Trash the scale and get a new tape measure!

Options
From all of the feedback I'm seeing - - it seems that I should trash my scale and get a new tape measure.

I'm new to MFP and concerned about my calorie intake. I so unsure of what I should be eating and whether I should be eating more than the suggested 1,200 calories or less. Of course the scale hasn't moved so far but it's still early I guess. I want to make the right adjustments as early as possible so that I am able to get the most out of MFP and my weight loss. Any advice ??

Replies

• bigfatkelly
    Options
    Well I think your right about getting rid of the scales, the problem with being fixated with your weight is that if you are exercising and building muscle, your weight won’t go down but you will lose inches, as muscle weighs more than fat!! In the past I’ve gone down a whole clothes size but not lost a pound on the scales.

As for diet, for a healthy balance main meals should consist of a fist size portion of carbs and the same of protein with as much green stuff as you like!! I don’t think that eating less calories than the 1200 is a bad thing as long as you eat plenty of protein and carbs. And the best advise I ever got was to make sure not to eat past 6pm.
  • scattymum1
    scattymum1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have actually ditched the scales for the moment as I was obsessed with them, weighing in several times a day!! My hubby set me a challenge when he went away for 10 days and hid them..the first few days were really hard for me. Bit I'm due to have them back Thurs am....and i don't want them now! I feel so much better, clothes getting a little looser but I know that if the scales don't show a loss my attitude will change and think " what the point"!
  • ceeshelman
    ceeshelman Posts: 77
    Options
    Welcome, I agree with Kelly. I don't have a scale. If you want to see progress, watch your clothes get loose, baggy and start to fall off. Nothing feels better than to start looking bagging in your jeans.

As for food, Kelly's advice about the fist of carb and the fist of protein at each meal works. Just remember that you MUST have some fat in your diet too. Fat is not the enemy. Too much food is. :ohwell: Friend me if you want. Ce
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wish I could take my own advice. Start off right. Ditch the scale and get a new good tape measure. The best way to track results. The scale WILL depress you.
  • bigfatkelly
    Options
    And don’t forget that at certain times of the month your body will retain liquid and if your obsessively weighing your self you will be heavier during these times even if you have lost body fat, so if your going to do a weigh in it’s best to be done just once a month around the same time. I weighed in a few weeks ago, I haven’t done it since but am happy to report that my clothes are getting looser!! And due to a good exercise program my shape is changing and that makes me happy!! I don’t care about what the scales say now!!
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I first took my measurements in the beginning of May and they have NOT changed! What am I doing wrong?
  • keepinup
    keepinup Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how I gained 1.5 lbs overnight!!! It's disappointing-- this is my first week, but I've been doing cardio twice a day and trying to stick to a reasonable diet... any advice??
  • kdwalker01
    Options
    This is all great advice. I will certainly be mindful of all advice given. Thanks for your support.
  • bigfatkelly
    Options
    Cardio twice a day sounds like quite a lot keepinup, it’s important to give your body a couple of rest days each week, after doing cardio your body will continue to burn calories for up to 24hours afterwards and with that level of exercise you may not be eating enough try supplementing your diet with a good protein shake made with water. A few years ago I was training in a gym and asked one of the instructor why I was not loosing any weight even though I was exercising daily they advised me to take a protein shake twice a day as well as three healthy meals and sure enough I started loosing weight again.

donnaeve8 are you doing any kind of cardio or exercise? or just sticking to a healthy diet??
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Just a word about taping measures... you have to be really careful about how consistant you are with measuring. There is a lot of room for "user error" if you measure half an inch higher or lower than last time. I would be compelled to make a mark with permanant marker or something equally as rediculous. lol
  • kdwalker01
    Options
    Good point