Gaining weight?? Roadblocks

Options
What could be some other reasons I'm having so much trouble gaining?? I had my thyroid tested and it was fine. I've gain a few lbs before I know I CAN gain weight. But why am I having so much trouble?? I also know I haven't be eating enough (some days I eat a little and some a lot depending on how I'm feeling), but there's gotta be something else. Something isn't right

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Were you previously fat? It could be mental: http://jcdfitness.com/2009/10/the-former-fat-boy-syndrome/
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating a surplus of calories then you won't gain weight and you've said that you don't always eat enough. Maybe you're more active than you realise?
  • gonzo2203
    gonzo2203 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here... my calorie intake supposed to be set for 2660 however I'm so active And my job is strenuous that i have to add another 1000.. when I'm already struggling to add the 2600.. when you find out let me know. I started taking that CB1 weight gainer to increase my appetite.. we shall see how that goes..
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    The days you are having trouble eating may be what is not helping you. You need to eat more everyday!!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Is your weekly average calories in a surplus?
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    keziatk wrote: »
    What could be some other reasons I'm having so much trouble gaining?? I had my thyroid tested and it was fine. I've gain a few lbs before I know I CAN gain weight. But why am I having so much trouble?? I also know I haven't be eating enough (some days I eat a little and some a lot depending on how I'm feeling), but there's gotta be something else. Something isn't right

There doesn't have to be anything else. You're having trouble gaining because you haven't been eating enough.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As others above have mentioned - the most likely cause is not eating enough.

I've noticed that the people who tend to have this problem tend to have a set of foods which they consider "healthy" and try to stick to. This can often mean that to hit a calorific target they need to eat massive volumes of food.

With my own weight gain I had to drop this perception that certain foods were healthy and other unhealthy so that I could eat more calorie dense foods - then I saw the weight gain I wanted.

Something to think about.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    As others above have mentioned - the most likely cause is not eating enough.

I've noticed that the people who tend to have this problem tend to have a set of foods which they consider "healthy" and try to stick to. This can often mean that to hit a calorific target they need to eat massive volumes of food.

With my own weight gain I had to drop this perception that certain foods were healthy and other unhealthy so that I could eat more calorie dense foods - then I saw the weight gain I wanted.

Something to think about.

I have had to drop this perception too,also the thing that was drummed into me as a child - that I had to avoid snacking and stick to 3 big meals a day. With a small appetite, I'm better off eating 5 or 6 smaller meals.
    I also found I was overestimating the calorific value of what I was eating - tracking it on mfp is more accurate (and checking packets etc as some database entries are incorrect )