Working out in pain?

Hi everyone, after losing all my weight I gained back 80lbs in the last year. I have started back at my fitness routine BUT this time around I have physical issues that prevent me from working out to my fullest.

I keep getting severe pain in my ankles and feet, even something as simple as Zumba will get my feet and ankles swollen.

I've tried jogging and within minutes I'm in severe pain.

I know the pain is from the sudden weight gain.

How can I exercise and get results if I'm unable to do cardio?

Replies

• 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    If you have access to a gym, try using one of the elliptical or the stationary bikes, they are much less impact on your joints especially when you are getting back into a routine. Also try doing some leg exercises to help get your strength back up if you prefer running. Some easy ones to do in your house would be body squats, lunges, calve raises.

Just remember to slowly work up the intensity, if you start off pushing yourself too much you will be prone to more injury.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Is an elliptical machine an option? Cycling? Rowing? Swimming? Walking?
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    I'm doing the couch to 5k and I can't make it the full 30 minutes of walk/run and can't get past day 3.

I do have access to a pool so swimming might be an option, however right now I'm not in a gym.

I was 156lbs, gained weight to 190lbs, and am now at 235lbs. So I'm sure my body is in shock that I'm trying to exercise. And this all happened between July 2015 to now. :(
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I was in the midst of C25K and had to stop recently because of a couple pains too (foot/hip). I hate walking away from something I've started, but I'm tired of all the injuries I've endured the last few years while trying to just "tough it out". My activity this week was three strength training sessions, one cycling and one rowing. And one tennis match because I never really learn.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    You can lose weight just by watching your calorie intake.
    There are some seated workouts on You Tube that you could try for now. Jessica Smith tv, Priority One, and Live Exercise have some.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You can lose weight just by watching your calorie intake.
    There are some seated workouts on You Tube that you could try for now. Jessica Smith tv, Priority One, and Live Exercise have some.

This was my thought. When I was at my heaviest (258lbs) I had a difficult time with exercise. I focused on calorie consumption alone, and only started really exercising a week or so ago when I hit 40lbs lost. It has been so much easier.
  • ysoto2014
    ysoto2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Starting weight was 260 and I will recommend stretching a lot! I work for my husband at a sports medicine clinic so I do pt rehab and their chiropractic program. So if you have health ins it may be covered 100% I am currently getting back into running after my last baby.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    gabiinacio wrote: »
    I'm doing the couch to 5k and I can't make it the full 30 minutes of walk/run and can't get past day 3.

I do have access to a pool so swimming might be an option, however right now I'm not in a gym.

I was 156lbs, gained weight to 190lbs, and am now at 235lbs. So I'm sure my body is in shock that I'm trying to exercise. And this all happened between July 2015 to now. :(

Have you spoken to a professional about such quick weight loss?

That said, you do not have to exercise to lose weight, you just have to eat less than you burn. I would start out by setting your goals up in MFP to lose 2 pounds a week and integrate your exercise very slowly. Do what you can, and add each time you feel able. You can do this!