best 30 minute daily workout DVD for somebody who has over 100 lbs to lose

Options
i am slowly losing by keeping my calories in check on MFP. However I am going to start working out daily now that i have more energy. I have not worked out in 2 years but before that worked out a lot. Anyway, I plan on walking my dogs daily for 45 minutes to an hour because my two dogs AND I need a walk daily (I have a very sedentary job and my dogs need daily walks or they will chew up my house, lol). Walking is even challenging for me now days but I can do it at my pace to keep for injuries. I also want to add in a 30 minute workout daily (i have the time with my schedule) for toning and strengthening. I want to work hard but do not want to injure myself since it has been a while. Luckily I adapt easily to workouts as even though I am 100 lbs overweight, i have a lot of muscle thank goodness. What would be the best 30minute (give or take) DVD workout program to follow? I like Jillian Michaels and there are a TON of Beachbody ones, so many that I have a hard time deciding, lol. I like the looks of PIYO . I am not really a gym person and never have been. I like walking/running/ or workout DVD's. Any reviews on some good workout DVD's for somebody who does not want to injure themselves but get a good workout?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Get onto Youtube. All free and there are thousands of workouts. Whack in beginner to your search term and pick what appeals.

Leslie Sansone does walk at home that I hear great things about for easing into working out. Yoga with Adriene is good and unintimidating to the beginner too, if that's something you're interested in.

I personally mostly use Fitness Blender (and they have a website too, also free, that may be easier to navigate to search for something specific).

I have used Beachbody programmes and probably would again but for the main bulk of what I do I prefer it to be free!
  • peach0725
    peach0725 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yes YouTube! ^ exactly what I was going to say.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Youtube. Also anything by Leslie Sansone / "Walk away the pounds" is a good place to start if you don't mind the Christian undertones. There's something about Jillian Michaels that really rubs me the wrong way... and most beach body programs are too much jumping for me
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »
    Youtube. Also anything by Leslie Sansone / "Walk away the pounds" is a good place to start if you don't mind the Christian undertones. There's something about Jillian Michaels that really rubs me the wrong way... and most beach body programs are too much jumping for me

I feel the same way about Jillian Michaels! Agreed on Beachbody for the most part, very jumpy, particularly T25.
  • laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks. I have tried a lot of Beachbody ones and i feel like they are way to jumpy as your saying. I do like Jillian michaels workouts but agree...not sure about her, lol.
  • laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    also Beachbody has PIYO and it is low impact but since i am obese it is so hard to get into some of those poses it is nearly impossible honestly and I just get frustrated...even though I feel yoga is great. Anyone done PIYO?
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the idea for Fitness Blender...you can find their videos on YouTube or on their website (fitnessblender.com), and their website comes with a search function where you can choose what type of training you want and specify the maximum and minimum time limit for the videos you want. Added bonus: every video on their website is completely free to use.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Love, love, LOVE FitnessBlender. It's all I use.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the jumping exercises. I started doing 30 Day Shred with 200lbs to lose, and my knees creak and pop now. It may not happen to everyone, but just an FYI.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Ya, a lot of popular exercise DVDs are really hard on the knees, especially for someone with a 100 pounds to lose. I'd find something that is all weights; no cardio - you've got the cardio covered with your walking. I no longer believe in mixing cardio with weights - performance for both suffers.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender! Free videos on YouTube, really good variety of different types of exercise and most are between 20 to 40 minutes. They always include low impact variations too.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    The beauty of Youtube as well, and even Fitness Blender, is the sheer volume and variety. I have purchased both the 8 week schedules from FB (super cheap) and I don't think there's a repeat workout in them. If you stay free there's over 500 to choose from with them alone.

So why pay for something you're not sure about when you can experiment to your hearts content for free?

As for getting into positions, check to see if they mention modifications. Pretty much everything can be modified and a beginner workout should already be modified. It is really important to look after the knees when you're very heavy, I certainly was a bit guilty of ignoring it just through sheer enthusiasm of finding my sweaty mojo but it can end up causing longer term problems that just aren't worth it (my knees are mostly fine now and I did look after them properly eventually but with pre-existing issues and my weight I should have been more sensible!).
  • wookiepants
    wookiepants Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can try the dailyburn website and use truebeginners workouts. They really helped me out. They have a 30 day trial atm. Also daily motion as well.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I love Beachbody Insanity Max30. I do the modifier track (available on all of their programs I believe) which is not at all "jumpy". I have knee injuries so I have to stay low/no impact.

I also have SWORKIT, a free phone app that allows you to customize 5-30min workouts on your phone wherever you are.
  • agnatkowa
    agnatkowa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! Check Jennifer Smith TV on YouTube. Plenty of indoor workout.
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Try your local library. They usually have tons of workout DVDs that you can borrow and try out. You could do a different workout every few weeks for free. :smile: