Winter Food

Options
Hi All,

Looking for some meal ideas for at work. I normally have a salad at 12 and a salad at 3 at my desk. It's getting too cold for just having salads now we're getting into winter and just trying to find dishes to replace my salads.

I have started to make soups, mainly stock based soups rather than cream based ones.

I do limit pasta/potatoes/rice & bread through the day & eat that sort of thing on a night instead, just personal preference.

So any veg/meat/fish dishes anyone can think of?

Thanks

Replies

• creatrixbeatrix
    creatrixbeatrix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    How about roasting veggies in batches, and heating them up at work (or eating them cold)? Broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, carrots, parsnips, beets, Brussels sprouts... Are all very tasty when roasted in a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Soups and chili for me. Or leftover dinner from the night before.

When I'm really tight up about what to make I bring grilled chicken tenders and steamed brocolli (just make sure the smell of the brocolli doesn't make anyone else in the office sick :))
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Will try the roast veg, never really thought of that.

Ick, I hate chilli! But love soups. Ahh I don't really care if smells are bad for others haha, the girl who sits next to me constantly has eggs or mackerel so i can't be that bad!

I do try to do leftovers but my fella eats every 2 hours and is very strict on what he eats etc, it's very rare we have many leftovers. I can do a sunday roast for 4-5 people and he'll just eat that all day so there's never anything left over haha. I do have similar to him but he either has fish & veg or chicken & veg for about 4-5meals through the day. Just looking for some variation.

May have to dig out plenty of soup recipes & cook big batches on a weekend.

Thanks both
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I actually really love making this soup:

This is one of my all time favorite soup recipes. I know it seems like a pain in the butt, but it is seriously SO easy.
    http://allrecipes.com/video/5304/chef-johns-roasted-butternut-squash-soup/

It makes enough servings that i can make it once and eat it the entire week. So, i highly highly recommend the investment in time upfront is worth it.

I do make two others that I like to eat all week as well. They are what i'd call "dump soups" because they require very little chopping and/or preparation. I am including the recipes, which happen to be from my own blog, if there is an issue with this, please let me know before giving me a warning for "advertising". I am just wanting to share these particular recipes, and i don't know any other place that has them exactly like i make them.

Lentil Stew:
    http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/10/04/hearty-lentil-stew-recipe/

And a vegetarian version of "tortilla soup" or "beans and rice":
    http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/10/04/hearty-tortilla-soup/

I also agree with the recommendation to roast veggies and bring them. On sundays i like to chop and roast 2 white potatoes, 2 sweet potatoes, 5-6 carrots, 2 large onions (i quarter them), and sometimes i'll add parsnips. Roast them with some olive oil, your seasonings of choice, etc. Makes it super super simple. I also prepare some faux-meat for myself, and my boyfriend buys frozen chicken or patties. This way we have lunch for the whole week and it's super simple.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I agree with the roast veggies. I prefer my biggest meal to be at night, so I usually bring a big batch of veggies and some form of meat for lunch every day. Today is a massive amount of mini carrots that I cooked with onion, and some chicken that I cut into strips and sautéed with onion, bell pepper, and a tiny bit of oil.
  • molepigeon
    molepigeon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have half a carton of soup and a couple of boiled eggs. I vary the soup to keep it interesting.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I cook a batch ahead of time using cooked meat or grilled cubed chicken added to veggies that simmered to tenderness on the stove top. Sometimes I put them into the little meal sized porcelain crocks made by Corning ware and freeze. They have vent tops and can be microwaved. If I don't have cooked meat available I occasionally use Tyson cubed roasted chicken found in Walmart freezer section and zap it in a microwave to heat.

When I get hungry for lunch I like quick and ready foods and often employ leftover meats on top of a previously prepared salad or soup and salad. Then for dinner I like to cook a fresh meal with enough leftovers to concoct a lunch for later.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chilli, bolognese, stew...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make a ton of soups, stews, curries, chilis, etc and freeze them in portions. Just this weekend I made split pea soup, curry lentil soup, cauliflower rice and beans, and a spicy chicken chili. 34 servings for my freezer.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I make a ton of soups, stews, curries, chilis, etc and freeze them in portions. Just this weekend I made split pea soup, curry lentil soup, cauliflower rice and beans, and a spicy chicken chili. 34 servings for my freezer.

Yummy
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some meal ideas for at work. I normally have a salad at 12 and a salad at 3 at my desk. It's getting too cold for just having salads now we're getting into winter and just trying to find dishes to replace my salads.

I have started to make soups, mainly stock based soups rather than cream based ones.

I do limit pasta/potatoes/rice & bread through the day & eat that sort of thing on a night instead, just personal preference.

So any veg/meat/fish dishes anyone can think of?

Thanks

Hard boiled eggs, omelet muffins, deviled eggs
    Stuffed tomato, peppers or zucchini
    Zucchini noodles
    Lentil or bean salads or soups
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/p/blog-page.html
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm still eating salads here but they have changed with the season.

I like kale w/ dried cranberries or apple/pear slices and a bit of goat cheese, maybe some nuts

I like to add leftover roasted butternut squash to a green salad. It's great w/ a vinegrette that has a bit of curry added to it. And maybe some golden raisons for sweet to go with it. Or, I might leave out the green salad and just have the butternut w/ a splash of vinegrette cold.

Marinated bean salads are good. Or lentils. They keep for the week and really fill me up.

And, brussel sprouts. I bring slivered raw BS's for my lunch at work at least 2-3 times per week. Love them with a dressing of lemon, tahini and garlic.

When winter really hits, I like the above w/ a cup of hot broth. We often have soups for dinner and I might bring a spot of leftover soup in for lunch but mostly I just use it to warm up, not fill up
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Winter squash-
    Our current favorites are spaghetti with butter/parmesan/basil and delicata with butter/vanilla.