Under active thyroid

Options
Hi, anyone else have under active thyroid and is trying to lose weight? Decided to use this app and try healthier eating, any tips would be helpful, thanks

Replies

• cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Did your doctor diagnose a thyroid disorder?
    If so, I would go with a doctor's advice first regarding hypothyroidism.
    Some people like to "self-diagnose" a thyroid problem because they have trouble managing their weight.
    Either way, I would make that clear in the post and I would make sure you are following a doctor's advice about what is safe to do.

You say you are going to "try healthier eating" but you do not mention getting any exercise.

In general, presuming you are healthy enough to manage it:
    (1) Eat a good diet with plenty of protein.
    (2) Get plenty of exercise (30 minutes per day?) with a focus on heavy weight training.
    (3) Aim for "losing" about 1 or 2 pounds per week
    (4) Accept that this is a long-term lifestyle change.

Sometimes people who think they have an "Under active thyroid" simply do not make good choices when it comes to diet and exercise.
  • DawnNathan
    DawnNathan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had a thyroidectomy a couple of years ago and the part that remained didn't pick up the slack as projected. With proper medication, low carbs, medium protein & high fat. I have been able to lose 92 lbs in 11 months. Please feel free to add me as a friend. Cheers!
  • Lamby62
    Lamby62 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am now 64, was diagnosed with under active thyroid 17 years ago after tests were done my doctor put me on daily medication, I attend a Pilates class once a week and can manage moderate paced walking
    I keep a daily record of food on this app am trying to cut back on carbs and increase my protein to see if this will help, thank you Dawn x