Cheat Meals/Days - Necessity or Disaster?

Options
So here I am - Week one of my diet complete!

I've come to the end of my first week (7 days) of dieting while regularly exercising and have had quite a successful week - i've lost 3lbs Yippeee!

I'm not sure whether i'm the only person who does this, but previously to now, dieting for a week meant eating well for 5 days, cheat meal on Friday evening which triggered a weekend of cheat meals, back on the horse on Monday morning; sure i'd lose weight, maybe 1lbs, but it always left me wondering, how much weight would I have lost if I hadn't eaten that fourth krispy kreme?

This time its different for me (I hope) I've completely avoided having a cheat day this week as this triggers me into a landslide of all things delicious and unhealthy and I simply cant resist.

I think for at least the first few weeks i'll have to stay away while I get my diet under control, then slowly introduce those delicious foods that landed me here in the first place - I enjoy food and want a healthy relationship with it.

I think that having a cheat meal once a week is good way to approach dieting, its all about moderation right? but at the moment the lines are blurred between moderation and over indulgence.

What works for you? do you have a cheat meal/day every week? every two weeks.

PS: i'm aiming for a healthy 2lb loss per week. 20lbs before Christmas, wish me look :smile:

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    You can't cheat on food. It's just food. Work treats into your daily calories.
  • LukeAdrianBoardman
    Options
    ok so the general consensus is no.. I had meant to keep the post upbeat and positive.

I think having a treat every once in a while is what makes us human, and allows us to lead a healthy, balanced life.

moderation is key.
  • siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Cheating is a cop out. If you want to make a change, make a change. Don't screw around and say, "I'm going to commit, except for this time and this time." THAT isn't going to fix your relationship with food. Find a way to budget in that piece of cake if you feel like you need to have it and hold yourself accountable when you mess up. Don't just be all, "Whoops! I cheated and it's fine. These calories don't count."

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it. If you're training, and focusing on the macros, calories, and trying to adhere to a strict daily meal plan with things like prep meals. Then yes go out and have a nice meal somewhere once a week, or every 2 weeks. BUT first last at least 30 days without any cheat meals. I believe you need to learn self control, or you'll keep making excuses for why you deserve a meal out, or a snack, and next thing you know you've gained it all back.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have maintenance days every now and then. I can't fit certain foods in the amounts i want into my deficit.
  • dmsx3
    dmsx3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sort of but I don't call it a cheat day. I eat pretty structured Monday-Saturday so I give myself a break on Sundays. I don't go crazy eating but I let myself relax on logging a bit and eat a bit more spontaneously than the other 6 days of the week. If I have a mid-week craving, I fit it into my meal structure during the week if I can but sometimes I fit it in on Sundays. It works for me. Almost down 20 lbs in 90 days of logging.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you see it as cheat meals/days, you're not ready and it'll be a disaster.

On the other hands, 2-3 days a week I eat freely and it's not an issue. Couple things you should know: they are all accounted and I no longer have the disordered eating behavior found with obese people.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat food I like every day and fit it in my calorie goal so there is really nothing to cheat from. Sometimes I eat at maintenance calorie level. I log food every day. I've had the best success doing it this way. It isn't a diet or lifestyle change just eating appropriate portion sizes so it is very sustainable long term.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    So here I am - Week one of my diet complete!

I've come to the end of my first week (7 days) of dieting while regularly exercising and have had quite a successful week - i've lost 3lbs Yippeee!

I'm not sure whether i'm the only person who does this, but previously to now, dieting for a week meant eating well for 5 days, cheat meal on Friday evening which triggered a weekend of cheat meals, back on the horse on Monday morning; sure i'd lose weight, maybe 1lbs, but it always left me wondering, how much weight would I have lost if I hadn't eaten that fourth krispy kreme?

This time its different for me (I hope) I've completely avoided having a cheat day this week as this triggers me into a landslide of all things delicious and unhealthy and I simply cant resist.

I think for at least the first few weeks i'll have to stay away while I get my diet under control, then slowly introduce those delicious foods that landed me here in the first place - I enjoy food and want a healthy relationship with it.

I think that having a cheat meal once a week is good way to approach dieting, its all about moderation right? but at the moment the lines are blurred between moderation and over indulgence.

What works for you? do you have a cheat meal/day every week? every two weeks.

PS: i'm aiming for a healthy 2lb loss per week. 20lbs before Christmas, wish me look :smile:

First of all, let's not refer to this journey as "dieting". It needs to be lifestyle change - just change the way you live the rest of your life.

Secondly, cheating is never right in any area of life, so it can't be a good idea to plan to cheat.

The principle behind MFP is calorie deficit, based on Calories In, and Calories Out. If you can moderate the amount of Calories In without depriving yourself of all the things you like, then you're on the right track. Also if you exceed the amount of calories MFP recommends for you based on the info you entered at the beginning, then you need to increase the Calories Out by way of exercise.

So, happy logging, and watch those numbers. That's all there is to it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Neither for me. Completely 100% not necessary.