Honestly what do i need to do!

Options
Simce january i have gone from 13stone 1 to 9 stone 7. But i feel i look like crap.

I know i need to work out more but the gym is a hard no for me...

What exercises should i be doing do i need cardio or hiit. And do i need to lose more fat i am arpund 23.5. % at the mo..

Ive had 3 kids and my lower midsection skin is not great...

20161017_155420_zpsfpgneuze.jpg

Replies

• rhiannonarmstrong31
    Options
    In clothes i think its ok...but i wanna feel good nakey too

IMG_20161017_154519_zpsatxbb4xa.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You do have more fat to lose (likely not 23.5%) and I would suggest trying to build some muscle. If the gym is a hard no, I would suggest bodyweight training at home or a park or getting weights to lift at home.
  • rhiannonarmstrong31
    Options
    20160813_154416_zpsrahezn4v.jpg

IMG_20161017_155033_zpstlxhmeha.jpg

Im beggining to despair im doing my very best but between the mental health issue si have preventing the gym and certain food im loosing my will to carry on
  • jdawson002
    jdawson002 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to see what your worries about.....you have a fab body as far as I'm concerned.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    How much have you lost total? Have you taken any breaks?

After seeing your second set of pictures and reading your post, I would say it might be time to take a break from losing. Focus on maintaining your weight and building some muscle/strength. The book Strong Curves has four workouts and one of them is done with bodyweight work (you won't need to go to the gym.) I'd suggest getting the book but here is a link to the workout templates so you can see what is involved. The workout you would do is called Best Butt Bodyweight/Home and starts on what is labeled page 135. http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

One option would be to take a nice long break, do a program like the one linked above, which would take 12 weeks/3 months, and then evaluate how you are doing and decide if you want to try to lose a bit more or continue to maintain. It's fine to stop and maintain and then go back to losing. No decision that you make now has to be permanent when it comes to maintaining or continuing to lose.
  • rhiannonarmstrong31
    Options
    Thank you i havnt taken any breaks..yet...
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Girl your legs are fiiiiine! Massive well done on your progress so far. You have a lovely body so don't be too hard on yourself, I think sometimes it's easy for our body image to get distorted the more weight we lose.
    If the gym is a no-go, have you looked into the Kayla Itsines BBG? 30-minute bodyweight hiit workouts, the transformations women have undergone are amazing!

Balancing your physical and mental health is a massive task in itself; you've done amazingly so keep being kind to yourself x
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    First, it sounds like this is causing you a huge amount of stress, which isn't mentally or physically healthy for you. You've made a huge amount of progress already based on your before/after picture, so well done there!

I second the idea of taking a break. (In fact, I second everything that jemhh said above). Find a bodyweight resistance training program and try running it for 12 weeks while eating at maintenance. I didn't realize that Strong Curves had a bodyweight program, but it would be a good place to start. (If you don't like that one, you could also look into Convict Conditioning or You Are Your Own Gym).

When you switch to maintenance, most people see a slight bump on the scale. It's mostly water and glycogen, so it's not real fat gain. Before you start your break, you need to figure out a way to be okay with seeing that small variation on the scale. I'd recommend giving yourself a 5-pound range and being okay with your weight fluctuating anywhere within that range. Also, take measurements and progress pictures regularly if you haven't been already. The scale number is an important data point, but it's just one data point among many, so in order to get a full picture of progress we want to find other ways of measuring those other data points.
  • p8yn02016
    p8yn02016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss I would recommend doing weight training now to help build up muscle mass which will help with any excess loose skin but don't be put down by that once u start seeing results in muscle growth you won't be disappointed. Plus u said your not up for going to the gym but that's fine there are tons of body weight exercises u can do at home.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Number 1, i wish my legs looked that slim.

Number 2: I've seen so many pics of ladies with skin like that over lovely abs and that little pouch can actually make the abs appear more defined where it sits on them, woop! Goals!

I would say do some at home exercise that includes body weight, Jillian's dvds are a great start point if you are a newbie to it and also include wide ranges of exercise so you will learn what you enjoy. I'd take a deficit break, maintain and get some newbie gains and see how you feel after this point. (for example within a month of 30 day shred, you WILL see definition in your arms if you stick at it) plus exercise really boosts the endorphins. I also suffer mental/body image battles and one sure fire way to get myself out a bad funk is to workout!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on your transformation! Now you need to give it more time and sculpt your body by building muscle.

I know a pro bodybuilder - Justine Moore. When she takes on new female clients (many of which have been brainwashed about women and weights) she shows them two pictures of herself - one when she was killing herself with cardio spending hours at the gym and the second about a year later after she moved to resistance training and about 10 lbs heavier. Hands down everyone chooses the look after a year of resistance training.

If you are concerned about the gym there's not much you can't replicate at home using free weights.

Keep it up and don't get discouraged and don't get stressed. Spin positive - you are likely in the top 10% when it comes to health - be proud!