Binging before period

Options
How do you control your binge eating before your period or during your PMS? There's a fine line between indulging and binging. I think I can not control my trigger for sweets and go overboard before and during my time.

Replies

• thedevilscoffin
    thedevilscoffin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suck at this too. Every month I buy a can of pringles and a symphony bar.
  • creasys_bean2011
    creasys_bean2011 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. Try healthy fat alternatives. I know this sounds crazy, but I make avocado pudding
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had four bowls of cereals. :(
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ugh! This is the worst! I'm a binge eater. Some days are good, some not so good, but the days leading up to my period are the worst! I'm ravenous! Like nothing satisfies me. Not sweets, not cards, not greezy cheezy! Nothing!
    And I always feel so gross and upset with myself once my binge is over. It's nice to know i'm not the only one.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It's SO hard...
  • Okohme
    Okohme Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't control it, I redirect it. I eat carrots. About 10lbs of carrots a month. I use them in place of chips with guacamole, fat free Greek yourt and salsa, and occasionally a little bit of queso. I know its just mindless eating and the chewing involved with carrots and their volume satisfies at least some of the cravings involved.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I try to increase my fats, and take a Magnesium supplement. It seems to help.
  • Allie271175
    Allie271175 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are generally low in progesterone a week before. Try a herbal tincture Vitex Agnes Castus to balance this, it helps me with the cravings and binge eating before mine.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid starting, otherwise it's pretty much over... Carbs like bread seem to be the only thing that actually stops my cravings though, so I try to eat more of them, and avoid the sweet stuff. I usually fail miserably and end up eating less the rest of the time to make up for it.
  • FitLaughLove
    FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem!!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I don't binge myself, so no advice there, *but* I can sympathize with the cravings. Popcorn, baby carrots, and gum help some. If cravings are particularly intense, I fit in what I can and then leave my room to study elsewhere or take a walk or something WITHOUT carrying any form of money on me. No way to access stuff=no way to overeat.
  • Melly_Mel_89
    Melly_Mel_89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with anything sweet! I usually try to keep my house free of any sweets during PMS, because most of the time I'm too lazy to run to the store and grab something. LOL
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but this problem has only gotten worse as I have gotten older!! Now it's not just that I am craving it, I am actually hungry! I will have a night where I just can't stop eating and like clockwork, I will start the next day.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you do indulge, how do you feel the following day?
    I only ask because I have noticed that just before my period, I get really strong hunger/cravings, but if I do actually "overeat" I find the following day I am just not hungry, and can come in well under goal, so it does somewhat balance out...as long as I don't go too overboard.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ugh! This is the worst! I'm a binge eater. Some days are good, some not so good, but the days leading up to my period are the worst! I'm ravenous! Like nothing satisfies me. Not sweets, not cards, not greezy cheezy! Nothing!
    And I always feel so gross and upset with myself once my binge is over. It's nice to know i'm not the only one.

This is how I am too. Exactly how I am!
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I suck at this too. Every month I buy a can of pringles and a symphony bar.

Now totally want a symphony bar
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ugh...totally going through this right now.
  • kshields8455
    kshields8455 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I binge eat the week before too! Its almost uncontrollable cravings for sweets. Maybe we should buy realy dark chocolate bars, like 70% cocoa has very little sugar
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »
    If you do indulge, how do you feel the following day?
    I only ask because I have noticed that just before my period, I get really strong hunger/cravings, but if I do actually "overeat" I find the following day I am just not hungry, and can come in well under goal, so it does somewhat balance out...as long as I don't go too overboard.

It depends. Like, I binged on Sunday and then on Monday, I was alright, ate normally then yesterday I binged again. Some months, it does not happen at all. And on some months, it's horribly painful to control hunger on such days. I don't beat myself up for binging once or twice every two months though. Although I feel really sluggish the following days of binge eating.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. Try healthy fat alternatives. I know this sounds crazy, but I make avocado pudding

That wouldn't work for me. I actually did try that one time. Ended up with 12xx calories in avocado pudding :(

Personally, I haven't found a way to handle that yet other than grin and bear it knowing it would go away soon. I eat at maintenance every month but it's still not enough, so that's where good old willpower comes in handy. I just keep reminding myself "just a couple more days". I just came to accept it as a normal fact of life and focus on damage control rather than trying to be perfect.