Looking Outward Instead of In

Options
I've been having this issue lately, and I don't know why. Maybe it's my recent obsession with that Millionaire Matchmaker television show, or it's the fact that I've been concentrating on being more healthy. I am worried about what other people think of me. I've never really been that way, I mean outside of the normal range really, but lately I feel so susceptible to what other people think. I find myself looking up things online like "What do men really think about fat women" or "Do men like natural hair". Like, everything about me, I pick apart, and I'm not different than I was a month or two ago, so what's changed that has me so freaked out and looking for acceptance? Does anyone else have this problem, and more importantly, how did you get over it?

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Its probably because you have become self-conscious of yourself..to the point of eating right/exercising/being on MFP. Dont be so hard on yourself. You were a beatiful person before you started..and will be once you complete your journey.

I am the same way..since I have started my journey..I think I am more hyper-critical of myself...and in doing so...I think others are also judging me.but they arent..its just my perception.

Hang in there..you are doing awesome..
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    I think that when we get the size that we are we kind of deaden ourselves to the outside world. We cover our fears and feelings with our food. Now that you have come out of hiding, you have to face the real world for the first time ina long time and that can be a daunting task! But, think of all of the new and exciting possibilities! I just think we all have to work through it in our own way...Just keep remembering how wonderful and beautiful you are and you will work through these feelings of insecurity!!!:flowerforyou:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have been this way my entire life. Do you have a parent that feels this way? My dad has always been worried about his career and what his family looks liek to others. He is paranoid about facebook, flips out when I comment on things publicly and one time I wrote a letter to the editor for our paper and he just about lost it! He has made me incredibly paranoid. I think losing a littl ebit of weight has definitley made me more confident and I've noticed this paranoia going away.

I just had to tell you I know exactly what you mean.
  • noturmom
    noturmom Posts: 18
    Options
    I used to be so outgoing, witty, loud, and could really give a crap less what others thought of me. Then I gained weight and became very withdrawn, and shy. I felt very self concious. I decided to get fit and healthy and everytime I'd work out, I'd cry. I could feel my body struggling to keep up with vidoes, and I didn't go to a gym for fear people would judge me. I did lose a few lbs on my own with a bit of hard work, and feel much more fit and in shape than before, although I still have a long way to go! I might not look a whole lot different but I sure feel different. I have regained a lot of my former confidence and since joining MFP have made a lot of supportive friends! Girlfriend, your photo is gorgeous- not that you need me to tell you that :wink: - but seriously, keep at it and don't lose focus on your goals. Regain yourself and everything else will follow!!! I'd love to be friends on here if your interested! Add me!
  • erniebaby123
    erniebaby123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think self-acceptance is something that every human struggles with daily throughout our entire life. Depending on what's going on in your life (could be relationships, job, health), how you feel about yourself inside, the people around your (good friends, family, good boyfriend) the struggle may be harder or easier at that moment.

Committing to weigh loss is a lifechanging event, so I think it's normal to think about what other people think about you as long as you don't let their thoughts define you. I don't think it's something you have to get over, it's something you're going through to help you get to wherever you feel you want to be.

And, Girl--I look up crazy dating stuff too sometimes, but we all do-- we're human, and some of us want relationships, there's nothing embarrassing or wrong about it. I confess that I've spent entire days looking up astrological compatibility--is it crazy--maybe, am I crazy, maybe a bit. (lol), but I'm not going to beat myself up about, and I don't think you should either..

And, yes girl--I can tell you w/ a definite YES --some men like fat women and some men like natural hair-..I'm fat and I have natural hair--and I don't lack for suitors, suitable suitors, maybe, but not suitors..hahaha..

Enjoy your journey! (((hugs)))
  • cieraangel
    cieraangel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just consider myself to be a fairly rational person. I'm married to a hottie patottie, pretty much by anyone's standards, so I'm not sure why it'd matter to me what other men think. I'm in a position of my life right now that I would say is fabulous: I'll be a department chair this coming school year, parents actually request that their children be in my class, family is relatively normal (for my crazy family anyway lol) and if someone else were describing my life to me, I'd want it. Yet all these insecurities about myself are creeping in and I've become so hung up on it. I hope you guys are right about it being better...and I hope sooner than later. I don't like the feeling.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think that when we get the size that we are we kind of deaden ourselves to the outside world. We cover our fears and feelings with our food. Now that you have come out of hiding, you have to face the real world for the first time ina long time and that can be a daunting task! But, think of all of the new and exciting possibilities! I just think we all have to work through it in our own way...Just keep remembering how wonderful and beautiful you are and you will work through these feelings of insecurity!!!:flowerforyou:

this pretty much captures the same thoughts i had on the subject...i agree...you prob always felt this deep inside butare facing it now...also...for me...when i began i had to hit bottom ya know...and it dawned on me just how little i liked me...and how much i hadn't loved who i was enough to take care of myself properly...and well...that made me realize...man, if you feel this way about yourself...then surely others do(which i have learned is almost never the case bc we are far harder on ourselves than others are)...you can use it for the good...(also, as a newfound friend...you may want to find other activities besides tv til you are in a diff place mentally and emotionally bc i read a study published a year or so ago about how women who watch alot of regular programming and reality shows ate more, were more depressed, and had low self esteem...i stoppped watching tv about a year ago and i feel better about it *(but if you really love it, maybe just focus on diff programming til you feel better...:heart:

:wink: