Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

New Guardian Piece - More Calories Are Consumed Through Alcohol Than Sugar Sweetened Beverages

Options
GottaBurnEmAll
GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
There are some other interesting tidbits too. I really wish the United States had been included in this, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/17/brits-calories-alcohol-sugary-drinks

I found the calorie consumption figures at the end fascinating.
Euromonitor’s nutrition data also shows that the average daily consumption of calories in the world is 1,398 calories, with the lowest amount in India at 761 calories per capita per day and the highest in Belgium at 2,559 calories per capita per day. It also shows that most of the developing countries it tracked (78%) get more calories from packaged food than fresh food.

Lots of fodder for discussion here.

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Euromonitor’s nutrition data also shows that the average daily consumption of calories in the world is 1,398 calories, with the lowest amount in India at 761 calories per capita per day and the highest in Belgium at 2,559 calories per capita per day

Ummm... No, just no.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Euromonitor’s nutrition data also shows that the average daily consumption of calories in the world is 1,398 calories, with the lowest amount in India at 761 calories per capita per day and the highest in Belgium at 2,559 calories per capita per day

Ummm... No, just no.

I don't put a lot of faith in The Guardian on a good day, but even these numbers seem a little... off.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Most people are unaware that alcohol can make you gain weight, because – unlike food – the number of calories are not routinely marked on beer cans and bottles of wines and spirits.

I've noticed this here in the US as well and it always makes me scratch my head. I'm guessing the alcohol lobby has been able to prevent a requirement to include nutrition info on alcohol packaging.

Interesting info. I would be interested to see how the numbers were calculated.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't see why the numbers are so surprising. They are averages, meaning there will be people who eat less than that number and people who eat more.

India is in essence a third-world country in a lot of areas. That average is not really surprising to me.

The average of 1398 daily average calories worldwide seems low, but that number is skewed by other poverty-stricken countries. Most Western countries will obviously have a higher intake than that. Almost half of the world's population lives on less than $2.50 per day, with 80% living on less than $10 per day (http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats).

With that information, it is not surprising that many places in the world would eat less calories per day than the more wealthy, Westernized nations.

Also, the US was not included in the study - I'd imagine our numbers are higher. I haven't searched for that information, though I'd be interested to see it if anyone knows anything about it.
    Even a very small/thin person (5'0", 100lbs) has a BMR of over 1200 calories. And those in poverty are quite often doing large amounts of manual labor and have a relatively high TDEE compared to people in more developed countries with sedentary lifestyles.

This data looks more realistic: http://chartsbin.com/view/1150
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Most people are unaware that alcohol can make you gain weight, because – unlike food – the number of calories are not routinely marked on beer cans and bottles of wines and spirits.

I've noticed this here in the US as well and it always makes me scratch my head. I'm guessing the alcohol lobby has been able to prevent a requirement to include nutrition info on alcohol packaging.

I always thought it was because Community Red doesn't have calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Is that quote at the top from the article? Are they serious? Most people are unaware that alcohol can make you gain weight?? Most people? Where the heck did they get that "data"? Who the heck drinks alcohol and thinks it's calorie free?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Is that quote at the top from the article? Are they serious? Most people are unaware that alcohol can make you gain weight?? Most people? Where the heck did they get that "data"? Who the heck drinks alcohol and thinks it's calorie free?

Sadly I do know some people like that. According to them the calories in alcohol are 'minimal' to non-existent and as a result negligible. After all, it's alcohol, by which they mean it's something consumed for pleasure and not nourishment. When you point out that that double serving of red wine they've poured is upwards of 200 cals, they just shake their heads in disbelief and look at you as a freak. :neutral:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Sadly I do know some people like that. According to them the calories in alcohol are 'minimal' to non-existent and as a result negligible. After all, it's alcohol, by which they mean it's something consumed for pleasure and not nourishment. When you point out that that double serving of red wine they've poured is upwards of 200 cals, they just shake their heads in disbelief and look at you as a freak. :neutral:

What's really funny is when they then criticize me at a later date for drinking my calories (adding protein powder or coconut oil to coffee) because they like to "eat their calories" . LOL
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Who the heck drinks alcohol and thinks it's calorie free?

Are we talking beer, or gin?
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

My dad has no idea about calories. He thinks because he buys the keystone light that it's fine to drink 12 because, hey, it's light beer. Then tells me I shouldn't eat my pudding because I'm on a diet and it's bad. Doesn't matter how many times I tell him it's accounted for in my day, he just doesn't understand. Then my mom told him that honey is better for him than sugar, so he makes his peanut butter and honey sandwiches and just piles it on like it's totally fine. It's like the blind leading the blind at my parents house.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Drives me absolutely bonkers that calories aren't included on labels! I don't drink anything with calories besides 1-2 alcoholic beverages on the weekends. I estimate it's around 200 calories per bottle. My husband can easily drink 6 bottles in a weekend, which really adds up in calories.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

You'd be surprised at how many people think there is no need to log rum and Diet Coke, since there are no calories in Diet Coke.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I don't see why the numbers are so surprising. They are averages, meaning there will be people who eat less than that number and people who eat more.

It says that the average person in India consumes 761 calories per day. So there must be people eating 400 calories per day for this to be true. I find that surprising and hard to believe.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

It says that the average person in India consumes 761 calories per day. So there must be people eating 400 calories per day for this to be true. I find that surprising and hard to believe.

https://www.indiafoodbanking.org/hunger

People starve to death in India every day, many of them children.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    People starve to death in Sudan, too, but India's average is the lowest on the planet. And The Guardian is not a reputable source.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! This site never ceases to blow my mind.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    See? This is why I enjoy being a total lightweight (and the usual keto diet intensifies that). It only takes about 150 kcal worth of Jameson to have me completely smashed.