Do you log your lifting?

Options
I log my exercises by pulling them from fitnotes but I've noticed people adding "strength training". How in the world do you estimate your calories lost? Anyone using this function?

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I log using a HRM. I know, I know. Cue the comments. It's been working for me, and even if the calorie count isn't right, it still gives me some idea of how hard I worked. I eat them all back, and have had no issues with losing the weight and BF I wanted to lose.

That's all anecdotal. A large number of people here will either tell you to (A) just let MFP make the estimate for you, or (B) don't log anything for strength training.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't log it because I'm lazy ;-) I do have a tracking book I take to the gym though...
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @octopusplum
    I learned that calories burned lifting weights are negligible.
    I use an old fashioned notebook and pen to track my exercises, not for the calories.
    I track exercise, 1RM load, sets and reps. This helps me to decide when to upload and deload.
    Many people at the gym, keep track with pen and paper.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are talking about logging it on MFP? Yes, when using the MFP calorie goal I did log strength training. It is calculated on minutes.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    nah
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been been logging my workout for years. I tried logging it here but it doesn't give me the choice of logging each lift and every rep like I can in a book.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Under cardio dairy - "strength training". Logged as the total duration for a very rough estimate based on body weight and METS.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I log it in by using my fitness tracker Watch
  • octopusplum
    octopusplum Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies! I really love Fitnotes since it helps me graph all my progress but I think logging total time on MFP will be super helpful.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't log my lifting at all. Too easy to want to eat the calories back.

I figure the extra calories burned during lifting, not counted, is just bonus deficit.

I don't really care what my exact deficit is every day, or for a whole week. It's better for me if I just focus on consistency. I just try and hit the sedentary calorie goal every day.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I don't log it for the calories... I keep track of my lifts with a notebook at the gym though.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I do not log it in MFP, but I have the SL 5x5 app that tells me what I've done and what I'm doing next. Before I started this program, I would just log everything in the notes on my phone so I could see my progress.
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't specifically eat back exercise calories; rather, I try to make my calorie goal inclusive of my weekly activity (since I am consistently at the gym 6 days a week, split between heavy lifting and bootcamp/dance classes). If I am not losing, i need to tighten up my logging or move my calorie goal down, keeping in mind to eat entough to be fueled and energized - on an extra heavy workout day, I might go over my goal a bit.

I do like to track the time I exercise so I log the cardio exercise or create my own (e.g. FHC Powerlifting Homework), and only list 1 calorie for those, so I don't get tempted to eat more than I need.

Lifting/workout specifics - I keep track of by hand in a notebook for now!

Recently got a Fitbit and so far just ignore most calorie adjustments from it, unless it's a full-day hike or something.
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I log my exercises by pulling them from fitnotes but I've noticed people adding "strength training". How in the world do you estimate your calories lost? Anyone using this function?

I wear a polar heart rate monitor.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I add 700 cals a week to my maintenance to cover lifting x3 a week otherwise I start to lose.

My routine I log in a book. Tried the Jefit app but wasn't consistent- I should give it another go as I am about to start a new cycle.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I use a notebook. As for calories? My Fitbit has a weightlifting setting, but I usually don't bother. It ends up recording me as having taken a walk since I tend to walk around between sets. I don't usually eat back all of those calories, though.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I use the Jefit app to track my lifts.
    On MFP I just factor it into my activity level and don't log any exercise (unless I do something completely out of the normal).
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I log using my HRM as well. Our warmups are pretty intense circuits that last 10-20 minutes - lots of running, box jumps, etc., before we start slinging around the heavy stuff. I eat to macros, and call it good. In the last 6 weeks, I've lost 4% body fat and gained 2% lean mass, so I say - do what works for you.