Thyroid cancer and weight loss

Hey guys! I used MFP in the past and I thought I would give it a try again. I have been lifting weights, running, and cycling since
June 2016 without counting my calories and I haven't lost a pound. Yes I know fat turns into muscle and it weighs more. I'm just very frustrated and I'm hoping that counting calories will help with the weight loss after my thyroid cancer (thyroid removed 3/2016). I had never been on any medicine before until it was removed. Has anyone on here had thyroid cancer and recommends anything to help with the weight loss? Any food recommendations over others? Thanks and I appreciate it!!!

Replies

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 597 Member
    I had my thyroid removed in December of 15 due to cancer. The key was to get my meds in the right range for ME. Just because your labs are on the "normal " range doesn't mean they're optimal for you. Having my labs optimal for me was crucial for the weight coming off.
  • sheilasue7
    sheilasue7 Posts: 2 Member
    I have had them changed 3 times and I'm meeting with my endo on Wednesday so hopefully the combo of this and lab work will help.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Fat does not turn to muscle nor does it weigh more. It's denser, yes, but doesn't weight more than fat.

I can't say I know the thyroid aspect of your weight loss, but start by tracking calories. Eat what you enjoy while staying in a calorie deficit. If your levels are correct, you should be able to lose like a normal individual. Some find that they have to have levels adjusted before that happens so keep an open communication with your doctor.