Lost 30 pounds, but wanted to lose more so all I see is how much is left to lose

Options
Hi,

I'd really like to know if other people have felt this way, and what you did about it!

My story is, in a nutshell, I've been heavy almost all of my life. I hovered around 192 for a decade, then ballooned up to 205 when I hit perimenopause. I'm 50. Between June and September, I lost 30 pounds. It wasn't easy, I have medical supervision, but I finally managed to lose something.

But now, I'm stuck at 175. I feel like this is where my body wants to hang out at, at least for awhile, and I'm bummed because I wanted to get to at least 160. I can't simply be happy with my already huge weight loss. I feel pressure and stress because I didn't make it to 160. I'd really like to just be happy with what I've lost so far, maybe go into maintenance til early next year, then start being stricter again.

I'm going to talk to my dietician on Wednesday about all this. She's awesome and I'm sure she'll have good input. But, anyone else feel like this? Like losing a lot but not as much as you wanted wasn't enough?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5 feet tall, so 175 is still way too much.
  • mgbcan2
    mgbcan2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im on the same boat feel free to add me your an inspiration.
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Doggerland, I am 4'11". I have a smaller weight loss goal, but feel free to add me!
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes I also feel this way and all I can say is that we will get there! Pat yourself on the back for coming so far already and try to take comfort in the fact that if you could do 30, you can do more. It's good that you are talking to a professional so she can help come up with a diet plan. You may need to tweak your macros a bit or switch up your workout routine to shock your body out of its comfort zone.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Do you have a picture of yourself before you lost your 30lbs?
    Put the same clothes on and take another picture. You will be pleased with the progress you have made.

Also if you are not taking monthly pics in your undies, swimsuit, or workout clothes, start doing so. Sometimes it is the only way we can see how we have changed. I always advise this because I so wish I had.

It is so hard to be happy when we still have a way to go, so be happy that things are moving in the right direction.

Having a break over the holidays is not a bad idea at all. You will be able to get back to losing with a new sense of purpose.

Work out your maintenance calories on MFP and try to keep logging. If you feel you need a break from logging too, log and weigh your food for the next couple of weeks so you really have a good idea of your portion sizes. Then take the break.

I'm just 5'1 so I know how hard it can be sometimes. Oh and I lost during menopause, don't let it be an excuse.

Cheers, h.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Maintaining at a new weight for a while is a great skill too, so give yourself props for that! My dietician and I discussed this. Don't settle there for too long, but ok to maintain the loss briefly too. I have a long way to go too (more than you), also 30# gone. Hang in there, you can get to your goal!!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    Options
    Maintaining at a new weight for a while is a great skill too, so give yourself props for that! My dietician and I discussed this. Don't settle there for too long, but ok to maintain the loss briefly too. I have a long way to go too (more than you), also 30# gone. Hang in there, you can get to your goal!!

Thanks for your reply! I'm disappointed that I won't have lost any weight when I see my dietician Wednesday, but I'm looking forward to sorting out what to do. I've maintained, but not with any real plan. More, a few days on plan, a day off, a few on... etc...

Good job with 30 pounds off. Yes. We can both get to our goals.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    Options
    Do you have a picture of yourself before you lost your 30lbs?
    Put the same clothes on and take another picture. You will be pleased with the progress you have made.

Also if you are not taking monthly pics in your undies, swimsuit, or workout clothes, start doing so. Sometimes it is the only way we can see how we have changed. I always advise this because I so wish I had.

It is so hard to be happy when we still have a way to go, so be happy that things are moving in the right direction.

Having a break over the holidays is not a bad idea at all. You will be able to get back to losing with a new sense of purpose.

Work out your maintenance calories on MFP and try to keep logging. If you feel you need a break from logging too, log and weigh your food for the next couple of weeks so you really have a good idea of your portion sizes. Then take the break.

I'm just 5'1 so I know how hard it can be sometimes. Oh and I lost during menopause, don't let it be an excuse.

Cheers, h.

Oh you know, I do have a pair of shorts I kept because right before I started losing weight, I could barely button them. Time to try them on again. And I'll start taking pictures, too.

You hit on something with your phrase "new sense of purpose". That's what I need to get back. I can do it though. I have support at home, and these forums are super helpful, too.

I'm happy to hear you lost during menopause! I packed on so much weight so fast last year, I'm at least thrilled to get that off and then some.

Thanks for your reply!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I packed on 30 lbs just before menopause without even realizing. It wasn't menopause though; it was buying a car and getting lazy.

I nearly cried when I saw a photo of myself. I also started counting calories and doing purposeful exercise for the first time in my life that very same week.
    It took a year but the weight came off, slowly at times, eventually.
    (There is a before and after pic in my profile with the offending pic :))

That was 7 years ago. I have maintained the loss and gone from strength to strength with the exercise. Even though it is far from my favourite activity; I can't deny the benefits- physically, mentally and visually.

I know you are working with a dietitian, but it may not be a bad idea to get your blood work done, especially if you carry weight in your mid section. Visceral fat can cause hormonal disruptions that can affect your ability to lose weight if not treated.

I don't want to be pushy but doing exercise that includes some kind of resistance work will be really benificial for muscle retention as you lose, as will a good level of protein. Look upon the MFP as a minimum and shoot for higher.

I really liked what you said about the maintenance @NewGemini130. Learning how to maintain is a challenge in itself for many.

Cheers, h.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    Options
    @middlehaitch - You aren't being pushy at all! I asked for input, so I appreciate all of the information. I had a similar photo experience. I play in some bands, and one band had photos taken. I was my all time heaviest, and I was unhappy with myself, but seeing the photos really brought it home for me. I did recently look at those for more inspiration to keep going.

I am actually getting blood work this week again. I've gotten it about every six weeks this Summer, but we haven't really checked out my thyroid in awhile. I have hypothyroidism. It's maintained with meds but my doctor said there's some test that hasn't been done in a long time, so we're doing that. I may also get to decrease my meds a little bit which would feel like a great accomplishment! I do carry a lot of my weight in my upper belly, and that spot has been super stubborn. I know it's not possible to spot reduce, wish it was!

And, my first session with my personal trainer is on Thursday. I used to weight lift a lot and loved it. Now it's time to take the "used to" out of that sentence :) It's good to hear what a positive thing that's been for you.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I feel better, and I feel like sticking to my plan now.