High Protein low fat snacks?

Options
REB89
REB89 Posts: 493 Member
I could really use some ideas for snacks (or foods) that are high in protein but relatively low in fat. The meal side isnt so bad as i can eat fish or meat but i'm really stuggling to find high protein low calorie snacks! Any suggestions? :smile:

Replies

• REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I could really use some ideas for snacks (or foods) that are high in protein but relatively low in fat. The meal side isnt so bad as i can eat fish or meat but i'm really stuggling to find high protein low calorie snacks! Any suggestions? :smile:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs (whites if you want to cut fat/cal)

My husband does a lot of cottage cheese, but I don' t like the texture. I blend it up with orange juice (1/4 maybe?), any flavor of yogurt and add some ice for a smoothie.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    These are the snacks I eat during the day. I always make sure to have a carb and protein together so I choose one from each group.

Carbs
    Baby Carrots, Celery, Oranges, Apples, Ry Krisp Crackers, bannana, grapes, Low-fat Hummus, lettuce leaves (great for wrapping around a low-fat cheese slice or deli meat slice), Cucumber slices

Protein,
    Light String Cheese, Almond Butter, Almonds, Laughing Cow lite cheese spread, low-fat deli meats, low-fat cheese slices

I'm also a big fan of the South Beach Diet High protein cereal bars 140 cals and 10g of protein.
  • weissjoel82
    weissjoel82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I have alot of trouble getting my protein up too, I guess I could eat 20 hardboiled egg whites, or 3-4 chicken breasts, but I agree, its hard to keep the fats and sugars down if I eat my protein in a meal. I feel like I need to eat hardboiled eggs, brown rice, chicken breast and one apple a day to get the right balance.

....If you don't eat meat, it seems very hard to get the numbers right, as about 25% of your calories are required to come from protein.

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you, I have the same dilemma. Perhaps try to cut out foods that have wacky macronutrient values, such as high sugar, high fat foods. Then, it makes you consume healthier ones, small snacks will definitely require preplanning, as it seems they almost certainly require meat.