What do you do when you are not motivated to work out & lose weight...

Options
Lag & gain back 7Kg, yet seem to have lost the drive to lose weight?
Lost 16 Kg in more than a year. Stopped working out & gained 7 Kg in 2 months! Got back to the gym, but I lost the drive! :( (Sniff)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IDK...I enjoy my workouts...I love to cycle and enjoy being in the weight room...it's not really a chore. Maybe find something you're into...if you like what you're doing you're more likely to stick with it, even on "bad" days.
  • BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe Posts: 114 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    IDK...I enjoy my workouts...I love to cycle and enjoy being in the weight room...it's not really a chore. Maybe find something you're into...if you like what you're doing you're more likely to stick with it, even on "bad" days.

You are right. I used to enjoy my workouts. But I am lagging now.
    Thanks for replying.

• she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    I agree, you need to find something you love to do. Also, once you do it for awhile it's an automatic habit and even when you don't feel motivated you do it anyway because you know how much better you feel when it's all said and done.
  • girlonamissio
    girlonamissio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just have to turn up the music and dance. I know it 's not a huge workout, but gets the blood and oxygen moving and can be a catalyst for my mood.
  • steelhead215
    steelhead215 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, too had been hiding from the gym and despite promises to start again 'tomorrow', I always had an excuse. Gained back all the weight I had lost last winter. I decided I needed a kick-start, and joined a small group make-over training series. It forces me to go since I'm paying for it, I get semi-private training, and am accountable to the others in the group as well. I'm feeling better already. I was only going to attend for the 6-week series, but I feel like I still need some accountability before I'm confident that I will be motivated to get up @4:30 am and get my butt to the gym on my own.
    If a PT isn't for you, try to find a work-out buddy that you know is gung-ho. It always is more fun when you have a buddy, and you also feel more accountable on those days when it's easy to talk yourself out of a work-out.

Good luck!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I can't say I love going to the gym, but I go everyday. I will never love it.

Getting it over first thing in the morning is the best part about going to the gym. It is just something I have to do, like brushing my teeth, taking a shower, etc. I have only missed one day at the gym in 20 months, and that was because of a snow storm.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If it all feels like too much, have you considered taking a "just for today" approach? I love this idea (can't take credit for it though), because some days the long-term goal seems so far away. Some days I only want to sit on the couch and eat. So I make a deal with myself just for today. Tomorrow is another day. Here is a thread with some great JFT thoughts and also a group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10099482/just-for-today-daily-commitment-thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/108966-just-for-today
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Fortunately motivation hasn't been an issue but I know there will come a time once I get to maintenence that it will be. Luckily, there is plenty available in the former of old pictures.
  • grillinginthenameof
    Options
    I often start the day with every intention of going to the gym after work. Having my gym bag packed and everything ready to go really helps. But a lot of the time work becomes stressful and around 3:00 pm I am feeling like doing anything but going to the gym after work. I know it's a crutch and it doesn't work for everybody, but caffeine usually helps me get back on track. A cup of green tea, coffee, or sometimes even diet Monster energy drink will usually work for me. This is more of a solution for in the moment when you don't feel like going to the gym. Motivating yourself to start going after taking a hiatus is a different story.

Sometimes browsing the success stories here on the MFP community and looking at other people's before and afters helps me get motivated too. Good luck, OP. You can do it! Anybody can. No excuses!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I have a kind of tiered system, I guess. Exercises and activities that are more of a "workout" and then what I consider the bare minimum for health and wellness. Working out is something that's optional. My leisurely five mile walk in the morning while I'm drinking my coffee (to avoid being completely sedentary which is unacceptable for good health) is just a great way to start my day - I enjoy it, it's not forced and since it's tied to my coffee habit it feels weird to skip it.

Maybe set an easy, minimum level of exercise for yourself scheduled for first thing in the morning you can default to when motivation is lacking? Preferably it should be something at home so it's not something you have to go out of your way to accomplish.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If i get the touch of cant-be-bothered-itis, I think to myself whats harder? Being obese and miserable and chronically sick or going for a workout? hmmmmm, that usually gives me the boost I need.
  • mylanaqua
    mylanaqua Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There's been many times I lost the drive to even work out. They'll be days with sleepless nights, just overwhelmed with stress family and work. But when you feel the lack of motivation, that's when the discipline needs to kick in and you just got to DO IT. As cliché as it may sound you got to then make it an obligation and hope one day your motivation kicks back in to make it easier and more enjoyable.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What do I do? Well it seems I trash talk myself, eat chocolate, shame myself a little more, eat cake, feel guilty, eat chocolate to make myself feel better, go to bed vowing tomorrow will be different, turns out it's not.....

I'm trying really hard to break the cycle so I hear what your saying.... it's hard. Today I'm trying to give myself a break, be kind to myself and just aiming for 10000 steps, nothing else, food has not been great but I'm ok with that because I'm 400 steps off 10000 GO ME!! I'm hoping by just moving a little more than I have been (ok a lot more) I will find the joy in it again and hopefully somewhere on a walk find the joy in me again.

So my advice, stop hating yourself for putting weight back on. Be kind to yourself no matter how small the gesture and acknowledge each day is a gift. I'm trying that anyway, hope it works...
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Think about your reasons for wanting to get in better shape? Motivation will come and go it's not 100% fixed. If your body needs to rest- let it, but you can't stay there.

Try something different. It's easy to get bored doing the same old things. I started group gym classes: zumba, body conditioning and yoga. You don't have to be perfect just keep moving. When I'm down I just walk around going down new paths and roads I haven't traveled before.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Face the fact that if you don't go back you're gong to regain the weight ..all of it..and then some. Because you will. I don't know what you're routine was at the gym. But if you went for an hour.. start going for 20 minutes to start. Just get back to it... for me.. if I don' have music to listen too it seems like I'm on the elliptical forever.

So have music...a device to watch t.v. or movies... try these things as you work out to see if it goes faster and seems more fun. Get back to it don't sabotage all your hard work!!!
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying. I'll gain back more if I don't something about it. There's nothing worse than having to start from the beginning.
    Options
    Face the fact that if you don't go back you're gong to regain the weight ..all of it..and then some. Because you will. I don't know what you're routine was at the gym. But if you went for an hour.. start going for 20 minutes to start. Just get back to it... for me.. if I don' have music to listen too it seems like I'm on the elliptical forever.

So have music...a device to watch t.v. or movies... try these things as you work out to see if it goes faster and seems more fun. Get back to it don't sabotage all your hard work!!!

From what you have written, are you using the elliptical machine only as cardio workout? How's it going? I like the elliptical & used to do that mostly for about 40 mins. But, I am worried whether it will put on muscles on legs & the last place I need to gain is my legs. Did you experience anything of that sort? Thanks.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My diet had changed for far healthier options now I doubt I could gain weight
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!