What kind of exercises?

Options
What are the best exercises to burn the most calories in the least amount of time. I have a goal of about 600 cal, but I have two kids, I can't just workout all day! Any suggestions?

Replies

• Catiec76
    Catiec76 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would like some suggestions too. This losing weight and getting into shape is getting very time consuming.
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Find a pool, get in it and keep moving. That's the best calorie burn I've found, and it's fun and a great way to keep cool. The kids will enjoy it too.
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    Find a pool, get in it and keep moving. That's the best calorie burn I've found, and it's fun and a great way to keep cool. The kids will enjoy it too.
    That is a very good idea! I find the elliptical does it for me, but doesn't have the added benefit of entertaining the kids.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level there are some workout DVD's that can get you to burn a lot of calories in a relatively short period of time.

The exercises that will have you loosing more calories in the shortest time are normally those that involve the larger muscle groups.

Swimming
    Rowing
    Running
    Cycling

You can also try cardio boxing, it's quite cool and can burn a lot of calories too.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I like to do group dance (jazzercise) and then you've got to go FULL intensity! I can burn at least 600 calories when I'm going all in.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is great for burning a lot of calories in a short amount of time and is not hard on your knees!! Plus you can go as fast or slow as you can and challenge yourself with different levels.... Good luck and best wishes! :)
  • LizToner
    LizToner Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you! I am starting to feel like being healthier, is a full time job! I won't eat anything until I see my calorie intake for the day, I plan everything around my exercises! I'm exhausted! The only good thing is, the kids love to play the dance game on the xbox with me, they dance behind me, like backup dancers! lol. I appreciate all of the suggestions!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you have the xbox with Kinect may I suggest to you your shape fitness evolved. You have a series of different workouts there and it will show you a approximate value of the calories you've burned.
    The cardio boxing workouts there are excellent, it will get you sweating for sure.
  • Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The pool is a great idea! Can't wait until my kids are older so I can swim while they play.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Tennis is good, we have a park beside our court so our kids play there while we play tennis.. Swimming a good option, also I enjoy Zumba I can burn a lot of cals because I love dancing..
  • craig1768
    craig1768 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI.

Chalean Extreme (beach body) is about 30 to 50 minutes 5 days a week. Its right in that calorie range, can be done at home, low impact, and requires little investment (weights/discs) upfront. Its a great routine for beginners and a good routine for maintenance (for those who are already there).

I ended up doing this over the summer (instead of 90x) because I wanted two days of my life back and some time back in my day to day. Now the off days are optional exercise days, so when I am busy... I don't feel guilty... when I am not, its free cycling and running days (or 'insert fun exercise here')
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Double up - meaning, if you walk/run do it while carrying weights. Also, if you do find a pool find some water weights. Engaging lower and upper will also engage your core and will almost double your calorie burn.

Also, you mention you have kids....put on soem music and dance with them. Carry them, do some tricks. They will have a blast "playing" with mom while you burn massive calories. :) My kids love to dance with me. We try to do it 2-3x per week.