NSV!

Options
I have been tryin got lose weight for an entire year now, and I haven't had much success on the scale at all... Actually no success on the scale. I actually gained a little bit of weight, but I had lost inches. I was a competitive swimmer for 9 years, and when I went to college, I stopped swimming. I never realized how much muscle I actually had until I lost all of it. My first year of college I actually didn't gain any weight, but in my second year, I took on a stressful job, and started packing on the pounds. During the fall semester of my Junior year, I was going to the gym and doing an hour of cardio 5-6 days a week, but I didn't lose any pounds. It was very frustrating; however, I wasn't watching what I ate. In February of 2011, I started Chalene extreme, and I still didn't lose any pounds, but I still wasn't watching what I ate. Still, I lost inches, and muscle started poking out.

Since starting MFP 2 weeks ago, I haven't yet stepped on the scale. I think I am still afraid that it won't have moved at all. However, I have kept up with my measurements, and I have lost 7 inches overall in the last 2 weeks! I know what I have been eating, so I know that mathematically, I should have lost weight, and I know that my old size 10 jeans fit me better than they did when I bought them (I have been wearing 12-14s for the past year). Also, my waist is smaller, and I have a 4-pack of abs showing through my layer of fat on my tummy.

What I realized is that, even though I didn't lose weight in the past year - I was building up a foundation of muscle that I had lost, and now, through watching my diet, I am beginning to see that muscle show through! Here's to sticking to it - no matter the results and not giving up on ourselves!

These are my measurements from a year ago, and my measurements from this morning.

One year ago:
Bust: 42"
Waist: 33"
Hips: 43"
Right Thigh: 25"
Left Thigh: 25"
Right Arm: 13.5"
Left Arm: 13.5"

Today:
Bust: 39"
Waist: 30"
Hips: 40"
Right Thigh: 21"
Left Thigh: 21"
Right Arm: 12"
Left Arm: 12"

That's 19" overall!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Future_vision7
    Options
    Great progress well done!

:drinker:
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thats fantastic, feels good, remember that feeling when you are down. youve came along way, dont look back. go for it!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i couldnt agree with this post more! i have lost next to 0 real pounds on the scale and sometime feel discouraged about that...

but i know i can run farther, faster, and my clothes fit better. so i hold on to that because that's what's truly important.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Your starting measurements are very similar to mine, except for the waist. That's fantastic that you have lost so many inches :)

edited to ask: what is NSV? :embarassed:
  • fergalizcious
    Options
    edited to ask: what is NSV? :embarassed:

NSV is a Non-Scale Victory. Don't worry, It took me forever to figure out what it was.
  • fergalizcious
    Options
    i couldnt agree with this post more! i have lost next to 0 real pounds on the scale and sometime feel discouraged about that...

but i know i can run farther, faster, and my clothes fit better. so i hold on to that because that's what's truly important.

I agree, the important thing is being in better shape and losing inches. I think everyone's body reacts differently to the changes we make, and it just takes more time for that to show on the scale for some people. Keep at it!
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    congrats!

i wish i could remember to take measurements..
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Someone once told me that it is not the number on the scale that matters, it is the measurments that matter. This person is my doctor. The scale can be an evil thing!!! I think we get so predetermined on what we should weigh that we forget that the number does not truly tell us how fit we are. If a person is physically fit; active and eating (for the most part) healthy then they doing something postive for their bodies; eventually this will show, but more so in measurements then in loss in numbers on the scale. The number on the scale means little. Because a healthy physically active adult could weigh more due to muscle mass. Measurements (for me at least) seem to be a better calculation of fat loss then the scale!
    If you are seeing differences in your measurments then you are doing something right. Keep up the dedication and hard work! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!