Looking for healthier "hot dogs" - where can I find them?

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if a hot-dog alternative option was available out there (in Canada) - ones without nitrates/processed meats. Doesn't matter if it's 'uncooked', but basically some REAL meat in the more or less shape of a 'dog' for a typical "hotdog" cuisine.

I don't normally eat hotdogs, but every once a year or so, I'd like to have one, but I'd also LOVE to have a healthier "dog" if there are indeed wonderful alternatives out there (Canada)!
Does anybody know if these alternatives exist, and if they do, where can I find them?

Replies

• Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do you have any Trader Joe's near you? They have uncured chicken hot digs that are pretty decent..
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @Hope228
    No Trader Joes in Canada =(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have sausages?

organic-beef-sausage.jpg
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Ask a local butcher. Sometimes they will make them for you. I am fortunate to have one close to me that makes a very healthy hot dog. (as far as hot dogs go)

Hippey's - Hot Dog
    Servings:

Calories 130 Sodium 150 mg
    Total Fat 11 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 4 g Total Carbs 0 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 35 mg
    Vitamin A 0% Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 0% Iron 4%
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Applegate farm sells them here, and they're pretty low cal too (90 calories or something).

But I don't know if you have that brand over there either. Do you guys have natural/organic stores or even sections of those foods in your regular stores?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I second making your own. :)
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Natural selections are just meat and spices. U can get pork hot dogs or chicken hot dogs. They are pretty good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's inherently processed, but if you want something other than a traditional hot dog, there are lots of options for sausages that are of quite varying ingredients and calories and sodium/fat content and other additives and all that. I do sometimes get farm-made sausages from the local farm I get meat from, and that's not so different than just making it yourself (same with the some of the options available at my local meat market), although of course it will normally still be high fat and all that -- in fact, if calories are the issue there are far less caloric options in the packaged aisle.

Anyway, I eat them so rarely and for occasions -- maybe a 4th of July cookout or baseball or football game -- so for it being that rare I don't worry too much about it and will have Vienna beef or a regular brat or Polish if that's what's on offer. That's kind of what I associate with the event anyway.

Main thing is no ketchup!

(Just kidding, I don't judge.)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I like veggie dogs. They are way better than anything with "meat". (meat for this post refers to what a hot dog is made out of)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if a hot-dog alternative option was available out there (in Canada) - ones without nitrates/processed meats. Doesn't matter if it's 'uncooked', but basically some REAL meat in the more or less shape of a 'dog' for a typical "hotdog" cuisine.

I don't normally eat hotdogs, but every once a year or so, I'd like to have one, but I'd also LOVE to have a healthier "dog" if there are indeed wonderful alternatives out there (Canada)!
    Does anybody know if these alternatives exist, and if they do, where can I find them?

A hot dog or sausage is by it's very nature a processed meat. You can get all beef or whatever, but it's still processed meat. Also, don't be fooled by "uncured"...all this means is that they aren't adding the pink sodium nitrate...they use celery juice or celery powder...which is sodium nitrate.

If you're going to have a hot dog once per year or something I really wouldn't fuss about it too much...just eat whatever hot dog you like...

Personally, I'd opt for a nice bratwurst, but that's just me.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like tofu pups or smart dogs...they have a fair amount of protein and aren't made out of entrails.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hot dogs are about the most processed meat you can get but I highly recommend finding a good butcher. But im just echoing other posters, carry on.

Edit: Im not saying processed is bad, lord knows I live on Pizza Rolls, but making a point.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    The "Natural Selections" ones are available at every grocery store near me (western Canada) if those fit your criteria, and they taste fine. My husband likes them and the bacon and even though I've pointed out that IMO naturally-occurring nitrates from celery seed isn't any different than any other kind, he still insists on them in the interests of avoiding colon cancer or whatever the latest scare article was about, lol.

I don't eat much meat but I buy Yves veggie dogs usually for camping and whatever, and those, while processed to hell and back, are meat and nitrate free and don't taste much different at all to me than a regular hot dog, so those might work for you too. I'm not sure what specifically you're trying to avoid though.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like tofu pups or smart dogs...they have a fair amount of protein and aren't made out of entrails.

Offal is good for you.

Tofu dogs are junk and filled with garbage like soy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Oy with the food moralizing in this thread. It's going every which way!

Fun times.

Before I became soy intolerant, I used to love Smart Dogs. My omnivore husband still prefers them to regular hot dogs.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have sausages?

organic-beef-sausage.jpg

*drool*

This is what gets my vote. If I'm going to eat a hotdog, I'm going to go all out, and it's going to be a good one.

I like to either get brats or sausages from the meat section at my grocery store and buns from the bakery. Sauté some onions/peppers and add some mustard and kraut, and I'm good.

I also like brats with a relish that I make from caramelized onions and fresh grapes sautéed together. It's good with honey Dijon mustard.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    dont think anyone mentioned it but if its all the organ meats and endtrails that bother you in hotdogs by kosher and it pretty mich eliminates all that.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »

Offal is good for you.

Tofu dogs are junk and filled with garbage like soy.

Garbage is a relative term, but personally, I don't like eating intestines and connective tissue. Some people do.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I would go with sausages too as someone above mentioned. Hot dogs are mechanically separated meat while sausage is at least a step up on the food chain so to speak.
  • kkrober25
    kkrober25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I buy Hebrew National when I do buy hotdogs. I don't know how "healthy" they are, but they taste a lot better than a typical hotdog.