Running tips for beginners ?

Options
My goal is to run a 5k and work my way up. Currently, i walk at a pretty fast pace, and discovered that i am able to jog for about 5 min :-) Any tips or experiences would be helpful :-) I've heard great things about the C25K app. Thoughts on that would be awesome as well!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    C25K is great, and you can absolutely do it! I could barely run for a minute when I started with C25K, and now I just finished my second half marathon. I think the most important thing for runners is getting good shoes (go to your local running store and get fitted) and a good sports bra for those who need that. The folks over at the Long Distance Runners board are also really friendly and helpful.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooo much! And wow! A half marathon? That is awesome and such an accomplishment! I will do all that for sure. Is long distance runners a group in mfp?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, do c25k
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I used C25K about three and a half years ago. Did my first Ultra in September, so it works.

The key is not to run too quickly, but complete the time that your plan intends.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Enjoy C25K, it'll get you to your goal safely. Don't try to run too fast nor too often even if you think it's fine at the time, that's how you invite injury to occur. Just be patient and add not more than 10% distance per long run nor per weekly total. My one regret is that I started by trying to complete 5k as fast as I could against the clock (running but having to stop and walk sections) rather than first trying to jog 5k continuously and THEN working on pace.

Doing some core / strength / stability work alongside the running will also make you stronger and reduce the risk of injury. There's loads of exercises online or you could attend a class like Pilates for example.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The most important thing a new runner should focus on, is making sure he or she has the right shoes for running per one's specific gait and terrain needs. Once that has been addressed, one can then focus on using something like the C25K, which is an excellent beginner app.

Another important point that a lot of beginners are either ignorant of or don't take seriously, is not trying to do too much too soon. Translated that means don't try to run faster or farther than your current fitness level (which includes cardiovascular endurance, as well as skeletal muscular endurance and adaptation). This also can apply to many veteran runners, who make the mistake or running too hard all the time, trying to make each run a new 'personal best' record. And then they wonder why they have injuries all the time, or suffer from fitness fatigue syndrome.

One of the great things about the C25K app is that it slowly transitions the new runner into continuous running, using the walk / run method. This method helps the body (as a whole) slowly adapt to the stress that running places on the body. When it comes to the C25k app, speed is not important. What is important, is walking and running at a conversational pace. Conversational pace refers to being able to carry on a normal conversation with someone next to you (or being able to sing for example, if you are alone) without gasping for air, or doing what is known as 'huffing a puffing' for air. You should not be able to hear yourself breathing heavy. If you do, you are probably moving too fast for your current fitness level (barring doing fartleks, hill repeats and the like, that more experienced runners engage in.

If you need to repeat a C25K run day(s), do so. There is nothing wrong with taking longer to finish the app program than the app standard.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    @FitnessGirl11mfp Here's the long distance runners group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners There are folks from newbies all the way through marathoners.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    What is important, is walking and running at a conversational pace. Conversational pace refers to being able to carry on a normal conversation with someone next to you (or being able to sing for example, if you are alone) without gasping for air, or doing what is known as 'huffing a puffing' for air. You should not be able to hear yourself breathing heavy. If you do, you are probably moving too fast for your current fitness level (barring doing fartleks, hill repeats and the like, that more experienced runners engage in.

If you need to repeat a C25K run day(s), do so. There is nothing wrong with taking longer to finish the app program than the app standard.

So I just completed my 2nd week of C25K. I did great the first week. It was difficult but manageable. The 2nd week seemed to increase more quickly than I thought. There are several 3 minute runs. I'm good on the first one but at the last one at the end of the run, I am "huffing and puffing" and gasping. And this is a laughable slow jog. Would you recommend that I repeat that week or maybe go all the way back to Day 1?

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    What is important, is walking and running at a conversational pace. Conversational pace refers to being able to carry on a normal conversation with someone next to you (or being able to sing for example, if you are alone) without gasping for air, or doing what is known as 'huffing a puffing' for air. You should not be able to hear yourself breathing heavy. If you do, you are probably moving too fast for your current fitness level (barring doing fartleks, hill repeats and the like, that more experienced runners engage in.

So I just completed my 2nd week of C25K. I did great the first week. It was difficult but manageable. The 2nd week seemed to increase more quickly than I thought. There are several 3 minute runs. I'm good on the first one but at the last one at the end of the run, I am "huffing and puffing" and gasping. And this is a laughable slow jog. Would you recommend that I repeat that week or maybe go all the way back to Day 1?
    Repeat the week until you aren't 'huffing and puffing' anymore.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Good shoes and run as slow as possible.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K. While doing the program, if you can run any slower then you are running too fast.

Getting fitted for shoes at a running store is the usual advice given to new runners. I bucked that trend and bought a pair of running shoes at a department store. They were comfortable and it seems I do not have any special need in this area. I have never paid more than $50 for a pair of running shoes. While that may not be the case for you, you might consider an inexpensive pair to start while you see if running is really for you. Just an idea.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am doing my own version of the C25K. I started with a 1 minute jog/2 minute power walk interval. I kept increasing the jog time as I progressed. I started getting bored with the exact time, and just started going for longer distance and pushed it a little further each time. That seemed to work better for me than the timed intervals.

I am up to being able to jog for about 2.5 miles non stop in a little over 30 minutes so far at a very slow jog.

Take it slow and easy. Your heart and lungs are going to improve way before your muscles, joints, and bones, so you may feel like you want to go faster because your heart and lungs feel fine, but keep it slow even then, because you could injure your joints.

Also invest in a good pair of running shoes that are made for high impact running. I just picked up a pair of Hoka One One Claytons, and they literally feel like I am running on grass, but still put spring in my step.

Also develop a good running style (jogging at a slow pace is perfect for this). I do a heel touch/mid foot impact type of style. Do what feels right for you, but try to do it with as little impact as possible.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
  • trinityalyce
    trinityalyce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can add a vote for C25k. Have used it many times when I've taken time off running (injuries, illness, etc). I have successfully used the RunDouble app and love their variation on the C25k plan, and used the timed version.

Focus on running correctly and building good muscle strength alongside your run training - doing bodyweight or gym workouts targeted at running muscles like your glutes, etc really will help. This is where I made the mistake the first time and did my ITB. If something really doesn't feel right go see a good physio who has an interest in running injuries - mild pain in muscles etc is normal when you start from scratch, but persistent annoying/more significant pain is an indication there's an issue. I have terrible natural biomechanics so am working hard to correct that. Other people do have good natural form... but don't take the advice "anyone can run" blindly. I believe anyone with two able legs CAN run, but they might need physio/podiatry/specific shoes/ etc to help.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I did c25k too. It was great, I wasnt able to run 3 days a week so mine was a little more spread out but I got there in the end.

Good shoes is a must, as is building up your exercise. I went from sedentary to running 5-6 days a week in a short space of time as I thought I could just pick back up where I left off with my running. Now have plantar fascia issues and will probably take a while to heal as I ignored it for a fair while as well.

When you get to 5km have a look and see if there is a local parkrun near you. My local is a 5km timed run which was a great incentive for me to work on pace after I got the 5k distance.
  • jordanamrussell
    jordanamrussell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    C25K is an awesome app! And if you are huffing and puffing or it feels too hard, slow down the pace. You have to work on endurance first, worry about speed later. I only start to pay attention to my pace around week 6 or 7, when you are able to run those 22 or 25 minute runs without dying. And repeat a day or a week if it feels necessary.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I am just starting running, but live in a small town with no good sports shoe stores. What are some credible, national stores that I can look for when travelling?
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just an update: I started using the C25K app today and went for my first run/walk today. 32 min walk and 10 min run/jog! I love the app and I feel soooo accomplished :-) I also tried out my new Asics and so far i absolutely love them! Thanks everyone for the great tips!
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Since you are already on your training road, I will just add a bit of personal advice. Don't worry about running time for now. Focus on the goal of completion for the first race. After that, you can focus on speed for your next 5k race.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started C25K, but couldn't finish it because I got pissy at being told when to walk/run (I'm a contrary *kitten* sometimes). I think I managed to complete week 4, but instead of doing week 5, I downloaded Zombies Run and just used that. It was fun, and using that app I managed to work my way up to 5 and 10 K running distances. Then I switched to MapMyRun for Half Marathon training...

My advice is: run SLOW. Starting to get out of breath? Slow down. Getting a stitch in your side? Slow down. When building distance, run slllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You are getting a lot of great advice here about ramping up slowly, not increasing mileage more than 10% per week, getting running shoes from a running store, etc... One thing I would like to add is making sure you are running in good form. If you don't, it csn lead to knee injuries. There are some excellent youtube videos out there about how to run in proper form, and I would highly recommend watching them.