to weight myself in about 2 weeks. I get on every morning and if I see some results i feel like I can eat a little more which probably gets me off track then i weigh more in a few days.....
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh once a week. Maybe the weight gain is muscle?
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I know what you mean. I weigh in everyday. This morning I was up. I havent lost in a few weeks and for 7 months ive lost about 2 pounds each week. It is discouraging and Im not sure what to do to make the scale move again.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I've used the restroom...it gets me motivated and going for the day:drinker:
  • littlewords
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I have to, otherwise, my weight gets away from me VERY quickly. When I get on the scale and see that I've gained two pounds, sure it feels a bit discouraging, especially if I feel like I did everything "right". But it also motivates me to figure out what isn't working and to change it, and have a better day today. Or tomorrow. Or whenever.

It's also VERY encouraging when you get on it and see what you've lost! That's been my experience in the last 3-4 weeks after months of gaining back whatever I'd lost all the time.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I measure my inches once a month and that really helps because I've seen a great difference.. I've only lost 9lbs in 3 months but have lost almost 10inches! There is always the possibility of gaining muscle so you may not see a significant weight loss.. Goodluck!
  • morganginga
    morganginga Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to not weigh myself. Right now I'm weighing myself to participate in the Lose 5+ pounds in July group, so once a week. I'd say that if you are weighing yourself then you should also check your measurements. I would think you are eating right and working out then you are likely gaining muscle and losing fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat it may show as a net gain. I prefer to pay more attention to the NSV's (no scale victories) like how my clothes are fitting (pants aren't as tight as they used to be). Don't be discouraged by the scale. It can become addictive to weigh yourself, but keep in mind your weight can fluctuate up to 2 pounds within a day. If you have eaten more salt in a recent meal you'll retain water and it will show up on the scale. Lots of things it could be.
  • Janiece65
    Janiece65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One technique that might help is to weigh yourself every day, and then average the values for your weekly weigh-in. This helps to smooth out the high water-retention days, as well as those days when you inexplicably lose three pounds overnight.
  • meeshelly01
    Options
    I keep a log of what time the weigh in is, date, Body fat %, and any notes...like over calories yesterday or just woke up, just excercised...My weight fluctuates based on time of day and by keeping a log with notes I can compare more realistically. Don't be discouraged! keep at it, my weight went up by 2 lbs then back down the next week...cuz I stuck to it=)
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    I weight meself everyday!
    I know that I shouldn't but can't help myself...I'm a scale junkie
    I record it once a week but still it can change soo often...I try to do it the same
    time but that doesn't always help...even having too much salt...monthly friend...not enough water
    it always changes...good luck...
    I know when I'm not doing well I find myself working harder the next week
    remember it's only a number!
  • MissYatta
    MissYatta Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on weighing myself every Sunday. This is so that I can make sure that I am doing everything possible (within healthy standards) to lose my 2 pounds weekly. If I see results then I will continue the same route. If not then I will alter my workout schedule or my caloric intake. I have all my weigh in dates written down and I have planned 30 weeks to get atleast half way to my goal of losing 123 lbs.
  • skyblue1
    skyblue1 Posts: 1
    Options
    You should only weigh in once a week. Be sure to do it at the same time each week. Your weight changes during the day, you could be bloated from working out and drinking alot of water.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate drastically day to day due to water weight. If you are consuming a lot of sodium and not drinking enough water your body is going to hold on to as much water as it can.

I am a scale addict. At one point I got rid of my scale and I was only allowed to weigh myself if I went to the gym.
    This got frustrating because I wasn't always able to weigh myself at the same time every time.

So I gave in a bought a bathroom scale and the daily weigh ins started again. I've learned enough now that the fluctuations don't bother me as much but knowing that I truly am a scale addicted I took it upon myself to have a no scale week. I am currently on day 4 and i'm going a little crazy. Lol.

Maybe you need a no scale week and then throughout the week try to keep your sodium in check and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    Don't get too focused on the number on the scale. Water weight, bulked muscles from exercise, menstrual cycles and all sorts of mysterious factors can cause weight fluctuation. As long as the trend is downward over time, you are doing fine. Take your body measurements and check those periodically. I gained a couple of pounds on vacation, but lost an inch on my waistline and a half inch on my hips! Those two pounds seemed pretty insignificant then.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Once every month to 6 weeks.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I think I've figured out why those little gains happen. Here's my list (still being compiled, feel free to add yours):
    1. That time of the month.
    2. Before that time of the month.
    3. After that time of the month.
    4. Extra salt/sodium consumption.
    5. Lack of water (8 glasses likely isn't enough btw).
    6. Lack of calories (sending you into conservation/starvation mode).
    7. Lack of sleep.
    8. Side effects from necessary drugs.
    9. Physical injury (like that blister on my heel).
    10. Physical stress (not injury exactly... like over-exercise).
    11. Emotional stress (like dealing with your berserk neighbour/sister/friend).

When I look at that list, I realize that everything makes you gain weight when you shouldn't, but at least I can say it mostly looks like water retention to me.

You need enough food, water, sleep and exercise and you need to avoid salt and stress, physical and emotional, to the extent that you are able. Hooray for the moderation game :drinker:

Also, and just throwing this out there, I'm sitting on a plateau that's driving me crazy, so I totally sympathize.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Every morning after I've used the restroom...it gets me motivated and going for the day:drinker:

I do the same! It's helpful, and it keeps me on track. I even write the number (regardless of what it is) on my calendar. I count SUNDAY as my official weigh-in day. Because any flucuation of weight day to day could be caused by fecal matter, water retention etc.

Just keep up the good work, and the positive attitude, and you'll get to your goal in no time!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week..on Mondays..because then it holds me accountable to diet and exercise on the weekend--a time when I know a lot of folks tend to slide backwards in their habits. It has worked for me so far.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. Usually Friday mornings. I wouldn't worry about those 2 pounds. It's probably water retention. I'd focus more on the long term instead of the week to week. If the trend is downward, then you're fine. I agree with taking your measurements about once a month. That's a really good way to measure your success over time.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to see where I am, and if I need to extend my workouts to meet my goals. I only log on Sundays!