Getting protein when I hate to cook

Options
2»

Replies

• AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This chocolate protein oatmeal smoothie has 28 grams of protein in it. If you added greek yogurt to this you could easily get this drink up to 50 grams of protein without having to cook anything. I will mention that I find this recipe really filling so maybe leave out the oatmeal if you're struggling to get enough calories in. I would think leaving the oatmeal out might make it less filling. I LOVE this recipe.
    0sdx9e6tge2t.jpg
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/vegan-oatmeal-smoothie-chocolate-protein-thick-creamy/

• jnlamppert
    jnlamppert Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On my lazy weeks instead of prepping chicken for the week I buy a rotisserie chicken from my local grocery store (or Sams/Costco). Then you can just eat off of that for the week!
  • healthkickkath1
    healthkickkath1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You've always got the option of wearing disposable rubber gloves when cutting up raw meats
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    alot of great tips here. I bought some gnc nonflavored protein and drop it into just about anything (soups, pudding, eggs, oatmeal, shakes) for protein boost.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This chocolate protein oatmeal smoothie has 28 grams of protein in it. If you added greek yogurt to this you could easily get this drink up to 50 grams of protein without having to cook anything. I will mention that I find this recipe really filling so maybe leave out the oatmeal if you're struggling to get enough calories in. I would think leaving the oatmeal out might make it less filling. I LOVE this recipe.
    0sdx9e6tge2t.jpg
    https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/vegan-oatmeal-smoothie-chocolate-protein-thick-creamy/

I've read that it is difficult to absorb more than 30 g of protein at once. You end up wasting what is left over. Has anyone else heard of this or have feedback on that?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    KaseyWolf wrote: »
    0sdx9e6tge2t.jpg

I've read that it is difficult to absorb more than 30 g of protein at once. You end up wasting what is left over. Has anyone else heard of this or have feedback on that?

I've heard that said many times however it is false. Meal timings and macronutrients in meals have minimal effect. It is all about the bigger picture (CICO).
  • crawforgarten
    crawforgarten Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on a high protein diet, and do agree with a lot of the advice here. The only thing I'd add is a protein bar. I personally use ThinkThin protein bars. 20g of protein, 0g sugar, 230 calories.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    I am on a high protein diet, and do agree with a lot of the advice here. The only thing I'd add is a protein bar. I personally use ThinkThin protein bars. 20g of protein, 0g sugar, 230 calories.

20g of protein is 80 calories so what makes up the remaining 150 calories? Sugar is not a macronutrient, it is a carbohydrate.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I also have read that protein over 30g in a single sitting is wasted. I just try to keep my protein under this and enjoy it more often.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I also have read that protein over 30g in a single sitting is wasted. I just try to keep my protein under this and enjoy it more often.

It's a false statement. In fact, if you are actively working to stimulate protein synthesis and maximize training results, you may need more per meal. The below video is a good explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTF9YR6BU9k
  • trigden1991
    Options

That is an old myth. You can consume all your daily calories in one meal and be just fine.
  • crawforgarten
    crawforgarten Posts: 22 Member
    Options

20g of protein is 80 calories so what makes up the remaining 150 calories? Sugar is not a macronutrient, it is a carbohydrate.

I'm not super knowledgable about the protein/calorie ratio, so that's good to know.

210mg sodium, 8g of fat, 1g dietary fiber, 12g sugar alcohol, 9g "other carb"
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Are you unwilling to do any cooking at all no matter how simple? Because boiling an egg or poaching frozen chicken breasts is incredibly easy and requires almost no clean up.

I mean here is the "recipe" for poaching chicken. Fill pot with water, take chicken breasts out of freezer, put chicken breasts in water, turn on heat, set timer, walk away, come back when timer goes off, pour out water. Done.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can identify with the thing about cooking meat, especially chicken, as I am phobic -genuinely -about germs. The way I deal with it is to fill the sink with hot water and a bit of bleach, then when I'm done I use the solution to wipe the surfaces and wash the utensils etc. Yes,it sounds mad but I refuse to allow my obsession to get in the way of enjoying food!
  • CALS0CCERBEAR87
    CALS0CCERBEAR87 Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    tuna, sardines, salmon (both canned or smoked), stuff like pickled herrings, canned chicken (though never been brave enough to try that!), deli meats, canned beans, protein powder shakes in a shaker bottle...

the possibilities are out there.

I also do bulk cooking of chicken as mentioned above.

Plus dunno about the dirtyness of cooking my chicken. All i get dirty is the chopping board, knife and the pan and then the containers I put the portions into - but you could always use zip-lock bags for convenience of non-cleaning.

yuck on the canned! i'll take your cooking X 1000000 haha

perdue has all-natural lightly breaded chicken breast tenders in the freezer aisle...they are microwavable and gluten-free and tasty + high in protein
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, tuna, greek yogurt
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    KaseyWolf wrote: »
    0sdx9e6tge2t.jpg

If that line of thinking discourages you from drinking a whole smoothie in a single sitting I'd recommend making this smoothie, drink half in the morning and finish the second half as an evening sweet snack. Not difficult to fit this recipe or any other high protein recipe into your personal eating philosophy by splitting a meal into 2. Then compare if there's a measurable benefit to taking the extra steps of limiting protein in a single sitting.

I personally don't have the mental bandwidth to analyze and function with that way of thinking but it's a worth while question! I definitely feel a benefit since upping my protein but I couldn't quantify it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

If that was true dieting would be a lot easier because you could basically eat any amount of protein you wanted provided you ate it fast enough.

Unfortunately for us, not true.