Cost of fresh local food

Options
I'm a little frustrated with some of the posts regarding fresh local produce and the fact that most people think that it should be way cheaper than what is purchased from stores. As a small vegetable producer myself, growing between 6 and 8 acres of a very large variety of produce, fresh herbs, and chickens for egg production, how is right to expect us to sell our items for a loss?

People seem to forget that we are here to make a living with what we are doing. We follow organic practices but are not certified, rarely use any treatments and if we have to only use OMRI approved compounds. Organic ways of production, in general, cost more or are more time consuming (which in turn cost more due to labor expenses) then conventional means. Conventional production is a significantly cheaper route to go because conventional treatments, packaging and time spent is a lot less.

We love to provide a healthier product along with one that has less of an effect on the environment but we also need to cover the expense of production, packaging, transportation and labor. The biggest thing I tell people is that when you want a quality product, you get what you pay for. Our produce is not priced outrageously but we still hear "well, it should be cheaper than whats at the grocery store." People seem to forget too that major store purchasing produce in large quantities get a huge price break from the producer which makes it easier for them to provide it to the general public for a lower price.

Sorry to rant but it just gets frustrating!

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    That is why some of us grow our own veggies, we know how hard it is.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    People are very ignorant to think that it should be cheaper! I would only assume that you would pay more for it b/c it is fresh and way better quality!
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Though it may be pricier, here is how I feel.....

I would rather know that I'm supporting my local farmers and eating healthy at the same time. Paying a few cents more per lb for something is worth it to me. I will not claim to always buy local however I do buy local a good percentage of the time.

Thank you local farmer for supplying us with healthy foods. ;o)

-Sue
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    Options
    I think mostly it's a crutch/excuse for some people. They say I can't afford this fresh produce, but I can afford this bag of chips, and so they continue to eat chips. I know it's more expensive to buy fruit and and veggies, but it is healthier, and it will keep your body healthier which might prevent medical issues down the road and in turn save you money.
  • bilfarb1
    bilfarb1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good for you, the farm is a much better place for good food than the city. You have every right to expect a monetary compensation for your investment of time and money. Thanks so much for supplying good food for healthy bodies.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    yep, unfortunately most people have it backwards: it's not that local produce is so expensive, it's that conventionally grown produce is so ridiculously cheap (in price but even more importantly in quality) so that's just what people are used to. no one seems to have a problem spending $10 to go to the movies, but when it comes to paying $4 for a dozen farm fresh, free range eggs, all of a sudden that doesn't fit into their budget.

i totally understand your frustration, and THANK YOU for doing what you do. please keep it up, and i'll continue to give as much business as i possibly can to local farms to keep you guys profitable. you rock :flowerforyou:
  • Riebeckite
    Riebeckite Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for growing high quality good produce that requires minimal transportation! The other thing that people often forget (in my experience) is that major producers take advantage of subsidies and tax credits/loopholes that are not available to the small producer. My family is still working to transition to only high quality calories, and when we look at the budget, I remind my other half that if all we care about is cheap calories, we can buy Doritos and Twinkies. But since we want high quality calories (as well as to support our local businesses), we can pay a little extra - and only buy the good calories that we need (instead of maximizing our calories for the dollar to buy subsidized HFCS-filled crap)! I have to admit, since I committed to a small local CSA, we're definitely eating higher quality calories, and I'm enjoying eating stuff that we wouldn't otherwise have access to.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Woah....

I'm IGNORANT because I can't afford it? A little harsh and VERY judgemental no?

Frankly I'm glad that someone has finally admitted it IS more expensive. The government (at least in Canada) gives subsidies to the big farms to do with what they will. If we all demanded healthier produce than they would most likely use the money towards those ends. As it stands now they use it to develop hardier pesticides.

Nobody says YOU have to lower YOUR prices. But then, nobody says I have to buy it either.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! for caring enough to grow good, fresh, organic stuff! I live in an agricultural area and I love to shop at farm stands and our local farmer's market. I don't do that for lower prices, but because of the better quality. Worth every cent! Although, I do find that the prices are always reasonable -- I'm sometimes surprised at how far my money goes at the farmer's market compared to the grocery store.
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think its super important that people try their best to support local foods, I try to make it to my local farmer's market every week. Personally I think the produce tastes better and I'm willing to pay more for better produce.

What really aggravates me is when people complain about paying more money for higher quality food..... but they don't complain about paying more money for luxury cars, nice clothes, satellite TV, etc. These days people are more willing to waste money on these unnecessary things than pay $1-2 more for whats most important: HEALTHY FOOD!
  • graciegirl59
    Options
    @ Wonnder1:

First, nothing was said by me about being ignorant and second, we cannot lower our prices any farther than we have otherwise we may as well file for bankruptcy now. My main argument is that people need to be better educated about the process of how food is grown, wether it is by conventional or unconventional means, and the actual cost of input/ production.

I would love to be able to provide free food to everyone but the sad thing is that I can't pay my bills that way. You would think that since I grow such a wide variety of produce that I wouldn't have to buy any, but it's the exact opposite. I purchase a lot of items from other local producers, and i have no problem paying what is asked for those items because I am fully aware as to how much time, effort, work and expense went into producing that item.
  • graciegirl59
    Options
    @comcatee:

That's a very good point! People have no problem dropping a few thousand dollars for a high quality tv or a computer that will be out of date in a year or two. Your health is something worth investing in, why would it be any different in how you spend money on the fuel you put into that.
  • wonnder1
    Options
    It wasn't you that said ignorant.

My point was that if we did demand it, there would be more subsidies available, therefore cost would go down.
    I do go to the farmers market here, but there's also the fact that in Southwestern Ontario, there just isn't a lot of choice. Carrot...cucumber...garlic...potato...honey...corn and soybean is all we grow here.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    Woah....

I'm IGNORANT because I can't afford it? A little harsh and VERY judgemental no?

Frankly I'm glad that someone has finally admitted it IS more expensive. The government (at least in Canada) gives subsidies to the big farms to do with what they will. If we all demanded healthier produce than they would most likely use the money towards those ends. As it stands now they use it to develop hardier pesticides.

Nobody says YOU have to lower YOUR prices. But then, nobody says I have to buy it either.
    the only person who mentioned ignorance in this thread was referring to people who think the cost of local produce should go down. do you fall into that category? if not, calm down.
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert on this topic but as far as I'm aware the US government does not give very many subsidies to farms that grow produce. I think I was reading an article recently on the new "MyPlate" food guidelines that said even though they recommend that 1/2 your food intake be fruits and vegetables, less than 1% of federal subsidies go to farmers who grow produce. Basically if you don't grow corn (which mostly goes to feed for livestock), soybean, or produce dairy, then you won't get decent subsidies from the govt. The system is all messed up in my opinion, and it could be because there is less demand for fresh produce than there is for meat and dairy, but hopefully that is changing. I believe this is part of the reason why it is so difficult for produce farmers.
  • wonnder1
    Options
    I do think it should go down. I can't believe everybody doesn't think it should go down. So yes, they were calling me ignorant and I took offense.

I don't think the farmer should be punished. I think our government should give small local farmers the same benefits they give large conglomerates. Sadly, small local farmers don't have lobbyists. I don't think local organic food SHOULD be more expensive-oh, I understand the business reasons behind it. But it doesn't mean it's *right*

About 10 years ago there was an organized march on Parliament by farmers from all over the country. You know what happened in the weeks following? Funding to farmers went up by 7% The price on the shelves went up 3% You can take that how you will. A business is a business.
  • graciegirl59
    Options
    There isn't a whole lot of subsidies or programs for small producers. There are, however, different grants that are available to growers that help with expansion and production or equipment cost. Unfortunately there are so many applicants that it is really hard to be one of the few who awarded the grants.
  • kristen11joy
    kristen11joy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    farmers market here, but there's also the fact that in Southwestern Ontario, there just isn't a lot of choice. Carrot...cucumber...garlic...potato...honey...corn and soybean is all we grow here.
    [/quote]

also asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, apples, beets, blueberries, peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce,
    (I am also from southwestern Ont -- apparently my farmers' market has a better selection than yours!)
    A lot of things are seasonal, and only available for a few weeks though.
  • bilfarb1
    bilfarb1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you let city people feed you. You will get wax on your apples made with petroleum .,The only purpose for it is to make the fruit look shiny, so people that don't know any better will purchase their crap.

Milk will have growth hormones added for you to ingest.

Beef will have everything the cattle have been injected with, and eaten [including but not limited to corn that has been genetically altered to be resistant to "Roundup" the pesticide, tainting the meat.
    A footnote: If you are interested research irradiated meat .

I want to thank the Farmers and Ranchers that choose to willingly refuse to poison us. I will spend the money gladly now for an honest product.

Most of us have been INTENTIONALLY misled and DELIBERATELY poisoned for years, and used without our permission as guinea pigs. This was done only to make a buck. Cheap products. Manufactured without conscious,

I for one believe in truth of labeling.
    Example my Niece bought chicken bouillon. The label said it did not contain MSG. I noticed a mall asterisk that said on the same label amino acids see back panel.I looked at the back panel "Quote amino acid contains a small amount of MSG.

Please research and educate yourself. I am responding because I do care to help.